Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

I don't want to turn this into a WHS thread/debate by any means, but I have to say I can't recommend to stay away enough. Between the sluggishness and the current file corruption bug, I'm scared as hell that my data is on it right now. And the constant loving "storage balancing" routine is annoying as hell.

I used Server 2003 and a hardware RAID5 card with 4 IDE drives forever, and then moved into WHS when I needed to expand. So now I'm looking for the following things:

- A redundant file system, in some form or another.
- The ability to share the storage pool as one large share, as opposed to a lot of individual shares.
- The ability to scale fairly easily and well in regards to adding additional drives.

Right now I'm looking at unRAID, which seems like it will fit my needs pretty well. Now all I have to do is worry about migrating over from WHS. Right now I have a 300gb, a 250gb, and a 500gb. My plan is to:

- Buy two 750gb drives.
- Install unRAID, using one of the 750gb as parity.
- Detach each drive one at a time from WHS and add the files manually to the shares on the unRAID box.
- As I clear out the files on each drive, I'll add that drive to the array.

Any thoughts to the plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

stephenm00 posted:

I just finished my build today. I am transferring all my media from my readynas to the unraid. I will let you know how it goes.

Keep us updated, I'm in the same situation as kri kri.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

HPL posted:

I'm pretty sure it does because I recall doing the setup wizard, seeing the JBOD option and description and thinking "Nah, I don't want that".

And does JBOD store the files in a manner that if one drive fails, you only lose the data on that one drive?