Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I'm looking for a 1 TB drive to go in my tower as I'm getting the feeling that my main drive is going to go completely up the spout really, really soon. Ever since I installed Vista late last Fall, once in a while it'll seem like the drive's completely spun down because I hear the whirr of it spinning up while my computer freezes for about 5 seconds. Last weekend, I also began to hear an occasional electrical noise when it does this. As such, I hope to replace it as soon as I can.

What's a good, reliable 1 TB hard drive with good power usage and— in particular— a good price point? I want to go as cheap as possible while also getting something that's not going to crap out on me while I'm ghosting my existing drive over to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Evilkiksass posted:

ManiacClown: Are you sure you just don't have hard drive spin down enabled? Go look in the power options.

I went into the power options and the only thing I could find like this was the setting to turn off the drive when it's inactive for a certain period. That's definitely not it, because it did it again right after I'd changed it to 60 minutes. For the record, it even does it when I'm playing games, plus I've turned off indexing on the relevant partitions. Of course, this is getting into HoTS territory, but it is also getting more frequent. What's the Vista "hard drive thrashing" I've heard about sound like.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I'm looking for a networked storage solution for the law firm I'm interning for. Right now, the best value for projected reliability seems to be Apple's Time Capsule hard drive, even though this is an all-Windows network. Apparently the Time Capsule is a copy-only drive, not allowing you to directly save to it. With Windows, there's software you have to install to get Windows to mount the drive and write to it.

Given this, I'm wondering if there's any automatic backup program out there that'll work with the Time Capsule, particularly allowing each computer to back itself up into a different folder. I know from shsc.info that robocopy exists for backing up a Windows machine, but the two questions are A) can it back up to Time Capsule and B) is it compatible with both XP and Vista? Does anybody know?

Edit: Apparently you can just map the drat thing as a network drive and it'll work just fine like that. Isn't it lovely when not everybody at the manufacturer is saying the same thing?

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 17, 2008