Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I built a machine to set up a NAS with some disks I have lying around, so far pretty impressed with unraid, it's so incredibly easy to use. I like that you set up the shares and then don't have to care about which disks hold your data.

However, I'm only getting around 60MB/s transfer speed, when gigabit ethernet is supposed to go up to 125MB/s, both machines are connected via ethernet cable to the same gigabit switch, what else could be causing it not to reach full speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Parity is built and I have an ssd as cache (although it's pretty old so might not help as much)

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Can you run "iperf" on both machines? Before looking too hard at your setup I would make sure your switch can actually push the packets.

Interesting, so judging by this the network is fine and the slowdown would be somewhere else

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Mystery solved, these old drives are slow as hell.

I plan on replacing them soon anyway so no worries, will deal with it in the meantime. I was planning to cannibalize my 4tb drive to add it to the array but better keep it intact in the meantime in case these die.

Thanks for the help!

e: nvm, the test ran while parity check was running, hence the horrible results, ran it again and got around 100MB/s for both disks

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 12, 2018

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Right, I did set up the cache but I'm doing the initial data move and it filled up. Will check performance again when I add new disks but for now I just hook up my usb drive and copied the initial data using rsync to the user share.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

What's your log rotation tool/policy on unraid? Recently I had a bug spamming syslog and was wondering what's a good strategy, I didn't find any plugins to deal with this.

The "Fix Common Problems" plugin is great to find out about this sort of thing btw.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Axe-man posted:

getting most of the complexity of having a nas and placing it behind a good ui

I have never used a synology so I might be way off and they're worlds apart, but this is also true of unraid in my experience

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Constellation I posted:

Another aspect is definitely the hardware, I can see people just not wanting to build a PC or they see re-purposing an old PC as a hassle (and it is, depending on the case and how old the components are). Way easier to just buy a box with built-in drive bays, buy some drives and go.

Yeah this is a great point for prebuilt solutions. If I didn't have much space or wasn't willing to deal with hardware I would definitely get one.

The great thing about Unraid for me is that it's a perfect midpoint between ready to go pre built solutions or finicky nerd poo poo. When I was younger I enjoyed the nerd poo poo a lot, now not so much. Either way it's great that there are so many options for home storage, instead of the nerd poo poo being the only choice.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Is there any risk in having your NAS be on 8 hours per day and go to sleep the rest of the day? Would the hdds degrade quicker or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I'm looking for a NAS device, I have done the PC with unraid thing but it just uses too much power so I want to part it out and replace it.

I almost impulse bought this because it's very attractive to me that I could mount it on my network rack https://www.qnap.com/en/product/ts-431xeu/specs/hardware

Budget: around $700 (I already have drives)

Requirements

- Low power usage
- At least 4 SATA 3.5in bays
- At least one bay for SSD cache (2.5in SATA or m.2)
- Support for running containers (I want to run my pihole there)

Nice to have
- Short depth rackmount form factor (I realize that probably only the qnap linked above fits this one)
- Security camera integration of some kind

Any suggestions? I know the QNAP OS has both things that I want but they have a million different devices and it is unclear to me which ones actually support Container Station. Also I don't need transcoding or plex or anything like that and I don't expect to ever use it.

Thanks!

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 3, 2022