Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can anyone comment on the reliability and general performance of this 2 bay SATA DAS enclosure:

http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/esata-usb-raid-ds3rpro.htm

It seem to be a generic make since its got multiple labels on various websites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How do these consumer NAS boxes handle file locking? ie. two or more clients trying to modify the same file?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Not sure if this is the thread to ask but I couldn't find another one that was more suited.

Recently I bought 2 raid5 DAS boxes and both have issues with my machine. They are both based on the Oxford 936 chipset and seem to be the best in their class.

One is the OWC Mercury Elite Qx2
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEQX2KIT0GB/

The other is a Raidon GR5630-4S-WBS2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816142003&cm_re=raidon-_-16-142-003-_-Product

The hard drives I'm using are Samsung HD204UI 2TB drives which have all passesd a full surface scan with Samsung's ESTOOL and a low level format.

The machine I'm connecting these two boxes to is a Shuttle SP35P2 Pro which has an Intel ICH9 sata controller running in ACHI mode. The Shuttle has the latest BIOS. I also did a fresh install of Win7 Pro 64bit and also installed the latest Intel sata drivers (~march 2010).

Whenever I attach these boxes to my machine via esata, windows shows them as 1.4TB disks even though they should have ~5.5TB with 4x2TB in raid5. I made sure that any 2TB limiters were not enabled. However, if I attach the units via firewire, I see them with correct 5.5TB size and can format them (GPT of course). When I reattach them via esata, they show up with the correct 5.5TB volume I made over firewire.

Here's where it gets screwy. I can write up to ~2.5TB to the volume fine over esata but when I go over that the whole array will stop responding and I'll be forced to power cycle the raid box. Both boxes don't report any kind of error or disk failure when this happens. When I remount the array, the partition is just gone. I can predictably do this over and over so its not just a one time thing.

Now I'm hesitant to get another box because I'm not sure if the problem is with my ICH9 or something else.

Any thoughts? I've kinda got my eye on the new 2nd gen Drobo S but its hella pricey.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hopefully some of you would find this amusing.

I started a project to keep me busy by upgrading some older Core2 machines for shits. One thing that stood out was external IO. This is a Dell Optiplex 960 SFF so it has eSATA natively but eSATA is rare and a chore. I looked into adding USB 3.0 but options are limited because the mainboard only has PCI 32bit expansion (133MB/s paper spec). I found some cheap Startech USB 3.0 PCI cards for $20 direct so I went and bought one and here are the results.

C2Q 9650
8GB DDR2
Intel Q45 chipset
Windows 8.1 64bit (bonus Windows 8.x has native USB attached SCSI -UAS- support)

Here's the IO chain:

Samsung EVO 840 500G (should max out PCI 32bit bus)
V
Seagate 2.5" bus powered SATA > USB 3.0 card (ASM1053 controller)
V
Startech USB 3.0 PCI card(Renesas D720200AF1 PCIe > Pericom P17C9x PCI 32bit bridge)

Sequential R/W speeds are ~100MB/s:73MB/s respectively. A bit shy of the 133MB/s paper spec for 32bit PCI. Still, not bad especially considering this is better than FW800 which would still require an additional card for most systems and USB 3.0 is more ubiquitous now anyway and is backwards compatible with USB 2.0.

edit: Also the PCI USB 3.0 card has a 4 pin molex connector for power but with it unplugged the card can still power 2.5" 7200rpm spinning drives so I don't think its necessary to have it plugged in at all since anything requiring more power will most likely have its own power supply anyway.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 12, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/disc/manuals/desktop/Barracuda%207200.10/100402369f.pdf

Seagate ST3750640A 750Gb 7200rpm 16Mb....Ultra IDE

This has to be the biggest PATA drive ever made right? I don't think they ever got to 1T before the interface was dead-dead.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

Pretty sure that's the biggest 3.5" drive, and 320GB is the biggest 2.5" drive. Probably easier to just get a SATA card instead of paying the premium for the biggest PATA drives.

Not sure if you used a SATA to PATA adapter, if the BIOS would even pick it up?

Eh just loving around. As with most of my endeavors its not about practicality and more about superlativeness.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm looking for a NAS that can run transmission or some other torrent app with a web interface (transmission is still king right?). Right now my local Fry's has the WD EX2 4TB for $250 on sale which I think supports transmission. They also have the ReadyNAS 104 diskless for $130.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

eightysixed posted:

No, rtorrent with an ruTorrent front-end is :eng101:

Recommend a NAS to run this on? Simple install and setup?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Hmm, thats kinda more than I want to deal with.

Is there anything I should worry about running something like transmission on a consumer dedicated NAS like the WD EX or a Netgear ReadyNAS?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Umm, so how are you supposed to deal with a NAS hardware failure? Not a drive failure but an actual hardware failure of the NAS? Can you pop the drives out and read them in some other device? What if it was in a raid?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have a WD Live Plus media player with a HDD inside it. Does anyone know if I can mount a share on this(or any other) media player so that my NAS can either directly download torrents to that mount or sync to that mount? Right now I'm just streaming files from my NAS to my media player but since these files are more or less disposable I'd rather have them live on the media player and free up the NAS for other stuff.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So what are some use scenarios for iSCSI? Is it literally to move a storage volume so its not physically local to a host? Less overhead than using file sharing with access restrictions if only 1 host will ever access that volume? Sorry if I'm getting it completely wrong here.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I got a cheap WD EX2 at Frys and its my first NAS. I like it in that it hasn't done anything I didn't want it to do and doing basic things has been pretty intuitive and the web UI seems to be decent.

I'm thinking about going up to a 4 bay NAS. The WD EX4100 seems tempting in that it would be very similar to my EX2 as far as interface. My only gripes are that it only has 2 USB3 expansion ports and the power supply is an external brick vs internal. Also I'm not sure if its CPU/mem are any good for its price class.

Just looking for any recs given I like the WD EX2.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Skandranon posted:

What are you planning on doing with it, beyond a 4 disk array? What is it you need more than 2 USB ports for?

Good question. I want 4 disk so I can have more storage without resorting to bigger disks in a 2 bay although now that I think about it I like the portability of the 2 bay. The USB expansion was to keep externals hooked up for backups and also any data I don't really care for like movies. I guess I can live with 2 USB ports. 1 for backup and 1 for movies.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Also, why is it so slow copying from the NAS to an external attached to the NAS? I'm SSH'd into my WD EX2 and rsync'ing from the NAS raid1 to an external USB3 single drive. rsync is reporting 15-20MB/s.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Don Lapre posted:

Is the external NTFS?

Yes....I guess thats bad?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Don Lapre posted:

Lunix ntfs writing is slow.

You can thank MS

So what should I be using? EXT and HFS aren't windows friendly. exFAT isn't supported.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well my home is about half PC and half Mac but HFS is only Mac and I don't really care for PC 3rd party HFS support. NTFS seems like a better choice given OS X can at least read it without additional software. Although I'm not sure I'd get any better speeds with HFS on the NAS though.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have noticed that the 'best' of a given type usually stick a round and commend a premium for those dicking around with old tech. Like 500G PATA drives.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

320GB SCSI drives are still retarded expensive.

Really? poo poo I need to sell some I was 'gifted' from my last defunct employer.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apFJBhqUv_E

Just smashed some old drives we had piling up

you monster. There's a goodwill in town that builds pcs. I would donate to them personally if I weren't so lazy about it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I think I found the problem why my NAS>USB3 speeds are so slow. It's not the file system. I'm getting ~17-20MB/s for NTFS and EXT4. However, the CPU goes right up to 100% during the transfer so the bottleneck is the CPU. NAS is a WD EX2.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone venture to guess which of these 2.5" HDDs is more reliable/better than the other?

Segate/Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2T (9.5mm 667G/platter 32M)

vs

WD Green WD20NPVX 2T (15mm 500G/platter 8M)

Both are found in common consumer 2.5" externals. The WD being thicker due to lower density.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are disk'd NASes warrantied for the disks inside? If a disk dies within the warranty period I guess its best for an end user (read: not business) to backup from a degraded array and send the whole thing back to get replaced?

Also, do any of you guys do surface scans/low level format scans on new NAS drives before putting them into service? Is it necessary? What do big enterprises do when building storage? Obviously there's a time cost in scanning 4/6/8TB drives.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SamDabbers posted:

As I said above, I run the badblocks utility for Linux (it's in the sysutils/e2fsprogs port for FreeBSD), and a SMART Long Test on all my new drives. The badblocks utility writes every sector on the drive a few times with different test patterns and reads each one back to verify. If either test fails, or SMART data shows uncorrectable errors/reallocated sectors after a full badblocks run, then I get an RMA. I test an entire batch of new drives in parallel, so it only takes a day or so to burn in a full array of multi-TB drives, and another couple if you need to do an RMA. For a NAS that you'll be trusting with your data for at least a couple years, an extra day or two to make sure you're starting off with solid hardware seems like a no-brainer.

Neato. I wonder if my NAS has those tools. Probably not. Does badblocks run on the raw disk?

edit: Ha, my NAS has badblocks tool. WD EX2 btw.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does this seem like a good deal for the business class WD DL2100 with 2x4TB Reds:

1.7Ghz dual core atom
single slot upgradeable memory 1G+4G max

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119874-REG/wd_wdbbaz0080jbk_nesn_8tb_2_x_4tb.html

$596.10 shipped no tax.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Interesting math.

Seagate/Samsung 2TB 2.5" 9.5mm drive is 30.14GB/cm3
Seagate/Samsung 8TB 3.5" 25.4mm drive is only 21.23GB/cm3

So the 2.5" drive is by volume 42% more dense than its 3.5" cousin. So in the same unit volume as the 3.5" drive the 2.5" can achieve ~11.3TB.

Of course density isn't everything but fun to know.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

gnrk posted:

I'm setting up a Western Digital EX2100 and am having a hard time SSHing into it remotely. I can get into it fine from a local device and am prompted for my credentials/can ping the box remotely, but it won't take either the password nor a SSH key. As an aside, if anyone else has this box, would you be able to recommend how to prevent everything in ~/ from being deleted when the box is restarted?

Get one for cheaps? Did you turn on SSH in the web panel? Did you set the password in the web panel? AFAIK, you can't prevent ~/ from being cleared so I don't keep anything there. Its lovely but I can live with it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I can't tell if hosed up my drive.

I ran a ATA secure erase on a Samsung 2.5" 2TB spinner from Parted Magic for shits and it was saying it would take ~360minutes and that I shouldn't try to stop it. I've never run a secure erase on a spinning drive before but I always thought that nothing can hurt them functionally. Well I was impatient and forcefully killed the secure erase. Now I can't seem to partition/format the drive. I haven't tried using the Samsung/Seatools yet but is force killing ATA secure erase on a spinning drive enough to brick it?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I guess there were some OEM(?) 1TB PATA drives? The largest I found before were 750GB segates which I own 2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1TB-IDE-40-PIN-PATA-UDMA-133-Western-Digital-WD-Caviar-Green-HDD-1000GB-NEW-/301578890078?hash=item463780ab5e

I can't seem to find any documentation about this drive on google though. Looks like a retro fit SATA drive but still, no record of it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whos the OEM for these 'generic' drives?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6SP2VW8155

Are they any good/reliable?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Krailor posted:

There probably isn't a single OEM for these. There's only like 3 actual HD manufacturers so it's probably whoever had the available extra stock at the time and could easily change next week/month.

It's only saving you about $25 vs. getting a 6tb WD Red from a real manufacturer.

Actually these are much cheaper on eBay (new). I just figured the newegg link was easier to read. Not for a nas. Scratch disks really.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Krailor posted:

I wouldn't put any mission critical data on them but if they're just for scratch disks might as well.

Edit: If you're just looking for some cheap drives it's hard to beat the 5tb Toshibas for $140.

A seller on eBay just accepted my offer of $200(each) for some new 8tb seagate archive drives. Hope that was a good price.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Krailor posted:

Those 8tb Seagates are great for bulk storage, especially at $200.

The seller was actually accepting $175 for them if you buy 4+ YMMV

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271973046337

I ended up getting 5 but not before I found out how low this guy was willing to go. They must of fallen off a truck or something.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Moey posted:

What are you folks doing with these 8tb drives? The rebuild time on any array has to be insane.

4k footage for work. At UHD res and 16bit depth and 24fps you're looking at 5-6TB of compressed tiffs for a 90minute feature mono only. Double it for stereo. The seagates are just for small 4-5 bay DAS devices to shuttle material between vendors and what not. The actual backend storage is much more robust that I don't manage.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Found these real cheap:

Seagate 4TB 2.5" single drive 15mm high $159 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161821659087

Some random seller on ebay but the package I got in the mail was from Best Buy, free shipping no tax. Best buy front?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Josh Lyman posted:

This is 2x2TB 2.5" drives in RAID. Why would you buy that?

It's not.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9489/seagate-backup-plus-portable-4tb-usb-30-drive-review

Similar outer casing but check the name. The 2x is the 'fast'. This is the 'plus'

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Seagate 8TB drives arrived. Let's see how well they work. Light workload. Basically write big data once, read big data maybe 3 times.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a NAS+firmware that gives proper access to smb.conf or something similar so that my Macs don't poo poo up the place with their dot files? Seems like my current WD NAS doesn't have proper support for it (resets on reboot).

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ILikeVoltron posted:

I do this on my macs:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2005070300463515

$ defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

May not be a solution for you if you've got lots of users, but for me this was an easy solution.

And what works for you? Is it sticky? After OS updates? I just feel like a NAS side solution is much more robust.