Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
poo poo, I popped into this thread to ask if it would be worth it to put the 2x2tb HDDs in my old, slow, and loud DNS-321 with a diskless Synology DS218j that is on sale for $135 at Amazon but lol just gonna do this instead. thanks, goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I'm a few days away from ordering a Synology and I need something that'll stream x.265 files via Plex. Is the DS218j gonna be able to handle this workload of this, or do I need the DS218+? I'm seeing conflicting/confusing information.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Moey posted:

Transcode or direct play?
i'm pretty fresh to this stuff, but I assume I should prefer direct play to reduce buffering and CPU usage, especially on something CPU-limited like a NAS. Based on what I've read, Plex does direct play on x.264 for 1080p and under and x.265 for 4k. I'm hoping to play 1080p and 720p stuff in x.265. Would I always have to transcode for that? If so, would the extra power of the DS218+ help? I'll be playing the videos on a Samsung MU6300-series TV, if it matters.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
yikes, I was hoping not to buy Yet Another Thing, since running Plex through the app on my TV makes things less complicated for the girlfriend/guests. I'll test it out streaming a x.265 from my desktop to the TV via Plex and hope that works.

If I already have a 8tb external HDD, could I hook that up to the Shield (plus a USB drive for cache) and forgo the separate NAS?

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 26, 2019

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, you'll be able to tell from the desktop whether or not your TV is direct playing things. But you're going to run into issues where the TV can't play certain formats and encodes, especially over time. Yes, you can hook the external HDD up.

The only thing I'd say makes it more complicated is if you switch back and forth from cable, having to change the input. If you just use apps on the Shield TV, then just leave it on that input. Otherwise, yeah, a universal remote is in your future.
i'm a longtime harmony guy, and first with the 550 remote back in ~2009 and now a harmony hub, but not having multiple application platforms (smart TV, shield, and future PS4) would keep things simple. currently, having one input (smart TV) is awesome, as the harmony occasionally would have problems changing inputs from PC to playstation to roku to PC that i'd have to fix. having a smart TV handle all the apps has decreased frustration big time.

i successfully streamed a 10bit x265 DD5.1 1080p video file from the plex server on my desktop to my TV without any buffering or other noticable issues. I have no clue if it was transcoding or direct playing because I honestly don't know how to tell the difference, but if the rest of my videos are in a similar or lower bitrate video format, I should be good for just a NAS, right?

I'll get the 218j now that you guys have told me the TV is the thing I have to worry about as far as transcoding/direct play goes, not the NAS itself. I just want a NAS so I don't have to run my desktop to access my media via Plex, so the 218j should do nicely. currently, I'm converting all my existing media to x265 to save HDD space. i should be done by March.

thanks for the help, guys.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 26, 2019

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
well, it has Been Decided that the white case of the DS218j is Too White for the rest of my all-black A/V rack.

is there any reason to get the DS218play over the DS218+? apparently the play has an ARM plus a hardware encoder that allows it to transcode 4k @60fps while the Plus is x86 but can only transcode 4k @30fps. with only $20 between the two, the plus seems like the more powerful unit, as how often am i gonna need to transcode 4k@60fps?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

sharkytm posted:

Vinyl wrap it!
haha I actually considered that, but found out the 218j is pretty hampered by what it can run in plex. I don't want to convert my entire media library to a plex-friendly directplay format. the DS218+ came in a few hours ago, and I'm amazed at how much of my desktop this will be able to replace. it's basically a super-tiny HTPC, and anything it doesn't do easily, my smart TV will. NAS tech has come a long drat way since my DNS-321. plus, it's WAY quieter than my old DNS-321.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Red_Fred posted:

A week or two back I asked about repurposing my old computer as a nas. However now that I’ve come up with other things to run on a mini server I’m wondering if just getting a synology is the way to go.

Could I run unifi controller and home assistant on Synology? If so what model? Would this end up being less janitoring than doing it myself?

i'm just playing with my brand new DS218+ right now, and there is a TON of stuff you can run on this thing, either through the Docker app or direct through the Synology Package Center using community repos. There are unifi and home assistant apps on each. These things are sneaky useful, and the community is very helpful at wringing all the usefulness you can get out of the hardware. This is probably a dumb comparison (but i'm dumb) but it reminds me a lot of the old iphone Jailbreak days.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
update: since opening this thread in November or so, I've gone from "hey, what's the best way to hook up this really old 2tb RAID 1 NAS to my old router?" to a new 8TB external HDD, to finding out my old router doesn't support external drives over 4tb, to a new router, to a new DS218j, to returning that DS218j, to a new DS218+. Today, I just unshucked yet another WD 8tb external drive, for a grand total of a new router, two new 8tb drives, and a fancy-rear end x64-based NAS that I spent all of last night relearning unix CLI and configuring for Plex, remote torrent daemon, usenet, automated downloads, and all other manner of bullshit on custom package repositories.

thanks for loving nothing, thread.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Internet Explorer posted:

congratulations you loving NERD
i'm hot-swapping myself into a locker

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
can confirm shucking WD Elements and EasyStore drives is the best deal going. got two WD80EMAZ (or w/e) white label "Red" drives for like ~$150. why the hell is WD selling the whole external setups for significantly less than the cost of just the bare retail drives? it's such a dumb giveaway for WD.

also I've used SyncToy plus Task Scheduler for the past few years, but i'm a low information scrub. I was gonna try CloudStation, but all the security hubbub spooked me. don't want anyone ransomwareing my high-def japanese animes!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
i’m eventually gonna need more space on my DS218+. are 16tb drives gonna keep being the largest size available for awhile, or are larger drives soon to come down to drive the price of the 16tb drives down?

alternatively, would i be better off buying the 5 bay DX517 expansion and filling it full of smaller drives i have on hand, or just selling the DS218+ and getting a larger unit?

a DS418 is $360, while a DX517 is $450. would i be able to use the DX517 with future, faster version of the DS line?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

CopperHound posted:

Sort of... You can use it with ds218+, but it has to be a separate volume: https://www.synology.com/en-us/know...Expansion_Units
which i’m okay with, but would the dummy expansion bay work with future releases? like if i wanna upgrade to a DS222+ in a few years, will the DX517 work, or is there not cross-compatibility between generations?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
with the 2020 Synology models out now, what's the best 4-drive NAS for file backup and Plex usage? are the two extra cores on the DS920+ over the DS420+ gonna make a huge difference on HEVC playback or subtitle transcoding?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
is there a way to stop my x570-based system from disconnecting from my DS920+ when the computer goes into sleep mode?

waking the thing up to a dozen "we lost connection to the network drive!" notifications gets old

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
finally had time to play around with my new 920+ and plex. the dual-core Celeron J3355 in the old DS218+ had problems adding subtitles to x265, but the quad-core Celeron J4125 in the 920+ doesn't seem to have any speed or buffering problems. both CPUs have the same base clock of 2.0ghz, so I assume plex is taking advantage of the extra cores, which is a pleasant surprise, especially if you're a life-long member of The Lost Otaku on Team Subs (gently caress dubs)

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

BabyFur Denny posted:

I guess the new NAS uses hardware transcoding.
Plex is just stupid and requires transcoding to add subtitles. I just use a different media server that doesn't have this problem (emby)
i think the old one did too? the extra cores make a huge difference apparently

the new one needs some weird change to run x265 correctly, but i forgot what i did exactly