Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Am I remembering correctly that someone said not to buy HDDs from Newegg here due to an unusually high rate of failure? I'm going to pick up a 4TB HGST drive and it's currently $30 cheaper st Newegg. If $30 is the difference between a reliable and an unreliable drive, I'll buy it from Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I’ve got 4, 4TB Reds, they are the EFAX version so likely SMR, sitting in boxes next to my server. I was going to set them up in RaidZ as an upgrade for my home server.

I should just return them to Amazon, right? I’m still within the return window.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

DrDork posted:

Ah poo poo, I forgot about that. Welp. Sounds like a good impetus to bump up to 8TB drives, especially since the 8TB Easystores are usually cheaper than retail 6TB Reds, and only like $15 more than retail 4TB Reds.

Sucks for corporate users and those poor souls out there who don't have a source of shuckable externals.

I’ll have to get a whole new server since my ThinkServer only supports 6gb drives. Not a huge deal, aside from the cost. It’ll definitely make migrating easier since the ThinkServer only supports 4 drives.

Sure glad I procrastinated on setting up that array.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Does it really have a limit or is that just because 6TB was the max available when the server came out? The only controller limitation I know of is at 2TB, and that'd be for really, really old first-gen SATA/SAS controllers.

It’s a Lenovo TS140, so it’s quite old. You may be right about that being the maximum available drive at the time of release. I looked earlier this year and there’s just not a ton of people trying that because the hardware is so old at this point.

I’ve got to get 8gb drives anyway so I guess I’ll give it a shot. I like that form factor for the server so it’ll be nice if I can keep using it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Since I do love to tinker, I’ve got a R720 on the way. I figured rather than try and migrate everything in my TS140 (which was going to be complicated since I was planing on building a whole new 4 drive array), I’d build up a second server and migrate my files. The R720 has the H710 hardware raid controller. My original thought was to build a RAID5 array out of four drives and then install FreeNAS, pointing at that array.

The research I’ve done today indicates that is a Very Bad Idea, so I’m going to get a different card and flash it to IT mode.

I’ve got a buddy who’s currently running a server with hardware RAID and FreeNAS. It’s a relative new installation, is he risking his data with this config?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I put a couple shucked Easystores into my server and am attempting to run initial testing.

When I try to run a SMART conveyance test, it says it's not supported. I've run the short test without issue and the long test is running now.

They're plugged into my R720's backplane and I'm using a Perc H710 flashed to IT Mode so it just passes through the disks.

Anything to be concerned with about that?