Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I bought a Drobo 1.0 a long long time before this thread existed because it was shiny and you could put drives of different sizes in it. I can only concur with the haters in this thread and say that it is slooooow, like glacial slow; I even bought the DroboShare which manages to make the evolution of the universe seem quick.

I read the whole thread over the last few days and the D-Link DNS-323 seems to have popped up quite a lot and fits in with what I am prepared to spend. Looking on the UK Amazon page (UK Goon), it suggests to me there is a newer model, the DNS-320, which I haven't seen come up in this thread. Both are in stock and the newer model is a few pounds more expensive which doesn't bother me.

Go for the newer model or stick with the tried and true?

(I'm not bothered about going from four drives in the Drobo (3 x 1TB, 1 x 2GB, 2.71TB useable) to two in the D-Link, I have never even got close to half filling my Drobo before I get bored and delete stuff)

[EDIT] Online reviews and the price has convinced me to get the newer DNS-320. What the hell, it can't be any slower than my Drobo :)

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Nubile Cactus posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by slow, but keep in mind the dns-323 is also pretty goddamn slow. Tops out at about 10MBps on gigE, maybe 15 if you're lucky.

My music resides on my Drobo, if I add music to my iTunes Library while also listening to something in iTunes I get constant beach balls and the music stops. If I unrar something while watching a movie, the movie stutters and/or stops.

This is directly attached, the DroboShare is worse.

All I want to do is listen to flac files or at most 720p movies without stutters/pauses/beach balls

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I hope this is the appropriate thread to post in.

I have a N40L and am trying to make a bootable USB key to load the OS from - I'm planning on trying out unRAID. The USB key is a SanDisk Cruzer.

I'm on a Mac (10.8.2) so I'm trying to follow the guide they give in their documentation here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation#MacOS_X

When I get to the part about installing the bootable MBR on the drive i just get the following error from terminal

code:
dd: /dev/rdisk1: Invalid argument
Help!

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 4, 2012

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

tonberrytoby posted:

did you remember to write if and 'of=/dev/rdisk' instead of only '/dev/rdisk' ?

Or the other way around if you are using some unusual version of dd.

The whole command I tried, as advised in the unRAID docs:

code:
dd conv=notrunc bs=440 count=1 if=mbr.bin of=/dev/rdisk1

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any recommendations on a mini-ITX case that has 6+ internal 3.5s? Looks like there's only 3 hits on newegg.

I'm running UnRaid on an older Supermicro Atom mini-ITX board and currently just have my extra drives laid out on the floor since my current case only has 4 drive slots. I'm moving and am looking on mounting everything proper.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/case/#t=9,12,10&J=6,20

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

4K content? Blu-ray content?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I use Mullvad as my VPN provider and this thread reminded me about Wireguard again.

Everything is working very well.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

DrDork posted:

In the GUI for 11.x it's under System -> System Dataset. Gives you a dropdown for where you want it to live, or if you uncheck the tick box it dumps them into /var/ "on the operating system device", wherever it decides that is.

Less. You can get SSD's for <$25 now. I mean, they suck, but they're probably still faster than a USB drive and more reliable. The only place I could see still using a USB would be if you simply don't have the SATA ports to spare, in which case at least do a RAID 0 using two of them so when one inevitably fails you're not caught unprepared.

How would RAID 0 prepare you for one of them failing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I appreciate your comments, it's interesting to hear about *BSD, and the dedicated thread died on its arse and disappeared.