Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I don't want to turn this into a WHS thread/debate by any means, but I have to say I can't recommend to stay away enough. Between the sluggishness and the current file corruption bug, I'm scared as hell that my data is on it right now. And the constant loving "storage balancing" routine is annoying as hell.

I used Server 2003 and a hardware RAID5 card with 4 IDE drives forever, and then moved into WHS when I needed to expand. So now I'm looking for the following things:

- A redundant file system, in some form or another.
- The ability to share the storage pool as one large share, as opposed to a lot of individual shares.
- The ability to scale fairly easily and well in regards to adding additional drives.

Right now I'm looking at unRAID, which seems like it will fit my needs pretty well. Now all I have to do is worry about migrating over from WHS. Right now I have a 300gb, a 250gb, and a 500gb. My plan is to:

- Buy two 750gb drives.
- Install unRAID, using one of the 750gb as parity.
- Detach each drive one at a time from WHS and add the files manually to the shares on the unRAID box.
- As I clear out the files on each drive, I'll add that drive to the array.

Any thoughts to the plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

stephenm00 posted:

I just finished my build today. I am transferring all my media from my readynas to the unraid. I will let you know how it goes.

Keep us updated, I'm in the same situation as kri kri. :)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

HPL posted:

I'm pretty sure it does because I recall doing the setup wizard, seeing the JBOD option and description and thinking "Nah, I don't want that".

And does JBOD store the files in a manner that if one drive fails, you only lose the data on that one drive?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm looking to replace my current server, which is a home built server running Windows Home Server 2011 (lol). Right now I have about 18TB across a handful of drives, and some software called Stablebit DrivePool to make it appear as one giant share on the network. It's running SAB, Sonarr, and recently Plex.

I'm looking at Synology boxes since they seem to be the pick when it comes to something that Just Works, one with at least six bays like the DS1621+ with six 12TB drives. I have a bunch of questions since I haven't had to do this in like a decade:

1) is it easy to install stuff like SAB/Plex/etc into the Synology box? I'm used to just downloading the Windows installers and RDC'ing into the box to handle updates and any sort of troubleshooting that pops up.

2) I'm seeing a lot of conflicting stuff about SMR and other acronyms in regards to newer hard drives. Is there a good pick for 12TB? Right now I have Seagate/WD drives in my server.

3) One of the reasons for the upgrades is the addition of Plex to my setup. My father in law moved in with us, and I setup Plex just for him so he could have access to some of our local media but not all of it via his AppleTV (he gets easily overwhelmed so I didn't want to just plop hundreds of shows/movies in front of him, plus he has his own stuff that I want to keep separate from mine). Him running Plex and SAB extracting files causes the server to hang a bit, especially when I'm trying to stream 4K stuff from it. Would the DS1621 be able to handle all of that?

4) Should I get a SSD on top of the 6x HDDs for OS stuff? I'd definitely do that for a Windows machine, but I'm not sure how it all works. I'd rather spend some cash up front now and have this thing last a decade or so.

5) One thing I like about the current setup is that I can add/remove drives pretty easily via DrivePool. I don't do it often, but it's a nice feature to have. How would that work on the Synology box?

6) I'm familiar with RAID1/5, but not so much SHR1/2. What's the recommendation nowadays? Right now important stuff on my Mac is being backed up via Time Machine and Backblaze. Important stuff on the server (pretty much just photos and music, so less than 200gb) is duplicated via DrivePool onto two different physical disks, and I have it backed up in the cloud as well. I'm not hugely concerned with losing video files, but I don't want the whole thing to die because one disk does.

7) Once I get the thing built, what's the recommendation for moving the files over reliably? I think I used something like Robocopy last time. Everything will be connected to a gigabit LAN.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Takes No Damage posted:

1) I use FreeNAS with jails, but in general there are tons of video and forum tutorials for getting stuff like that set up on any conceivable device. Even more so if you use something like Docker. The only thing nerds work harder to get installed and working than Sonarr/Radarr/Plex etc is DooM. Just look up a handful of tutorials on Youtube and you'll get an idea of the basic process, and in general the steps are all going to be very similar between the different apps.

2) Anything above 8TB (I believe?) never had SMR used so they should be safe. WD Reds are still great NAS drives, everyone is still just side-eyeing WD for them trying to sneak cheaper tech into their smaller NAS line of drives. Very roughly, $15/TB is a good price point.

3) Is this all going to be local streaming? Transcoding is usually the main resource bottleneck, and depending on the device Plex may have to transcode everything to certain devices. The box you're looking at seems pretty new, but there are several benchmark videos about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bcaDAJkGv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6JED2PjfA0

1) Yeah I've seen Docker mentioned in the SAB thread so I'll check out some tutorials.
2) Good to know! Thanks. :)
3) Yeah, all local streaming. Living in the sticks means that I have lovely internet. :/

I'll check the videos and see what I can come up with. I have a Shield for my stuff so it'll just be doing direct playback, so it's only the FIL's Apple TV that might require transcoding. I have to imagine anything would be better than what I have now.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Axe-man posted:

DS1618+ doesn't have hardware transcoding so you are basing it totally on the cpu which honestly is not going to have the power that plex would like for it.

What would be a good Synology pick for transcoding then? Most of my stuff will be direct play but I want to be sure I can transcode stuff for the future.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Axe-man posted:

Ironically, the transcoding NAS are all the lower end residential, but, i would recommend for best performance, the following units from personal experience:DS720+ , DS920+ or DS1520+ all have same processor, but the DS1520+ has 4 ethernet ports for link aggregation if you need multiple users and 8 gigs of ram instead of 4 in the DS920+ and 2 in the DS720+. They have hardware transcoding, and are using Gemini Lake refresh.

If you have only a few users you can get away with a DS218+, DS418+ , in my opinion though expect less performance than the others.

The other option is to just handbrake to convert all your videos into a format that anyone can use.

It's a shame the DS1520+ only has 5 bays. I was looking at the Ds1821+ but it seems to have the same basic specs as the DS1621+ just with two more drive bays.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

H110Hawk posted:

If you're getting into the territory where you have more users transcoding than space and network you shouldn't run plex on the NAS. Ironically the ram is unlikely to have much impact on plex workloads unless your plex ram usage itself for the database or whatever balloons up. Using it as block cache on large media files isn't going to save you unless you have small files (1gb/hr) and very high hot spotting (lots of users watching the same few things.)

At most three people in house and one outside using it, but more often two people streaming at the same and that's it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I have a dumb question about Synology boxes I can't seem to find an answer to. I'm looking at buying the 8 bay unit, but can't find any 12tb drives that aren't pricey as heck. If I start with 3x 10tb drives now, and add 12tb drives later, will I be able to use the extra 2tb of storage in the pool? This page seems to imply it will, but I figured I'd check.

My plan is to start with 3 drives and add one or two a month until the server is full.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

H110Hawk posted:

Yes. Also go to their shr/raid calculator. It will show you exactly how much space you get with each combination. It's neato.

Thanks!

I ended up shucking 4x 14tb drives this morning and getting everything installed. I'm setting up the server now and it asked me to choose between btrfs or ext4, so now I'm going down a rabbit hole. Is there a clear choice?

For reference: this thing will be running SAB/Sonarr/Plex and serving up files to no more than three or four devices at the same, and 90% of the time it will probably be only two. One ShieldTV that plays everything natively via Kodi (including 4k), and one AppleTV that will use Plex (not including 4k stuff).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I've got the DS1821+ setup using three 14tb drives. Now I have data from the old Windows server that's on 3x 4tb drives and 3x 2tb drives that I need to start copying over.

My original plan was to install the drives from the Windows box into the Synology and copy everything locally, but it doesn't seem the Synology will mount NTFS drives internally, only via the USB interface. I got that from googling around, so please tell me if I'm wrong. I have to imagine it will take 1000x longer to do ~16tb of data via USB than doing it internally, but I'm new to Synology so I don't know.

How would y'all go about transferring this much data over?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Do you have a decent network connection between the old windows server and the new Synology? (Or just a Windows machine if the old server has died). Transferring that way will likely be as fast as the drives can do.

It's gigabit LAN. I mounted the Synology share on the old Windows machine and did a test, about 20 minutes for 85gb. So around 3 days worth of copying stuff that way, if I'm doing the math correct. Guess I'll be babysitting it for awhile.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Rooted Vegetable posted:

True but that's within range of the maximum throughput of the drives in question. I don't think LAN transfer is slowing you down vs. locally connected read. You're gaining a lot of not worrying about filesystems etc and are using both devices as intended.

It's going pretty well so far. I've got all the data off 3 of the 4 2tb drives. I'm worried about the last one as I was having some issues accessing it last week, but it seems to be working fine so far.

Any good tutorials for learning and setting up Docker for stuff like SAB/Sonarr? I have a real basic, surface level understanding of what Docker is and why it's good to use it.

According to the Sonarr discord there's no real way to migrate an install from a Windows box to a Synology, and I am dreading having to go in and adjust all the series and replicate everything. SAB should be easy, although it will be sad to lose the 11 years worth of history on the thing.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

wolrah posted:

It is definitely possible to edit the database backup directly to keep the existing data with new paths, but whether it's worth the trouble is up to you and depends on your comfort level with SQL.

I have zero experience with SQL, unfortunately.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Has anyone here setup Wireguard on their Synology via Docker? A friend mentioned I should look into that as opposed to opening holes in my router to access SAB/Sonarr, and I'm googling around now to see what's involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

tuyop posted:

I have WireGuard running on a raspberry pi and unless you’re fairly comfortable with docker networking I’d recommend just using Synology’s VPN server* instead. WireGuard is nice and lightweight but it’s not like OpenVPN is bad at all.

* unless the client is an iPhone. As of last year there didn’t seem to be any way to get the config and certificate files from the synology into the ovpn app on iOS.

Unfortunately it's an iPhone