Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Does anyone know of a NAS that might only use like, a pair or trio of 2.5" drives? Trying to fit everything into a 4-inch-wide wallbox is harder than I thought it would be.

https://wiki.radxa.com/Dual_Quad_SATA_HAT

this thing'll turn a raspberry pi into a 4 drive NAS and it'll probably fit in your wallbox - the case is pretty cool, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Speaking of - I've read a lot of mixed opinions on keeping drives spun up vs. letting them sleep. Is there a general time guideline for how often a drive is accessed that makes it better to leave spun up? Some people have said with modern drives the spin up doesn't wear that much so old arguments about spin ups drastically reducing life of a drive are outdated.

Is there a consensus here about that?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I'm not sure this is the place to ask this, but I didn't see a Plex thread in the first couple pages, and I'm doing this on an unraid server so it is kinda relevant: I'm going to put together a plex server, but I never realized how messy all my media is. Is there a tool that assists in the mass renaming of hundreds (or thousands?) of videos? I don't mind having to be present to help the tool pick the right thing - just anything faster than me manually renaming everything and moving them into properly named folders as appropriate.