Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

You crack me up, lil buddy!

Gism0 posted:

I've got an Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard (Intel Z77 chipset) with 4 SATA ports and 2 eSATA ports.

Does this mean I can only use 4 internal disks? I was reading about port multipliers but I couldn't find out if it would be supported with this board, or if it's even a common thing.. If not does anyone have an recommendations for a cheap 4-port SATA card that supports 3TB disks? I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and ZFS. Cheers 8)

You should be able to use six, you'll just need to get an eSATA -> SATA cable and feed it back into the case. It's not the most elegant solution, but it should work. Just double-check the manual first - I had an intel DH67CF that I though I would be able to use five SATA devices with, but it turns out the eSATA was mutually exclusive to one of the normal SATA ports, and it wasn't possible to use both at the same time. Guess they thought they could save some money by not wiring an extra SATA port off the PCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

Mantle posted:

I'm having trouble with permissions management on my nas4free box. Is there no way in the GUI to create/manage folders in my zfs datasets?

What I woud like to do is have individual logins for each user in my company, and depending on the group that the user is in, r/w access to various datasets. If the user creates a file in those datasets, the permissions are set to rwx--S--- for that user only, so that other people with access to that dataset cannot access that new file. How can I make it so new files created in a dataset inherit the permissions of the dataset? Right now I have to manually change the group permissions for all directories so all my users can access the directories.

Edit:

This is what happens when james and andy create new directories:
code:
[andy@pdrive ~/pdrive/client_projects]$ ls -l
total 6
drwxr-xr-x  3 root   wheel  3 Sep 28 10:27 Network Trash Folder
drwxr-xr-x  3 root   wheel  3 Sep 28 10:27 Temporary Items
drwx--S---  3 james  team   3 Sep 28 13:03 james
drwx--S---  3 andy   team   3 Sep 28 12:17 test project
This is what I want to automatically happen
code:
total 6
drwxr-xr-x  3 root   wheel  3 Sep 28 10:27 Network Trash Folder
drwxr-xr-x  3 root   wheel  3 Sep 28 10:27 Temporary Items
drwxrwx---  3 james  team   3 Sep 28 13:03 james
drwxrwx---  3 andy   team   3 Sep 28 12:17 test project

Doing this locally (ie: If they are logged into the server directly) would involve changing the umask. Doing this in OSX is easy enough to do (see here), but whether it carries across onto the fileserver depends on which protocol you are using. Doing it in windows is not something I'm familiar with, sorry.

Alternatively, if you're using CIFS/SMB (which I assume you are, at least for windows), you can set masks on file/directory creation directly. If you set these to 006, you should get the desired permissions. This will make ALL users set permissions like this. The easiest workaround if you only want SOME users to share files with their group is just to set the primary group for those who shouldn't be sharing files to something unique (most linux systems have a group with an identical name to each user for this purpose). It's not the nicest solution, but it would work. Documentation on SMB/CIFS is [irl=http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php?id=documentation:setup_and_user_guide:services_cifs_smb_samba]here[/url].

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

ZFS stores all of it's metadata on the drives, you just have to run "zfs import" and it will scan all the drives and figure out what's on them.

I think mdadm needs a config file, but it can also scan the drives to generate it? It's been so long since I've used mdadm.

As far as I remember, it stores it's RAID settings in a superblock either on Drive #1 of the RAID or on every drive of the raid (option when you build it). So mdadm --assemble --scan should just make everything magically work again. Just don't ever use --build or --create unless you intend to wipe things.