Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Been wanting to set up a FreeNAS for a good while now but it always felt like overkill for my needs (plus space and power hogs), but these QNAP boxes with a full on Celeron and stuff like Plex and OwnCloud as plugins' look just right. Few questions; would those 5TB Toshiba drives okay to use? I have 2 in machines already that I could pull and repurpose for a head start. If I get a 4 bay device can I start with 2 drives and easily pop in more later or do I need to load the whole thing up at once?

On the software side I know I'd like to have certain things like my personal documents, pictures, etc encrypted and backed up to Glacier/Crashplan, but movies/music and such in the clear. Also pretty wary of exposing it to the internet, anybody run a VPN for this sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I have a few of those Toshiba 5tb kicking around in desktops and they've been fine so far (6+ mos). When I get around to setting up my NAS I was just going to start by repurposing a few

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Does the Fractal 304 often go on sale to $60? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352027

I was checking out the stuff I'd need to convert my lil microATX htpc into a FreeNAS box [6 bay case, PCIe SATA, and.. the drives], and that seemed like a good enough deal to jump on right now.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Anyone have experience with AsRock Rack boards? I've been eyeing one of the new Xeon E3 v5's + Mini ITX board (really want to make that Node 304 with 6 drives work) for a FreeNAS build, and there's only really two options;

This Supermicro (which I'm lead to believe is the gold standard brand)
$189, But it's on the older chipset and such only has 5 SATA ports + an M.2. The newegg description says it uses Non-ECC RAM but if I'm reading SM's 1998 style website correctly it can take either? Because a workstation/server-ish board that can't use ECC RAM would be worthless?

And these Asrock Rack boards
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813599009
$199, 8 SATA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813599005
$259, 6 SATA, M.2, IPMI

Given they recommend booting off a USB stick, an M.2 SSD for the OS is likely overkill; and that I probably don't need IPMI for something in my home (right?), I could just go with the cheaper Asrock.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Finally started settling on some parts. Can I get a FreeNAS build sanity check?

Stuff I have to reuse
Hard Drives: 2x TOSHIBA 5TB 3.5 Desktop SATA 7200RPM
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case

Stuff to buy
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($252.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: 4x Western Digital Red 5TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($194.99 @ Amazon)

These parts aren’t on Parts Picker yet:
Motherboard: Asrock Rack D2I (Newegg)
Memory: Samsung DDR4-2133 16GB/2Gx72 ECC CL15 Samsung Chip Server Memory
Alternative Memory pick Super Talent DDR4-2133 16GB/1Gx72 ECC CL15 Samsung Chip Server Memory (Same chips as the above, but $18 less)
Those were the only 16GB DDR4 ECC UDIMMs I've found, so that's an easy choice

and

Boot Drives 2x SanDisk UltraFit 16GB
From reading their forums I guess they're moving away from USB sticks for boot but should be fine for now? I guess I can always get an M.2 drive later on, even if it means I'd have to get a SATA controller card to keep using the 6 drive pool. Moving the controller the drives are on won't gently caress up the pool will it?

Alternatively I could still go with this board, $60 cheaper, no IPMI (which I think I could live without), but has 8 SATA ports. And just get a lil SATA DOM guy.
Motherboard: ASRock C236 WSI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What do you guys use to access your poo poo from the outside? OpenVPN?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
There's also the case of the old/weird [wmv, mov, xvid, ...] and future [h265/vp(8)(9)/eventually AOmedia] sources that even if they are supported client side you maybe want a h264 stream for the hardware decoding to save battery. Transcoding was a bigger deal when devices only supported very specific codecs/containers, and there was less standardization around h264. Most of the time yeah, you'll just be streaming the native file. But it's still a nice-to-have for future proofing, the aforementioned audio stuff, and just to not have to worry about it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Thermopyle posted:

I have not been following closely so I don't know if it was mentioned, but I moved from Plex to Emby, so check that out as well.

If you use Kodi, it's great because it can integrate with it seamlessly.

Yeah, I'm running Emby and am pretty happy. I also ended up not using Kodi much in favor of the Emby client app, but Kodi did seem to work great with it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The new FreeNAS UI looks pretty nice. Not just visually, seems like feedback and responsiveness is vastly improved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TS6vvpP1yQ

Edit: bhyve+docker will be a huge shot in the arm for the ecosystem.

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 11, 2016

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
FWIW I've got a couple Toshiba 5 TBs that have been fine for ~2 years so far.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
FreeNAS itself is pretty easy to grok, especially once it's set up. It took me much longer to learn the fundamentals of ZFS, like pools and all those layers.

It probably wasn't necessary to learn all that going in but I was deathly afraid of doing something "wrong" and then have to restructure things while juggling the garbage I'd filled it up with

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I have an Asrock Rack E3C236D2I in my Mini-ITX build and it's been great. The IPMI is pretty good, though I've only really needed it once.

http://asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C236D2I#Specifications

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Godspeed! You Early Adopters

I'm waiting until final release or really the first patch. My desire for the decent web gui and docker is heavily outweighed by not wanting to muck about in a half baked migration

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Said gently caress it and went ahead and updated to Corral last night. It went as smoothly as I could expect, but I didn't have a terribly complex setup to begin with. The new Web UI is indeed fantastic, at least compared to the previous one. Stuff is much more discoverable in addition feeling snappier. Setting up the Docker equivalents of my plugins was actually much easier than setting up the plugins was, mostly from having easy mount point mapping. Documentation on a lot of this is lacking still, but there's some useful bits linked in their forums.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Hughlander posted:

Just use the --ip option to docker run.

Is there a way to invoke zeroconf (or whtatever) magicks to give containers a .local address?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

TTerrible posted:

I liked 9 but the decisions in 10 are just baffling to me. Docker? Really? People have mentioned a few other strange regressions in behaviour.

For all the misgivings I have for Docker as a thing, it's extremely good as a replacement for the old plugins.

There's a few minor UI quirks but other than that Corral has been great. It's not uncommon for a project lead to quit after a big release. The only concern I have is that thought they could release without actual documentation :psyduck:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I went way overkill on my FreeNAS setup, but I had the cash to buy it all upfront and wanted a project that I could just set and forget anyway. Now I have something super great and will continue to be useful for whatever bullshit I throw at it for 5-10+ years. :shrug:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

:shepicide:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah my Corral setup has been fine, so I'm sitting on it at least until they cook up their Docker solution. I don't wanna ad hoc something and then have to migrate again, when there's not really a pressing need.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm happy with my X300 5TB "regular" drives so far, for what it's worth.

I had a couple of these in my desktop and re-used them when I built my NAS, mixed with 4 WD reds. No issues yet after 2 years.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Is there a way to get a sense of how close the next release is? Their forum isn't too helpful. My Corral's docker host is now making GBS threads the bed every other day.m, nd I don't wanna invest time fixing something I'm gonna throw out anyway once 11.1 comes out

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

G-Prime posted:

11.1 is slated for Oct 2, but their roadmap makes me think they're going to miss that date by a country mile. Maybe by the end of the year. And I think I saw that their docker support got bumped to 11.2

I figured as much :smithicide:. Maybe if I have a free afternoon I'll just do what I was avoiding and upgrade then redo the VM by hand.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
So, I finally migrated off my rapidly decaying Corral install over the weekend. I was trying to hold off until 11.1 for the Docker support. But predictably, 11.1 is late, and probably won't even have it anyway if I'm reading the tea leaves right. Between plugins/a couple hand rolled jails I have my essential services running again.

Two questions:

Is there extra upkeep I need to do for each jail, or does it get updated with the rest of the system? I only used plugins back on 9.x so I never really learned much about actual jails, also aside from Emby none of it was exposed publicly.

Aside from media stuff, what else do y'all run on your servers? Probably gonna up a Certbot jail so I can HTTPS up my Emby (and NextCloud whenever I get around to setting that up), but I'm wondering if there's any other little services that would make life easier that I'm not thinking of.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Good call on checking my scheduled tasks, I forgot to do that. Does this look okay?

Scrubs

SMART tests

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I was actually checking memory prices earlier today, to see about adding another stick to my skylake xeon build. Yep, they're still almost double of what I paid in march 2016, and that was when there were almost no DDR4 ECC modules to choose from.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The one thing I wish I realized when I was moving my services from Corral to FN11 jails is that which UI you log into determines what kind of jails you get. I used the old UI to build them because it actually works, and now I have to pray I don’t lose them whenever the transition happens

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
FWIW Emby supports playing VIDEO_TS folders but you just get the main title. No menus/extra features.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
On FreeNAS, if I switch from the 11-STABLE train to the 11.2-STABLE to get the 11.2 beta 2, what happens when/after 11.2 is released? I've got a little time coming up to mess with my setup/redo my jails. But, I just want to get up and running with the new UI, not be continually running betas.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I jumpstarted my NAS build with two of the 5TB Toshibas pulled from my desktop. They've been running fine the last few years alongside four 5TB Reds. I did put them on the outside edge slots of my case so they'd maybe get more room to cool. But, I don't think there's a meaningful difference.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I've been running the Ports version in a jail. It lags behind the official release by a fair amount, but otherwise it's not too bad once you actually get it running.

But yeah, the second it breaks I'm just ponying up for a cloud key.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Enos Cabell posted:

drat, I need a static IP and it looks like that's going to be a bigger hassle to get from my ISP than I thought.

You probably actually want Dynamic DNS. https://freedns.afraid.org/

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Plex actually just added hardware transcoding on FreeBSD. Of course, I had to support the little guy and went with Emby, but it’s a sign that it can be done now.

I’ll say outside of the warden jails to corral docker to warden jails to iocage jails mess (which hopefully is the last bandaid to rip), I’ve had zero issues with my freenas setup. I’ve not janitored anything else since it was built. Now that the new UI is more or less in place and jail management is settled it seems like what little drama there was is fully over.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
How worried do I need to be about this?
It's part of a 6 disk RAID Z2

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

H110Hawk posted:

The technical term for that disks state is "hosed"

Fair enough. Funny, that's one of my Reds. I'd have expected them to outlive the older, cheapo Toshibas in there.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've got four of their non-NAS 5TB drives with *checks* about 13000 hours on each and not a single error reported among them, so there's that.

Yeah I have a mix of these and 5TB WD Reds. When a drive died and it turned out to be a Red I went shopping. The Toshiba's were super cheap and I didn't hesitate in favor of a "real" NAS drive. Based on that sure I'd certainly trust their NAS line, but yeah it's always a crapshoot.

I did think about shucking on of those 10TB easystores, but by the time I'll want to grow the pool I'm sure there'll be cheap 12+ TB drives so it'd be a waste.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Gay Retard posted:

What kind of case does everybody use? I've been on the hunt for a mid-tower that could comfortably hold 8 3.5" drives, and finally settled on an open box Fractal R5 for $60 on eBay. Eventually I'll replace the 2 x 5.25" bays.

I'm pretty bummed that I missed out on NZXT's closeout of their H440, which is noticeably smaller and fits 10 drives. Just a month ago, they were being sold for $65.

Next up: Gabbing a closeout Ryzen 7 + Motherboard so I can mess around with Unraid VMs.

Node 304. 6 drive limit keeps the hoarding in check. And easily fits tucked away in a ikea kallax cubby.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I use the built in Cloud Credentials/Cloud Sync to copy off to my OneDrive and S3. Getting the OneDrive credentials is kind of a pain but it's a free TB of space. I backup my music there, because it fits and I don't particularly care if Microsoft scans all my CD rips and concert bootlegs.
Then my important stuff (docs, photos, etc) goes to S3. I should switch to B2 since it's cheaper but I already had a personal AWS account setup.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

H110Hawk posted:

I disagree that some random blog post makes that clear.

That was plastered all over the official instructions for enabling WSL. The fact that you could dig down and access the files that unsafe way at all isn't great but probably unavoidable? And they didn't make it easy for that reason.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I was actually just wondering about picking up one of those exact He10 drives, but for my desktop as a new games drive. I don't necessarily need that much space. I'd be okay at 4-6TB -- but that's firmly out of affordable SSD range, and hybird drives don't seem to exist anymore. I was looking at what the fastest spinny drives might be, and that looked like it was up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

IOwnCalculus posted:

The fastest spinning drives are still orders of magnitude below SSD in performance, but yes, the more dense the drive, the marginally better performance it will have.

Of course I also manage to keep my desktop confined to a 500GB SSD and no other disks other than a single unshucked 10TB Easystore. In your shoes for $200 I'd be doing my damnedest to try and shrink below 2TB, because even the Intel 660p NVMe has been as low as $220, and there have been 2TB SATA SSDs in the $190 range.

I could shave down to 2tb of stuff pretty easily -- right now. Games be gettin bloated though. 80-100GB is becoming normal. I'm less concerned with load times than having to janitor the space. Last time I tried games off an SSD, it wasn't that dramatic of an improvement anyway, it's mostly occasional sequential reads. Granted that was pre-nvme so maybe there's a bigger difference these days. But I've been not unsatisfied running off a clogged up very old cheapo 4tb :shrug:

Atomizer posted:

I have a refurb'd 6 TB He6 in my gaming desktop and it's still fantastic. It might be a little clicky/loud but that's irrelevant to me, and it's pretty fast (IIRC I benchmarked it around 200 MB/s r/w sequential.) They're still regularly around $100, I think mostly from GoHardDrive, and they resell on Newegg Flash and eBay. I have that drive backed up to a USB Easystore/Elements. The only reason I haven't bought more of those refurb'd drives is because for both my gaming desktop and my Plex server, I'll need to upgrade capacity to 8 or 10 TB in the near future, but otherwise I'd recommend the HeX refurbs. For HDD pricing, basically $20 or better per TB is good, although NAS/enterprise stuff is always more expensive.

Good to know these refurbs are reliable, that was my other concern. Or at least, not especially more likely to up and die compared something new.