Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

napking
Aug 31, 2003
awesome thread and it's great to see so much opensolaris/zfs talk. i've been running opensolaris for the past few months now in my diy nas amd64 box. i'm running the 1/2008 release (snv81?) now because of the cifs server release. it's been pretty rock solid for the past two months. i installed azureus with remote web interface as a headless smf service.

the only thing that's missing in my build is something like twonkymedia to share videos to my xbox. i tried porting ushare but i really had no idea what i was doing. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

napking
Aug 31, 2003
is the readynas nv+ still regarded as the top of the line bee's knees?

napking
Aug 31, 2003
my opensolaris b81 install was becoming unstable and then i couldn't logon to it at all this weekend. i booted into the failsafe and saw my zfs pools were still intact so that was a good sign.

i installed 2008.05 on top of the b81 and it's been great so far the past few days. zfs root is awesome!

napking
Aug 31, 2003

Toiletbrush posted:

Apparently they're going to add the b89 packages somewhen in the rest of this week (2008.05 is b86, the b89 packages include Gnome 2.22). Be prepared to witness the awesomeness that's pkg image-update and boot environments. Gotta love having pkg use ZFS to create a clone of the current system and update the clone, so it doesn't interfere at all with you and your work.

so far it's been great. i've got rtorrent+screen up and running and i'll try to get one of the webui plugins going later this week.

do you know if the current version of zfs lets me change a mirrored two disk pool into a raidz pool by adding a third disk? i'd really like to expand this pool without going through hoops.

napking
Aug 31, 2003

poo poo Copter posted:

I'm having trouble enabling CIFS on my zpool.

is this opensolaris 2008.05? the iso didn't ship with the cifs server. you'll need to use the ips to pull it down.

http://www.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started_With_the_Solaris_CIFS_Service

code:
# pkg install SUNWsmbs
# pkg install SUNWsmbskr
and then a restart worked for me before svcs smb/server showed up.

napking
Aug 31, 2003

poo poo Copter posted:

I had installed those packages, but hadn't tried rebooting...

Thanks

yeah i was totally confused too when smb/server wasn't showing up after installing those packages because i assumed that the installer would register and start those services automatically. oh well. glad i could help.

napking
Aug 31, 2003

gnaw at your paw posted:

Hi,

I noticed a lot of the NAS described here are for personal use. At work, we are looking to replace our Snap Server 4200 http://www.turkbyte.net/snap/Datasheet_4200.pdf. It is failing about once a week and requiring reboots all the time. It is about 5 years old.

We are looking for a modern solution with our school of about 300 users, ~50 concurrent users. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive enterprise solution that provide a NAS similar to the one we had before and offers support contracts?

I am thinking ~$2000 for device + $300 year for support? Or something along those lines.

maybe a netgear readynas is what you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

napking
Aug 31, 2003

w_hat posted:

Did someone mention getting rtorrent for opensolaris? I'm really struggling to get it going.

i got azureus running on opensolaris many moons ago:
http://willvuong.blogspot.com/2008/02/azureus-and-x86-opensolaris-and-webui.html