Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

Stonefish posted:

A lot like that, yes. Except not in PCI-X flavour.
Let me see, 8 SATA2 ports would require 8x3Gbit/sec to avoid theoretical bottlenecks, right? 3GBytes/sec would be about 6 PCI-E 2.0 lanes, so I guess it would have to be a PCI-E 8x card.

The card linked above could only handle about a third of that. and yes, I know it's not easy to max out a single SATA lane with a 7200 disk.

Basically, I don't have any PCI-X slots, nor have I ever seen one anywhere.

Hell, I just want a PCI-E card with 4+ SATA2 ports that supports Vista 64 for a reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003
Did someone mention getting rtorrent for opensolaris? I'm really struggling to get it going.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003
I just built a server that is maxing out my gigabit ethernet at around 100MB/s, what's the next step up networking wise?

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

Dobermaniac posted:

Is this a server in your home?
If so, just wondering... what do you do to max this out enough that you're looking for a solution?

Just curious what my options are, I don't feel like spending a ton of money because I don't really need the speed, it'd just be nice. I move a lot of files around.

Edit: I should mention that just directly connecting two computers somehow would be perfectly acceptable.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm actually kind of impressed that he's getting full speed out of his gigabit network, I've heard that cheaper NICs and switches will only reach half to two-thirds that. I'm curious to know just what his configuration and setup is.

It was between a crappy netgear switch and two gigabyte brand motherboards. No jumbo frames. Server is an OpenSolaris box with a five disk raidz. It seems to be capable of 200MB/s, maybe more. That was during a scrub (CPU/IO intensive).

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

xamphear posted:

200MB/s (where MB = MegaBytes) over Gigabit ethernet is physically impossible. http://web.forret.com/tools/bandwidth.asp?speed=200&unit=MB%2Fs

Do you mean 200mbps (where mb = megabits) which works out to 25MBps? That's a very typical speed over a crappy gigabit switch and onboard nics.

You misunderstood, scrubbing is like chkdsk /R for ZFS. No network involved.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

KennyG posted:

I rewrote the thing in .NET and modeled raid arrays from 2-64 disks 1000 times each. I just optimized the code and am working on a 1,000,000 rep sim to try and improve the reliability of some of the averages.

If you want to know about how long you can expect your raid array to last - check this out.

Any chance you could add a hot spare option? I'm wondering if raid 5 + hot spare would be as good/better than raid 6

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

KennyG posted:

I'm currently running the 1m sim. Next up is the hotspare.

Excellent, I looked around your site and love what you're doing, but is modeling HUGE arrays realistic? I thought everyone knows to keep their pools around 10 drives or less.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003
I'd love to hear about the rtorrent troubles. I eventually got an older version working but my scripts never worked correctly so I'm running XP on virtualbox for utorrent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

adorai posted:

did you try opensolaris, sxce, or solaris proper? I'd never touched solaris before and picked up opensolaris in about a day.

Seriously, if you're comfortable with linux opensolaris really isn't that bad. Once you wrap your head around smf it's great.

Edit: Documentation is really lacking though, the opensolaris bible is very good and very helpful.