Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

I run a PC shop and we are ceasing sales of all Synology devices, effective immediately.

Any reports of non-raided Synology NAS's having issues? I've got a DS-108j here that ran it's first drive like a champ for 3 years, and that drive is still going in a USB enclosure next to it while it's new main drive reports no issues...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Been reading through the thread but I am not sure what people's feelings really are on drive pooling which isn't raid. I'm planning on an HP Microserver (either N54L or a Gen8) + Ubuntu (likely) to replace my current setup... Which is a old netbook, wine starter, a bunch of external drives and importantly Drive Bender.

I've got no massive need or desire for raid, so a year or two ago, drive pooling with Drive Bender was perfect for me. Especially important was the folder level redundancy/duplication and also the readability of drives if I had to use one individually for any reason... And I can reuse that pile of usb drives of different sizes I had.

Ok... Thing is, I can't find the recommended Linux alternative to Drive Bender that really meets the three needs above (selective duplication, single drive readable and heterogeneous drive combination)... Greyhole seems to be closer but a search isn't revealing thoughts on this?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

eightysixed posted:

I am so sorry I missed this :smith:

I'm gunning to get one in Canada or shipped to just next to the US border at this price. I'm wondering if we set up some sort of alert email list for these.....

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

You can also use camelcamelcamel to watch Amazon/etc.

Excellent advice. I'm getting up camelcamelcamel when I get home. The drives are about the same price up here (well, a little more tax) so no massive need there.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Yikes, it's not like I've got a lot of memory kicking about on my download box...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Trillest Parrot posted:

I want it to read my existing NTFS files, will it do that?

It will read, but not write if I recall

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Hey what are people's thoughts on Open Media Vault? I know FreeNAS appears to be the beloved, but I wanted to have a look round for something that meets my needs as a Torrent, Sabnzbd etc. All good so far, but no easy ZFS (if that's a route I want to go). Main advantage is easy web based admin (something I miss from using my old Synology)

Amahi is also another route I could go.

However, some folks are feeling like they outgrow it quickly... with that in mind, I'm wondering if I just go to Ubuntu Server now and roll my own solution now based on a combination of webmin and the things I listed above...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Probably should have also mentioned I was after Crashplan as well (and dropbox, and owncloud)... from reading forums Crashplan is tricky on Nas4Free and FreeBSD?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Crackbone posted:

So, if you just need storage with low I/O (like serving media), is there any reason not to do something like green drives with a Windows OS + Drive Bender or something similar? As I understood it a good while ago TLER doesn't do dick to software-based pooling/RAID solutions.

I've got spare windows licenses out the wazoo, and it would be nice to have some server functions on the NAS box (plex server, etc) on top of storing data.

I dont find windows licences quite as plentiful but I'm in the same position... I just cant find realistic options for linux except greyhole or snapraid (the later not really handling drive pooling either)

Worse though, and unfortunately feeding the "always use raid under every circumstances ever" argument, is that i seem to have had my first drive failure under windows and drive bender...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

I think Snapraid or Drive Bender would be fine for something that simple, I've used it in the past and it's pretty painless. The GUI addon with Snapraid was quite buggy last time I bothered with it, I ended up using the CLI and had no issues.

The missing part from Snapraid is drive pooling... So far all my research indicates that aufs would do the job but has been removed from Ubuntu (in favour of OverlayFS, which isnt implemented fully yet). On Windows, DriveBender is doing this fantastically. I'm actually starting to come back to the idea of using Greyhole for it, but I'm going to pay a cost of higher CPU use, I won't get the near realtime duplication, but do get the chance to duplicate by share and span shares across drives...

SnapRAID is impressive, please dont get me wrong. I'm wondering if I can use it for what I want to do, but it's just lacking a few things that I really want to make the day to day effortless...

Realistically I need to start documenting all of the pro's and cons of all of this as I'm getting myself mixed up.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah, I was just throwing it out there in case he wanted something free. If you want drive pooling and redundancy there are some other solutions - Stablebits Drivepool, Flexraid, etc. I use Flexraid personally as I needed drive pooling as well, I used Snapraid in the past when I just needed a parity backup on our Windows machines at home.

If you don't care about getting your hands dirty then ZFS is always an option too.

It's starting to look like it might end up being the $60 license for Flexraid... Which annoys me as I can see a lot of free solutions that could work... But have one fatal flaw (aufs for example on its way to being desupported).

That said, I'm trying to work out if aufs is worth the effort, because it might well be...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

DashingGentleman posted:

I use aufs for pooling. This leaves the drives individually accessible but adds an extra mount point which treats them as one big partition. Mhddfs is another option that allows this and snapraid includes a pooling solution of its own these days, but I haven't tried it and have no idea how well it's implemented.

Just a question about that, how do you hand the automatic mounting of the AuFS mount? I was looking at adding it to fstab, but it appears that's not executed sequentially (e.g. the aufs line could be executed before the drives are mounted - resulting in a failure)?

Edit: mount command in rc . local appears to do the job... But if there is a better way let me know. I might have to take some of this to the Linux thread.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 29, 2013

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I've been looking at ways to expand my current home server solution (old C2D laptop with 4gb of ram) and was kicking round the following:
8 bay eSata external enclosure - Mediasonic ProBox H82-SU3S2 8 Bay External Hard Drive Enclosure - USB 3.0 & eSATA - $270
(alternatively a 4 bay version for about $100)
eSata Expresscard - StarTech.com 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps ExpressCard eSATA Controller Card (ECESAT32) - $65 (or $40 from Amazon)

Total (not including drives): $310ish + tax

Thing is, as I was looking at this problem, I was wondering if it were cheaper to build an entirely new, and better, mini server + HTPC with that budget or something close to it. Been reading this thread a while but unsure what the best solution for that would be within this budget...

So my question is twofold - the first is should I go that route?

Secondly, with the following in mind, what's a rough recomendations (assume I'll buy WD Reds for the storage drives)?
* Near silent
* As many drive bays as can be achieved (looks like 6 to 8 can be done)
* Preferably some VM support but might bend on that (if using VMs, I might go XPenology on a storage vm and OpenElec on the other)
* 1080p transcoding to anything
* Plex for media serving (and will be doing the transcoding)
* Reasonable power left over support for Sabnzbd+ and the other usual services...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
The gen8 does look good but I'm wondering if it can double as a htpc respectably? The wife/girlfriend acceptability factor is an issue too

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Viper_3000 posted:

I have an old Core2Duo box I'd like to turn into a NAS/Media server. Primary use would be Plex (w/transcoding)/Usenet/Torrents/Storage.

I ended up using Xubuntu for this. I found it useful to be able to VNC/TeamViewer into a desktop environment for some things. Although I expect to burned at the stake for saying so.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Folks can we talk about OpenMediaVault as a home server and nas? I've been running it for about a month, memory usage is tiny, low effort setup for aufs, easy nzbget+sonarr+couchpotato+deluge setup via plugins and Debian backend in case you want to install anything else (E. G. Xrdp and Crashplan). I've hooked up 6 drives for media, have crashplan doing local backups of photos to a different drive and offsite. And I've got my girlfriends Macbook Pro backing up to it via time machine.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

insularis posted:

My last bill for 3TB stored was $2.82/mo.

Am I seriously miscalculating B2's cost? $0.005 * 3000 GB = $15.00/mo. Their pricing calculator gives the same, and a somewhat alarming ~$218/yr total cost

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just curious, does anyone buy the EasyStores and not shuck them? I.e. use them as normal USB drives.

My home server is an old laptop with a pile of drives attached (works better than you'd think) and I was wondering if anyone uses them as-sold?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I've done basically that, but with Ubuntu. Seems a fine plan to me?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

eames posted:

How bad is the janitoring though?

Autoupdate takes care of the OS nicely in my case. I'll occasionally ssh in and see pending updates but that's explainable by logging in before the updates were applied at night. No major janitorial duties.

EDIT: My answer assumes everything is in Docker and you're running stable channels where you can. Also setup is about as much effort as anywhere else if you know what you're doing. Keep in mind I liked my Synology when I had it, and I'm an OpenMediaVault fan even if I no longer use it.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 7, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Why did you stop using OMV?

A few reasons (but I moved away some time ago so can't remember the specifics):
1. Plugin system grew a bit tiresome for me. I was janitoring quite a bit keeping up with Plex versions for example.
2. The WebUI wasn't where I wanted it to be in terms of ease for some things. SSH Keys is an example.
3. Honestly I only really have one user (me) who uses it.
4. It wasn't saving me time anymore
5. After the fact: Docker began to give me the advantages from the plugin system
6. GRAB YOUR PITCHFORKS: I'm happy with just a pile of USB drives plugged into an old laptop as my home server/nas. No raid etc. Backed up off site nightly for important stuff.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Pulled the trigger on a Lenovo TS430, used, CAD$205 delivered to the door. Way too good a deal to pass up, even if it's used and scuffed, I'll be hiding it in a ventilated ikea besta.

Time to get serious about buying more actual drives. Let the EasyStores know I'll be coming for them with a screwdriver and murder in my eyes for the enclosures.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Volguus posted:

Haha, I was about to link one I found on ebay.ca for $145CAD, then I saw it had $749 shipping. Ouch.

It's offering me those as "customers also purchased". Must be nice to have the seller personally fly it out to you from wherever they are.

The trick here was watching eBay and knowing what you are looking for in advance (i.e. research what might work beforehand). In this case I saw the Lenovo ThinkServer TS430 name, knew that it was a decent range of servers for home server usage, googled the Xeon E1220 v2 and decided it would do the trick (you'll always want the next model up than the one you're offered, but I looked past it here). Decided the RAM was enough to get started with and I can add it later. Eating $55 shipping sucked but there was nothing I or the seller could do about it. Paid through eBay + PayPal for all the buyer protection I could get. From discovery to purchase it was about 30 minutes of research to be absolutely sure.

EDIT: That ludicrous $750 shipping listing is only USD$30 shipping if you send it within the US, e.g. to a receiving company.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 31, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
So, while I wait for that TS430 to arrive, I'm starting to have a serious look at Unraid. I've dug through the last 16 pages of this thread in that regard.

So far, my questions are:
  1. How much does it mess with Docker? The reason I ask is because I've used Compose to effortlessly and precisely define my current server. Perhaps, put another way, this question is asking for a comparison to the CLI/Compose usage of Docker.
  2. RAM usage, roughly how much for the OS? Minimum requirements are 2GB, but how much in practice? (I'll add this to the approx usage from my docker containers)
  3. For Cache Drives, I've been lead to believe that if there's an unexpected power outage, the drive contents will likely be lost (despite being persistent storage)? If so, can that be mitigated?
  4. Broad question I can't resist, any reason to stick with Ubuntu Server 18.04 over this?

And now, for questions or points others have raised...

nerox posted:

Also get a low profile USB stick, I use a https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/

It doesn't protrude very far and even 32 gigs seems like is is overkill for unraid.

Now here my main question is what, if anything, unraid does with the extra space (above the 2gb minimum) on the flash drive? Kind of find with it not doing anything and we are talking a few dollars difference at most. Having said that, there's a well argued case here for using a more expensive Single Level Chip USB Flash Drive, as opposed to a MLC/TLC drive (cheaper, more common). Before I really go hunting/deciding through listings of balloons, I was wondering if there was a good reason to have more OS drive space for unraid.

Also that same dude raises concerns about heat generation of USB 3 drives vs. USB 2? Anyone got any further thoughts?

priznat posted:

Unraid Q: I have a 256GB ssd in there now as cache, it seems to be slow at moving things out. I get “cache drive low!” Notifications sometimes and manually tell it to start movin’. Perhaps I should reduce the number of shares using cache? It’s mainly a media server box with some torrenting, probably not anything that really requires a cache anyway.

Did that ever get resolved? I also have an old 256GB SSD that I was planning on using as a cache, and foresee a few weeks of moving a great deal of data onboard.

eames posted:

If you care a lot about power consumption then Unraid isn’t ideal. Their disk spindown features are nice on paper but the OS itself is not (and can’t be) optimized for power consumption. Tools like powertop are completely missing. I did the test on my old machine and found that Unraid idles at 32W with disks spun down while Ubuntu LTS idles at 17W with disks spun down. :shrug:

Did we ever get to the bottom of that difference?

eames posted:

How bad is the janitoring [your ubuntu server] though?

Just so I wasn't entirely full of poo poo when I first answered that, let me be clear that unraid has tempted me in, rather than necessarily wanted to leave plain Ubuntu Server.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
EasyStore 8TBs are known to go down to USD$130. 10TBs have inconsistent price data anecdotally and CamelCamelCamel is still down.

One the Canadian side of things, I've been searching prices and here's a spreadsheet of the prices deals I can find, calculated by price per terabyte. In short, Seagate Expansion 8TB USB 3.0 3.5'' Desktop External Hard Drive (STEB8000100) for CAD$179.99+tax from Canada Computers is the best deal I can find right now.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Rexxed posted:

I thought the seagates usually had their SMR disks inside, meaning slow write times.

Can I present that as a question? How much difference does that truly make? I've seen horror stories and relative comparisons ("it's slower than other technology" statements), but I could do with a somewhat straight answer.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

most if not all of the 6+ TB Seagates have been SMR.
It depends on what you're doing with the drive, but if you're using HDDs in a manner that the average consumer should use them nowadays (i.e. backups, media, even games should be fine,) you're not going to notice a difference. The higher densities even mean writes and reads are faster than a less-dense PMR drive.
Nevertheless, while SMR is definitely more suited for that type of write-seldom, read-often duty, I'd certainly go with appropriate (NAS/enterprise) drives for the purpose of building a NAS or any kind of array, but these cheaper SMR drives would be perfect for backing up the array.

Thanks for the detailed run down.

Based on this, I'm still considering accepting SMR drives for the upcoming Unraid (i.e. JBOD) array based on that as:
  1. Most of the time it will be large files downloading once, then read perhaps a few times before deletion.
  2. There will be a large photo collection on there, the actual files will seldom change (probably never).
  3. No intention of doing actual RAID, i.e. no striping
  4. Wont use it for running an OS and unlikely to use it for VHDs I expect to run quickly, I'll have SSDs for that
  5. Reading some Unraid forum posts, the write habits of unraid are unlike that of a traditional NAS)

That said, the differences between Seagate Barracudas (likely inside the Expansions) and WD Reds (inside most EasyStores and have been found in Elements) are not entirely out of mind. The Reds are known for long spin up times, low heat and vibration for example.

This has given me something to think about as I can reasonably see my usage having no issue with SMR Seagates, but knowledgeable folks are recommending WD Reds for the category of usage I'll fall under.

Canadian Hard Drive shopping: At the moment (although I've not looked hard) it looks like you can get White Label Reds in the WD Elements units, the the 8TB of which is CAD$212.60+tax on Amazon.ca, in other words, $26.58/TB.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

jeff8472 posted:

They we're down to $189.99. Lowest on amazon.ca was $179.99 late last year.

I'd jump at either one of those prices, if they pop up. Hopefully a pattern can be spotted on the price graph.

When CamelCamelCamel isn't up I can not use it for weeks at a time... when it's down....

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Shucked-from-Elements Reds it is. Now just for a Canadian sale...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
That TS430 turned up 6 days early, and now I'm tempted to gather up every hard drive in the house.

I'm actually genuinely wondering if it's worth the electricity to power the <=300gb drives. Heck I'm pondering if the two 500gb drives are worth it. It's not like they are useful just sitting there.

And of course, my cheap side is waiting for those WD Elements 8TB drives to drop below CAD$200... Oh poo poo waiting means the server isn't doing me any good, per the problem above.

In conclusion: I'll spend the weekend weeping on the floor in a pit of indecision.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Daryl Surat posted:

since it's not like I could RMA a drive I shucked from an external enclosure over a year ago.

I've seen discussions of people putting the drives back into the enclosures and successfully RMAing them.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Hed posted:

I drive around with “Keep back 100 ft. Not responsible for damages” on my car.

Always thought fire engines had this to create some space to work in.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
NAS adjacent question: How much actual difference does usb flash drive speed make to Unraid? If any.

I only have some random pny drive spare that I found in my Mum's place from god knows when.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Sort of along those lines, in the Lenovo TS430 I bought I found an LSI MegaRAID 9240-8i, with 2 backplanes and cables. Before I found that (for reasons unknown), the old owner had disconnected the PSU from the backplanes, I was trying to find out why it didn't work and assumed a compatibility problem. I've seen a lot of information about flashing these cards with different firmwares to turn them into HBAs and assumed I needed too... until I connected the backplanes and it worked no problem at all in Unraid.

Thing is, now that I've seen page after page of people telling me flashing to HBA firmware/IT mode, I'm wondering if I need to anyway, and why?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

slidebite posted:

WD 8tb Easystores seem to be at amazon.ca for $202 ea, which according to Camelcamel is about as good as it gets other than black friday, which might be $20 cheaper each.

Any reason not to buy 4 and shuck them?

Haven't seen easystores on there but if you mean WD Elements (seemingly the same) then your assessment is correct.

If you have found actual easystores on Amazon.ca, good grief please post a link

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

apropos man posted:

Is there a tiny battery in a MegaRAID/HBA adaptor? So if you get a complete power failure then there's, like 10ms worth of battery time to flush emergency writes to disk?

Anecdotally I've seen capacitor like behaviour from my one. I can yank the power cord and still get a few seconds of power from it.

However, my card also has a true add-on battery option according to the manual. This maintains the cache etc for a few days.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

slidebite posted:

Got my 4x 8tb Elements from Amazon today.

Just curious, what shucking instructions did you use? I made a pigsear of shucking an Elements (well it was an older mybook but seemingly same design).

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Moey posted:

10tb Easystores (with a free 32gb thumbdrive) are down to [USD]$170 at BestBuy.

Eesh, $220 CAD + driving&effort to go and pick them up... tempting...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Unraid review so far: Like it but have to keep reminding myself it's going to cut down on my Computer Janitoring in the long run. Remember you don't have to gently caress around in /etc/fstab etc when you add a drive to Unraid. That's worth the $89 right there.

Speaking of $89, that's for the 12-drive licence. Part of me wants to go to the unlimited licence immediately but I can only physically get 14 drives into the TS430 before I run out of SATA connections, and have all but filled both 5.25 bays.

All of this aside, any good web based ways to give my Mum easy to use, reasonably secure (i.e. u/p) ways to give my Mum access to the 500gb of old files I managed to save from her old PC? (long story but I cannot easily physically get them to her). Nextcloud/Owncloud generally feel overkill.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

Pay for Dropbox / Google drive / etc. Or mail her something.

Should have said web accessible, but self hosted on the server.