Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

But then your NIC is on a single 2.0 lane?

A single 2.0 lane has 4x the throughput of gigabit ethernet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Le0 posted:

So I ordered a Qnap TS-419 because I'm a lazy oval office.
Now, I checked about those Western Digital RED drives and they seem nice but no shop has them in stock at all. Are there any other reliable drives that I could look into? I don't really feel like waiting a month for some drives if the benefit won't be noticeable.

The reds do seem to be having supply issues. You could look at the Samsung 2TB's (around $120) or perhaps the Hitachi 3TB's (around $160). There's also the western digital AV-GP's I think around $140 for 2TB. Hard to say how they stack up against the Reds.

Toshiba bought Hitachi's 3.5" business from WD, so around Q4 this year we should see availability on Toshiba 3.5's, though they will probably just be re-badged Hitachi designs for the time being.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
So I have three machines:
1) Old Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server running mdadm raid 5
2) Windows 7 desktop
3) FreeNAS 8.2 machine

Trying to transfer the contents of my old linux raid system to the freenas, I get some bizzare speeds:

Ubuntu Server -> Win 7 Desktop ~55MB/s
Win 7 Desktop -> FreeNAS ~50MB/s
Ubuntu Server -> FreeNAS ~19MB/s (Ubuntu machine mounting FreeNAS share and pushing)

Possibly an old version of smbclient (or whatever the filesystem driver is behind there) on ubuntu? I'm trying to figure out if/how I can connect to the ubuntu machine from the FreeNAS machine and see if I can pull it faster than ubuntu can push. Any ideas?

EDIT: I tried to mount the ubuntu machine's samba share from freeNAS using the whole mount_smbfs //user@server/share /mnt/mount_point and it prompted for the windows password, then killed the entire network stack (every service stopped responding, system no longer responded to ping), but I was able to shut it down from the console directly.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 30, 2012

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Has anyone ever gotten NFS working on FreeNAS? The documentation ( http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Unix_%28NFS%29_Shares ) is basically useless and conflicts with everything else I've seen online as far as how to set it up, and none of it works properly.

I can create a nfs mount, set it to map all users to a particular local user/group that has permissions to the directory, but on a client machine, when I mount it, the mount point's directory permissions change to (root:randombullshit) where randombullshit is the local group name that happens to have the same gid as the mapped group on the FreeNAS.

In which case, any attempt to cd into that directory fails with permission denied. Even after sudo -s to switch to root, you still can't cd to or ls the directory.

I am so close to just saying screw it with RAID-Z and going back to a ubuntu mdadm raid5 machine.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 2, 2012

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Does anyone have a decent notification system setup? Ideally something that would have android, linux, and windows clients and would have simple command line sendmail-replacement style utilities so I could set it up to send notifications from pfsense, FreeNAS, and network ups tools. All these servers/daemons expect you to have a smtp server to send emails to.

Even something that I could run a server locally and open a port and all the phone/pc clients would connect to the server would be nice. The only cloud one I've seen that seems really simple is pushover, but there must be more (and it's not free, not that I would expect anything using somebody else's servers to be free).

The reality is, I don't log into the thing often enough that I'd ever see an actual disk failure probably. So after upgrading to 11.1 I figured I'd finally better set this up properly.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 31, 2017

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Man I'm feeling bad about FreeNAS today. I had one my Samsung Spinpoint F4's get removed from a volume a week ago, and turned off the box and ordered a new seagate drive to replace it.

Today I booted it back up and it immediately put it back into the volume, resilvered, and ~30-40 minutes later reported everything OK. Smart data shows very elevated:

Program_Fail_Cnt_Total (about 22,000 raw value)
G-Sense_Error_Rate (about 48,000 raw value)

One other drive shows a slightly elevated fail count and g-sense error rate, the other drives are basically 0. There are no actual smart errors or reallocated sectors anywhere.

FreeNAS of course keeps no logs persistently (why ever would you do that?) so I've really no idea what happened. Probably going to add my new replacement drive as a hot spare if it lets me do that.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 24, 2018

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

BobHoward posted:

Program_Fail_Cnt_Total is typically an attribute only found on SSDs. Are you sure that's really from a HDD (or that your SMART reporting tool doesn't have its wires crossed)?

(if it is a SSD, that's a dying SSD)

It's definitely a Samsung spinpoint. It's certainly possible smartctl on FreeNAS is reporting it wrong, though? Not sure who decides what to name what. (If those strings are in the drive itself or only in the tool.) I'll double check the hex code for that line today. Searching around more I found a old Hard OCP forum thread about my exact drive HD204UI where people are seeing all kinds of random huge values for (B5) Program Fail Cnt. It is suspicious though that this one drive is the one that was dropped from the volume, and it has those two values significantly elevated, but no actual error values anywhere.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 24, 2018

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I picked up an extra WD Elements 8 to shuck for a cold spare, and it's really acting weird with the smart long test. It starts, I let it sit for the 12 hours, and then when I run smartctl --all to check it, smartctl hangs and times out the first time, and then when I run it again it says the test was aborted by operator at 90%. And has done that twice now.

I'm going ahead and running badblocks on it while I ponder what to do. There's no SMART errors yet, just seems to get stuck during the test. I don't remember having an issue on my original set of 6, though I did shuck those before doing the tests, and this time I'm trying to do it on the USB controller.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Less Fat Luke posted:

I have found the Elements USB controllers have issues consistently passing SMART commands. In my case as long the the short SMART test passes and shows the right amount of hours and a destructive badblocks works then it's been good enough for me.

Yeah I know USB is hit and miss for smart. I think if it passes badblocks OK I'll go ahead and carefully shuck it and try the long SMART test on SATA. These are easy to take apart without breaking the case, one of my original six died during badblocks and I just re-packed it carefully in the same enclosure and RMA'd it no problem.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I have a NAS-adjacent question. If I'm setting up a couple drives for doing rotating backups with rsync, any guesses on which file system is the most 'robust' for a single drive? It's true obviously you never want to be dependent on a single drive but generally I want something that's recoverable if something goes wrong in the worst-case scenario.

Mainly things like:
1) If one bad sector happens limits the damage.
2) If power is lost or USB disconnects randomly generally repairs or can be recovered well with free/open source tools.
3) Generally non-awful in terms of files/folders becoming unreadable/undeletable. I've seen some weird poo poo (folders replaced with empty files) in the past with supposedly robust journaling filesystems.

My assumption was just go with something older and simpler like ext2.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm not sure. After some googling there definitely seem to be some 'ZFS won't mount or work after a surprise power outage'. Obviously my NAS is running RAIDZ2 and has a high end UPS. But I'm not 100% convinced it's as robust to sudden power off/ disconnect as it claims.

Sort of a theory vs practice thing here. Like I said I've seen supposedly fancy totally power-loss-tolerant journaling filesystems completely freak the gently caress out after a power loss. Mainly in the embedded world like jffs2/ubifs/yaffs, there's lots of promises made about these filesystems but in practice I think I've seen them all get trashed in one way or another by sudden resets.

https://www.klennet.com/notes/2021-04-26-zfs-and-power-failures.aspx

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 28, 2021

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
This is for a house-already-burned-down scenario. (It's likely I'd only have one off-site copy if I wasn't at home to grab the newest one on the way out the door.) I'd rather have my backup work but maybe possibly have a bad file or two than 'oops all mount errors' that seems to happen surprisingly often the fancier a filesystem gets. Call me an old boomer curmudgeon or whatever, but my gut instinct when its 'this is the last drive in existence that has the files' I feel like I want something simple and where recovery/scraping tools are common if the main inode tables or whatever have gotten screwed up by a unclean shutdown last time I swapped the backup drive.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 28, 2021

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I've shucked eight of the 8TB WD externals and I think 6/8 were the helium-filled, and there were 4 different models. One failed in badblocks testing, and one is a cold replacement. No failures in operation after 3 years or so. I'm OK with them not being identical in the long run because that seems less likely to have weird cluster failures. I clipped the 3.3v lines on the SATA power supply cables for my PSU otherwise they wouldn't spin up. They all supported the timeout setting thing you need for RAID that escapes me at the moment.

The non-helium one definitely runs a few degrees warmer than the others but not egregiously so.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 1, 2021

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I guess eventually the pressure of the helium inside will drop to the partial pressure of the helium outside (which is really low) and the inside will be basically a vacuum. If you pass a point there's not enough gas to keep the heads far enough off the surface well then that's all she wrote.

On the one hand I have some old drives that I can plug in and will work more than 20 years later which is cool... on the other those are just things I have sitting around not like I'm counting on the data being there. If anything I need to get better about destroying drives before they get too old to be reliable, something to keep in mind with these helium ones I guess.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I'm still running... I guess it's called XigmaNAS which was NAS4Free? I run nothing except samba and the ups client on it so it doesn't matter. But notification is a mess since it's tied only to email. I'd much rather setup a push notification system like pushover.

I'd also like to go to something linux-based just because I'm so much more familiar with it than BSD. Many years ago I did my own linux setup using mdadm raid and the setup wasn't too bad, but I switched for ZFS.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh wow, these Ironwolf 10TB are pretty quiet on idle. Seeking not so much.

--edit: Until I closed up the case, the aluminium side panel started to resonate :suicide:

You can get huge rolls of automotive sound deadening stick-on butyl rubber stuff for like $30-50.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

CopperHound posted:

I bet if you ask, people here will be willing to send you easy store chassis for free/cheap. I have a few empties.

E: Sorry, didn't read the USB c request

USB C to USB 3.1 micro b superspeed cables (which would go into the easystore chassis) are totally a thing, I have one for the one easystore I keep in the chassis.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Apparently LTT had some problems with their multiple 1.2PB arrays for storing all their footage:

1) No scheduled periodic scrub setup.
2) Obviously no email/push notification about failed drives.
3) Did not have clean shutdown on power failure setup. Not entirely clear if they had a UPS at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npu7jkJk5nM

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Arivia posted:

this got me realizing i really, really need to set up backups myself at home.

so i'm looking at buying a 4TB (or the 5TB) western digital elements external HD for backups (solely backups, of 1 or 2 SSDs and 1 hard disk, totaling 4.5TB but with plenty of unused space) https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0713WPGLL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&th=1

I have a couple of the Seagate 5TB 2.5" drives I burned in with badblocks and was going to shuck and put into an icy dock and rotate, but now I'm thinking there's not much advantage to doing that over just using them on USB 3.0, since smart works fine and everything.

Right now I'm trying to decide between trying to get things setup with the XigmaNAS setup I have which is pretty janky, switch to a new NAS distro, or do my own setup on linux. Ages ago I did setup a nas with mdadm & samba and everything myself on linux, but I'd want to find some kind of easy guide especially to setting up and automating ZFS stuff on linux if I was going to go that route again.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

To be fair they did replace their UPS, so they did have one, they just didn't configure it properly.

If they have a big network UPS, at least last I tried it FreeNAS would mis-configure NUT so that it would tell the NUT server it was ready for power down before even attempting shutdown. Oops!

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

CerealKilla420 posted:

So you're using an external enclosure connected to the NAS via USB?

I have 3 2tb 3.5in drives laying around - I might just put them to use to backup my essential data.

I've done some manual backups, if I keep them in the USB I'll need to add a proper PCIe USB 3.0 controller and external hub that I can reach since my motherboard doesn't have one, and the case doesn't have USB 3.0 on the front. That's kind of why I was thinking using the icy dock would be a lot cleaner, don't have to worry about cables and bullshit and adding a tray in the rack to set the drives on while they're hooked up. But I haven't tested hot swapping SATA in FreeBSD (XigmaNAS) yet in the icy dock.

I have a lot of poo poo on my NAS that realistically doesn't need to be backed up, that could be re-acquired. So I was thinking a script that does a find for folders containing a .backup hidden file, and generate a list of folders for rsync to use. Nothing more complicated than that is needed probably. Ideally it would automatically mount/unmount to refresh the backup weekly while the drive was attached, and when it's removed and swapped, automatically kick off a new backup immediately. Something like that. Not sure if there's anything like that already or if I need to do it myself, and how hard it would be to do that inside XigmaNas or TrueNAS or if I'm going to go back to a plain ubuntu LTS & openZFS setup next.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
If anybody has rolled your own NAS setup (did your own samba, openzfs, etc...) instead of using a xyzNAS distro, any links to particular configuration guides you found useful? There's so much ancient info online sometimes it can be hard to tell if you're doing things the right way anymore.

I think I can work out the basic setup, muddle my way through samba & UPS fine again, but things like getting an email if the weekly scrub fails, or monitoring smart... that kind of stuff is annoying since the NAS distros at least do it but they never quite do it quite right.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

I just found https://github.com/davestephens/ansible-nas the other night and will be giving it a try this time around

Thanks, there's some interesting stuff in here. Though I know literally nothing about ansible.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

One thing to note about this is that if you do RMA it and the enclosure doesn't match the disk, WD won't accept the RMA.
So either you keep the enclosure with a label indicating which disk serial number it belongs to, or you throw out the enclosure completely.

I shucked a bunch of 8TB WD EasyStores, and marked which drive went with which enclosure. One failed almost immediately on badblocks and I felt no guilt at all re-assembling it and returning.

I guess technically I could have run badblocks on the USB 3.0 it would have just been a bit of a hassle to hook up all of them at once. Also I was within Amazon's return/swap window so I doubt it ever even made it back to WD anyway. I feel like once I load it up with data I'm probably not going to return it in the warranty period anyway so I hammer them during the return window and then just accept the loss after that.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Motronic posted:

Okay, I guess I'll have to throw something together to do it right unless I can do this while they are actually in the NAS, which seems like a bad idea.

Last time I had to break stuff in I just used a ubuntu live usb to run smartctl & badblocks.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
My first NAS was some old ubuntu server w/ mdadm raid5 and manually configured samba. Then a few iterations of NAS-whatever, Nas-4-Free, Super-Duper-NAS-Xigma, and whatever the gently caress. They all suck in various ways, so I'm planning on reloading with just a stripped down debian hopefully without rebuilding my RAIDZ2. The only lovely part of doing it manually is samba really. And scheduling automatic checks on the ZFS.

But my main goals are:
* PROPERLY configured network ups tools. Almost every NAS distro I found does dumb poo poo with the ups configuration, sometimes catastrophically bad.
* RAID on the boot device. It looks like doing RAID1 on a pair of SSD's and still having it bootable isn't too terribly difficult.
* Do push notifications instead of email.
* Force the higher security settings and transport encryption for samba.

Unless there's an out of the box NAS distro that actually gets this stuff right? But I kind of doubt it.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Any suggestions for a backup util that's just slightly more advanced than rsync and easy to setup? (For linux)

I have my NAS and a lot of what's on it I could rebuild/recover/re-rip/whatever, but obviously some would be hard or impossible to replace. I have a couple USB 3.0 drives I want to start swapping periodically. Hopefully eventually I can add a third off-site one.

My ideal plan/setup would be:

* Flag folders on the NAS I want to backup with a file named .backup or something that I could locate with a find command, and I can parse/translate that into whatever format necessary.
* I can set up some automation so when a USB drive is first attached, it kicks off a quick SMART check and then backup process, and at the end dismounts the drive and sends me a push notification. I can setup all this scripting myself easily enough.
* Backup mainly just needs to sync up the drive to whatever in the marked/listed folders is changed.

I could in theory just use rsync even, but I would like some basic compression, and ideally some parity generation similar to par2's or whatever, to help protect against a couple random bad sectors on the backup drive, obviously. Also ideally it would fully read/re-verify/exercise the backup each time it's attached to make sure nothing is getting stale.

I'm curious if anybody in a similar situation (rotating USB drives for backup, NAS too large for backup media so you want to filter it down) has found a solution that works for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Boy supermicro really took a poo poo with the last few BIOS updates for the X10 series it feels like. I updated so I could use a Broadwell cpu, and it takes about 4 times longer to POST, and often doesn't even attempt to boot, sometimes you can't even get into the BIOS, etc... I had to roll back slightly to even get into the BIOS reliably.

The system is also horribly unstable if it's set to power up automatically when power is applied. I guess some power sequencing between the IPMI and bios or something. Setting it to always start power off helped a lot with reliability, but it's still vastly slower than it used to be.