Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
I need some advice on how to best fix my current storage situation. Right now I've got a WHS, and I absolutely love all of the features, but I no longer trust it. I know back before PP1 they had data corruption issues, so I waited until they did a redesign to adopt and everything has gone swimmingly since then - until last week. Last week, I got a notification that about 15 files had become corrupt. I talked to the WHS guys and it seems that my data is lost. They think it might be due to a hard drive that's about to fail, but I've got redundancy enabled on the folder, and guess what - my files are still gone! I'm not sure what the point of redundancy is if when a single hard drive goes bad, you still lose files. :argh: Because of this, I want to move away from WHS as the method of protecting my data.

I've got two client PCs at home - my regular desktop and a HTPC running Windows Media Center (both Vista, upgrading to 7 soon). The WHS is my old desktop, so the specs on it are rather lackluster - it's got an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mobo and a Barton 2800+. I've got 4 drives, 2x200GB IDE and 2x750GB SATA II (the board only has 2 SATA I connections).

I use my WHS for a variety of functions, beyond just the out-of-box stuff. The server also: streams music to computers outside the network with Firefly Media Server, houses an FTP server, runs uTorrent, gets all of my recorded TV shows (from my HTPC) dumped onto it automatically, renames said episodes and converts the files to H.264, manages anti-virus on my two client PCs (Avast!), and a couple of other minor things.

As I see it, I have a couple mix-and-match options if I want to move away from WHS as my backup solution. For the file storage itself, I think I'll either buy a Drobo or move to a RAID-5 configuration. For the computer / OS, I'd either build a brand new server and sell my current one, add a RAID controller card to my current box that can actually support more than 2 SATA drives, or get rid of the server altogether and move all of it's functionality to my desktop. For the OS itself, keeping WHS is tempting for it's other features (nightly backups of attached PCs, auto-zip when downloading files remotely) and just turn off duplication. This however, isn't supported, and the maximum size of an MBR drive is 2TB, so apparently I'd have to change the drive to GPT - I've never used GPT, so this makes me a bit nervous that there could be other issues. My other option would be to just put Win 2k8 on it. I don't want to move to Linux simply because of all of the Windows apps that I use to do the extra things I mentioned above.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which route I should go? I'm leaning towards building a new server with RAID 5 and Win 2k8, but I wonder if that's really best. I also have no idea how easy it is to add drives to RAID 5 (either for more storage or for an extra redundancy) which I'm sure I'll want to do over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

For those who read my earlier story of woe, I've decided to build a new server using RAID5. My only question now is what parts to get. I looked at a few of the system earlier people have built, and I noticed that no one here is using an Intel Atom board (or at least not of the recent builds). I thought that a lot of people were moving towards Atom because they still had great speed while vastly reducing the amount of power consumed - very important for always-on servers. Is there something I'm missing here?

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

Crossposting this in the PC building thread, but since I'm building a storage server, I thought I'd post here too.

Boot drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3160813AS 160GB 7200RPM ($40)
Storage: 3x Seagate Barracuda LP ST31500541AS 1.5TB 5900RPM ($110 each)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX ($120)
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W ($190)
RAM: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) ($50)
PSU: Antec earthwatts EA430 430W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 80 PLUS ($50)
Video Card: SPARKLE SFPX84GS256U2LF GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express x16 ($25)

Total Cost: $804.91

I already have a case and a CDROM drive (that I'll probably end up removing right after I install the OS). This ended up being way pricier than I was hoping for, though I know I went overboard in a few places (specifically on the CPU). I picked the motherboard for the 8xSATA II slots. I ended up going with Quad Core because I decided I wanted hardware virtualization support - I'm going to run Win Server 2k8 on the box and it seemed like a good idea to get a chip that could support hardware virtualization. Once I made that decision, it was either the Quad Core 2.66 for $190 or a Dual Core 3GHz for $168 (assuming I want a 6MB L2 cache, otherwise it's as cheap as $145). The video card is the cheapest I could find. Ideally I'd get a motherboard with onboard video since I'm going to run this PC headless, but I couldn't find one that also had 8 onboard SATA ports and didn't suck or wasn't extremely expensive.

Please rip this to shreds and suggest improvements.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Boot drive: Do you not have an old drive laying around to use for that? Or pick one up on SA-Mart...

Storage: I think Dell is running the WD 1.5TB greens at a bit over $90, check Slickdeals.

Motherboard + video: Gigabyte's P45 boards kick rear end but this is way overkill. Get one with onboard video, add a PCIe SATA controller down the road when you need more ports.

CPU: I run a Pentium D 2140 in mine but I'm not trying to virtualize anything with it. Also, at least originally, wasn't VT support actually slower than just doing it the old way?

RAM: Even with that CPU, will you see any benefit from DDR2 1066 over DDR2 800, assuming you're not overclocking?

PSU: Probably just fine, maybe slight overkill given what I was able to run on a 380W temporarily. Then again, that C2Q draws a lot more than a 2140.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look for a cheaper mobo with integrated video solution, but my thought was that mobo w/6 SATA + add-on SATA card would be more expensive than mobo w/8 SATA + add-on video card. As for the RAM, the board doesn't say it supprts DDR2 800, otherwise I'd definitely be using that. If I go with a different motherboard, I'll certainly take down the RAM. For the PSU, I know the 380W will likely be fine, but I went with the more powerful PSU because it has more SATA power connectors (4 vs. 2). I could just get a bunch of molex adapters, but that will clutter the case more and the price difference wasn't huge.

As for the CPU, hardware virtualization should be faster than software virtualization, plus it enables select scenarios (hyper-V, Win 7 + Win XP, though I'm not planning on doing the latter).

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have the Gigabyte EP45-DS3L in my main desktop, it supports DDR2 800 just fine.

How are you planning on handling the RAID? That may throw a wrench into things for your controllers. I run everything on software raid in Linux so I don't need to worry if an array spans multiple controllers (or even if the controllers are all the same type), but if you're planning on using the controllers to handle the array then you may want to go ahead and get a board with 8 SATA ports built in.

I am indeed planning on doing hardware RAID.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

TheNothingNew posted:

Hey, lookit that. I open this thread to ask a question, and someone's building a setup with the same motherboard. Cool.

I don't know how it affects your plans, but this board appears to have two controllers. See link below, pop the third pic open.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359

The two purple SATA connections are on their own controller, and support RAID 0/1/JBOD. The six yellow SATA connections are run off the south bridge, and support RAID 0/1/5/10/JBOD. It looks like you cannot link the two.

I'm using DDR 800, seems fine, although I should say that I'm not actually up and running yet. Check Gigabyte's website, I'm pretty sure it says it supports DDR 800.

edit: oh yeah, whole freaking list of supported DDR2 800 memory chips, and this is just what they've bothered to test:
http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2916

Oh, and setting up RAID is damned easy. You turn on the RAID controller you want in the BIOS, save/quit, then enter RAID and pick your RAID type and drives. And make sure you pick your boot order in the BIOS settings, you don't want your OS on the RAID array.

Question for the thread: how long, at a guess, does it take to set up the initial sync for a RAID array? RAID 5 (5+1), with 1TB drives, ~4.5 TB useable. 5400 rpm drives, 64kb stripe.
It's just that there isn't a countdown or anything, and this has been running for the last six hours. Still says "initialize" under status.

Wow, thanks for the heads up! Doesn't affect my board choice, though. As you saw, I've got 1 slot for a boot drive anyway, so I was only planning on 7 usable drives. I can live with 6.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

I know this question pertains more to Haus of Tech Support, and I do have a thread there (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387275&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post388402910), but I'm kind of wondering if I even went about this RAID expansion in the right way.

I had a RAID 5 array consisting of three 1.5 TB drives (total storage space ~3TB). It uses GPT & NTFS, and it's on a Windows 2008 Server x64 machine. I recently purchased two new 1.5TB drives and added one of them to the pool. I used Intel Matrix Storage Manager to expand the capacity of the raid array (which took a very, very long time - 300+ hours). When it completed, I was prompted to restart the PC in order to make use of the new space. I did so, and now the drive is inaccessible in Windows - it claims it's unformatted. If I go to server management and select storage, Windows properly detects the array, sees the previous partition of ~3TB as well as the unallocated space. But if I hit open or explore on that partition (or right click it for properties), it claims it's unformatted. It seems like I may have just lost 3TB of data! How can I get this back / what did I do wrong (or is there a problem with the software / the drives)? If I recover the data succesfully, how can I expand the partition to take up the entire space of the drive? EASEUS makes a product for expanding GPT arrays, but it only works up to 4TB which I'm now over.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

If anyone recalls, I recently attempted to expand a RAID 5 array to utter failure and the array basically needs to be nuked from orbit and rebuilt. I'm wondering now if I should build the array the same way I did last time (using Intel's firmware raid - Rapid Storage Technology), or if I should use Windows Server 2008's OS-level raid. I'm looking to do raid 5 across 5 1.5TB drives. Any suggestions for which of those two would be preferable?

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

I hate to cross-post, but my RAID5 array is dead and I am very worried that I have just lost all of my data despite the fact that I have 4/5 good drives! Details are in a HoTS thread and I'd really love any advice or suggestions you guys have. At this point I'm at a loss with what to try next. http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

Fitret posted:

I hate to cross-post, but my RAID5 array is dead and I am very worried that I have just lost all of my data despite the fact that I have 4/5 good drives! Details are in a HoTS thread and I'd really love any advice or suggestions you guys have. At this point I'm at a loss with what to try next. http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

I got some advice from a friend, which is to plug in those drives to another device with the same RAID controller (i.e. another motherboard that also supports ICH10R). Could this be dangerous at all (i.e. destroy data), or is it safe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

McGlockenshire posted:

Even though Intel firmware RAID is just short of a joke, it still tries to take itself seriously. The data about the array setup is stored on the disks, not inside the firmware on the board. You should be totally safe plugging all of the disks into another machine with an identical chipset.

Very, very modern versions of the Linux kernel and the mdraid tools also recognize Intel firmware RAID arrays and can perform basic maintenance on them as if they were normal software RAID drives. At the minimum, this could let you poke at the array from outside...

Thanks! I didn't think it could be a problem, but I figured better safe than sorry. Hopefully this works, otherwise I'm looking at whether or not my insurance company will cover data recovery scenarios.