Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

For some reason I glossed over this thread before buying a NAS but oh well.

In any case please let me know if I hosed up way too bad. About a month ago my external started acting really funny. Since I've got a lot of irreplaceable thing on there I ended up sort of panic-buying the Synology 414j with 4 1 TB drives. Formatted using the Synology method for maintaining integrity even with two discs failing. Ended up costing around $800 or $850. Didn't know about Crashplan at the time but I've started uploading to them as well. I'm not running Crashplan on the NAS itself. I mapped the drives and am backing up via the Crashplan client on my main computer.

Good? Bad? It seems to do the job well. Certainly doesn't seem slow, though I'm not really sure what constitutes slow in this case. Also bought a new router in hopes that I'll be able to run multiple iTunes instances and source everything from the NAS. Doesn't work too bad right now, especially when my roommate's gone. But the Black Friday deal on the ASUS N56U was too good to pass up and the reviews are pretty tops.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

looking for some advice on my current nas setup.

currently i have a 4-bay synology configured for shr-2. i have a 3tb, 2tb, and 2 1tb drives in there, giving me 2tb of available space, 2tb of protected space, and 3tb of unused space.

i would like to change this, i think. i'm starting to get to a point where this isn't enough. furthermore, i feel shr-2 may have been overkill for a home system. am i generally correct in that?

so i'd like to improve on both of those things--i want more space, and i want to change the configuration.

i know i can't convert an shr-2 to shr-1 directly. i think what i would have to do is buy higher-capacity drives to the point of getting enough unused space so that i could create a different shr-1 storage pool, move the contents of the original shr-2 pool to the new storage pool, delete the old storage pool, and then consolidate the new unused space into the new pool. is that the best way to attack this?

theoretically, that makes sense. but i'm trying to do something similar now with the 3tb of unused space i have now and the option is greyed out. i'm guessing because it isn't possible with the drives i have.

i don't know, it's all getting confusing to me at this point. i'm looking to optimize what i have for as little as possible. i wouldn't mind just replacing all the drives with 4 4tb drives or 6tb drives if the price makes sense. 4 4tb drives would give me 8tb in shr-2 and 12tb in shr-1. that latter option is very attractive, but i just don't know if i can switch to that given the current setup.

thoughts? am i missing something obvious?

also, what drives are you all buying? i have wd reds. someone in another thread said those are a bit off these days and i want to avoid low part numbers. but i'd be buying on amazon or newegg or something like that and i don't know how i could possibly check on that.

don't know, just generally throwing my situation out there in hopes of bettering it. thanks for listening.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Actuarial Fables posted:

If you want to convert to shr-1, you'll have to copy your data off the NAS, delete the shr-2 array, create an shr-1 array, then move your data back onto it. Since you're looking to pick up higher-capacity disks that are individually bigger than your current data partition this should be feasible - copy your data to a new disk, create a shr-1 array with the three other disks, copy the data over to the new array, add the 4th/data disk to the unit and expand the array.

The WD Red 2tb, 3tb, 4tb, and 6tb drive models that end with "EFAX" are not good and should be avoided. They are even listed as incompatible on Synology's compatibility list. Other WD Red drives and the new WD Red Pro drives are still good to use, and other NAS drives from other manufacturers are fine as well, like Seagate's Ironwolf line.

A popular trend if you're looking for even higher capacity drives (8tb+) is to buy external drives and shuck them. The WD EasyStores use NAS/Enterprise drives and they're often a lot cheaper than buying the drive itself.

thank you, thank you, thank you. will proceed per your suggestion.

e: one follow up, does rpm really matter with a nas?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 17, 2020

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ok, so an update to my nas adventure.

i ended up upgrading everything--new nas and new drives. the old drive could only read 4gb of each drive, and i was pretty determined to get more. so, now i have a ds920 and 4 6gb drives.

so that's all fine and well. but now, i want to swap them out as simply as possible. i want the new nas to take on the same name and location and ip and folder structure and all that so that my links across my network don't break. obviously the data would need to come over as well.

how best do i do this? my best guess as of now is to setup the new nas via usb on my laptop while i keep my old nas connected to the network. i could name it the same and set the static ip. i could then create the basic folder structure with the right permissions, then copy and paste everything over. then i'd disconnect the existing nas and simply swap them out.

is that the easiest way?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

my mom's external drive died. we did the usual checks, like trying it on another machine, to no avail, and trying a different enclosure, also to no avail. she now wants to send it off to a hard drive recovery company. any recommendations? i do not know a single thing about doing this.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Buff Hardback posted:

Are the contents of the drive worth multiple thousands of dollars?

That’s how much you’d likely be paying

yea, i told her the process could easily cost a few thousand. she's still willing to talk to some companies.

Klyith posted:

Possibly as low as hundreds rather than thousands, but yeah. Data recovery is expensive.

And anyone who promises you a price up front should be avoided -- the reputable companies only give you the price once they have the drive in their hands and can see how bad it is. They charge by the hour, and if they have to do something like surgically extract the platters to read them that's skilled clean-room work. OTOH most of them do free evaluations so that's fine.

Ontrack and DriveSavers are both good and have low-ish starting minimums, so if you just have a controller failure that can be easily fixed by swapping out the controller board, you might get away for relatively cheap.

we'll give drivesavers a call, thanks.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i've got a synology 920+ and i've now moved to tucson, where there are a decent number of power outages. how imperative is it for me to get an upc? does the synology itself have decent protection for such things? sorry if this is stupid, but i'm rather clueless. i would imagine the synology itself doesn't have any such surge protection/blackout protection capabilities and would fall victim like any other computer, server, etc., but just wanted to make sure.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

danke schoen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i've only ever heard engine x and that's how it looks in my head as well.