Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm just about to throw in the towel with FreeNAS. I love many, many of its features, but I feel that they've been getting progressively more broken as time goes on. Currently, on solid hardware (Lenovo TS440, Xeon E3-1225, 32GB ECC, H310 HBA), I can't get Plex to stream a single 1080p movie file without stuttering and the audio getting out of sync. The phpVirtualBox install I had going perfectly has decided to lunch itself, and the installer doesn't work properly, so I've had to manually install everything, and Transmission has some odd user-level permissions fuckery going on that defies my BSD knowledge, and CrashPlan is a royal pain in the rear end every time they update the software (yes, I know this isn't FreeNas's fault). Combined with the fact that I want to increase my array size and I'll have to do the whole zpool backup, flatten, and re-allocate and the questionable future of FreeNAS 11, I'm strongly considering just switching to Windows and using the built-in RAID on the HBA, or something like UnRaid with functional Docker implementation.

Any other options that I'm ignoring? I really like ZFS for certain things, but my data are mostly backed up off-site anyhow, and anything that isn't... isn't THAT critical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Matt Zerella posted:

Don't forget a robust, helpful, and non-hostile support community.
:lol: I assume UnRaid has this, because FreeNAS sure as gently caress doesn't.

eames posted:

Yeah this x 100
ZFS is nice but not nice enough to deal with FreeNAS and its community. The recent "Corral" clusterf*** just confirmed that to me.
Unraid has its flaws (plenty of them and mosty security related) but once running it allows you to have things like nextcloud/plex/crashplan up and running in 2 minutes instead of 2 days of browsing arcane blogs on FreeBSD... and that includes working, hands-off autoupdates.
I feel the same way, and with the lead dev's departure combined with the increasing hostility of the forums... no thanks.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm convinced that the only way to do Crashplan on *nix these days is in Docker. I have a box colocated at work that I set up docker in just to run Crashplan, because it's so much more reliable than running it natively in Ubuntu.

I like ZFS too much to abandon it altogether but I'm with you on loving off of FreeNAS. As soon as I can scrounge up a couple of cheap SSDs (ideally once I sell the motherboard I pulled out of this server), I'll start that process.
Roger. I've been fighting Crashplan long enough, I just want it to be easy. Hell, I'd run a loving Windows VM and manage it there, but the VBox install is still kind of hosed up and a hack.

I have no problem spending the money on the software. $140 for UnRaid? Fine, done.

I'll start researching the setup, and I'll probably bug you folks. Wish me luck. Time to dig out a couple of archive drives and start backing everything up.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Clonezilla or macrium reflect do everything I need on non-Samsung disks. Samsung's migration utility is great for their stuff.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

jawbroken posted:

1 parity drive is fine for drives that large.

You forgot the /s at the end of that statement.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Welp, woke up this morning to a hung FreeNAS screen, and the monitor on the box blank. A boot later, and Error5:unretryable error on the USB boot drive... 2 hours later, I had everything back except my Crashplan jail, which had been modified recently. Not too shabby.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I couldn't say, the M1015 is a known quantity and is a workhorse. All the consumer grade cards I see are just slapped together with either a Marvell or Silicon Image controller and I couldn't name you a good one by name. I don't even think Startech, which is maybe the one company I can think of, even has a 4 port card that's inexpensive.

In the world of 4x RAID drives, $50 for a controller is expensive? :scrunt:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Knifegrab posted:

I've been noticing some weird issues cropping up on my PC. How can I check my hard drive health? I suspect one of my many may be failing... I have both SSD's and spinning platters.

Run SMART diagnostics, usually there's a manufacturer tool to do so. Your SSD should have a tool as well, it'll tell you how many writes and assess the health of the drive.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

redeyes posted:

I was thinking about this. USB drives are not even close to reliable enough to run as a NAS boot drive. Any other options?

They do ok so long as there's no writes and limited reads. I've had two drives go tits up from freenas. It's one of the reasons I haven't switched. With freenas, I just have a backup script that writes the config file to one of the shares. If it dies, I just replace the drive, copy the freenas install, and update the config. It's an hour of downtime, max.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

Or...use crashplan!

...which actively tries to gently caress up NAS installs, or at least makes zero effort to support them. There's not a great solution, sadly.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Eletriarnation posted:

Has anyone here experimented with using a high-performance single board computer with a multiple drive USB 3.0-SATA enclosure as a NAS? It seems like 4-drive enclosures with fans are available around $100 from multiple brands and something like a $65 Odroid-XU4 would be more than capable of running mdadm RAID 5 calculations while using a lot less power than a full x86 desktop, but I'm not sure if there would be any hidden bottlenecks from using USB or reliability concerns with the enclosure.

USB blows for this sort of sustained stuff. Expect to suffer 30%+ slower speeds than you'd think.

I just wish there was a decent SBC with SATA built-in, but I haven't found much.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Eletriarnation posted:

At $0.10/kWH, 65W constant costs $0.156 for one day or ~$57/year so you can extrapolate from there based on your situation.

Must be nice... I'm sitting at $0.22/kWh. Stupid Cape Cod.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

In searching for this post I just realized I've been posting in this thread alone for ten years :stonk:

I posted in this thread 4 hours and 15 minutes after you did. And I'm mentioned in the OP. :lol:

We're old.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Devian666 posted:

On a separate issue that's a hell of a lot of atom processors. My VM server has 8 atom cpus, I'm not sure what I'd do with 16 in a NAS.

Twice as much, duh. :v:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Sneeze Party posted:

I have a Synology 212j with two 3gb drives in RAID-1. If I yank one and replace it with a 6tb drive, will it correctly duplicate from the 3gb, and then can I replace the other 3gb drive with another 6tb drive?

It should. It'll probably take a long time, but that's the best way. Be sure to backup prior to yanking, RAID is not backup, yadda yadda yadda.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Storage goons, how long after a drive has run in one orientation should it not be changed to another.

I have a 10tb WD that's about a year old with only light usage (media drive for watching stuff) that i want to switch orientations with in a new case, but don't want to run into any issues or shorten its lifespan.

Is there a threshold either in terms of hours on or data written in a single orientation?

Thanks in advance.

:wtf:
You mean physical orientation? Just mount it. It's not a liquid, it isn't going to care.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
System requirements: speakers turned up to 11, and colloidal mineral coolant for the CPU.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

8-bit Miniboss posted:

On that note, I’ll recommend against the Lenovo TS440 if you’re planning to start small and expand. It’s been discontinued and most of the parts are as well including the HDD Expansion kit that gives you 4 more hot swap slots.

Entirely too big for just 4 drives which has me switch up my hardware now (previous posts).

It's a shame too, they're well-built. I've got the expansion cage, cable, and power board in mine though. It took like 3 months of eBay saved searches to find them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I assume the answer is the usual "buy the biggest Synology that you can", but I've got a colleague at my old company who has a home office where he does a ton of data processing.
Right now, he's got about 10 2TB or 4TB extrernal drives, all with a mix-match of stuff on them. According to him, he has an actual data volume of ~4TB that needs to be accessible, but backed up. He's currently using Acronis to do drive imaging, and manually dealing with deleting copies of his desktop's drive, all over GigE. Needless to say, this ain't working.

I was thinking about a Synology DS1817+ and sticking with Gigabit Ethernet. If he needs higher speeds, has anyone used the Synology SPF cards to get 10GE? I'd probably just put a card in his desktop and run a cable to the NAS. No need for a switch.

As for drives, AFAIK, it's still WD Red supremacy, right? I'm leaning towards 8x4TB drives, which would give him 26TB of usable space, assuming 2 drives lost to RAID. It looks like the only way to do offsite backup is Backblaze, assuming 6TB of data initial, and 100GB/week, its not horribly expensive.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Thanks Ants posted:

If you only need 4TB of data then it will be fine. My beef with Synology are that their boxes are really underspecced compared to the big numbers of how much total capacity you can have, number of expansion boxes etc. Outside of the top end of their range it’s an Atom CPU and 4GB RAM, and the thing gets hammered doing search indexing, array maintenance etc.

And probably not much of a concern to your needs, but AFAIK the expansion shelves would be seen as a new volume and so you won’t be able to span shares across them. This isn’t that uncommon in networked storage but I’ve seen people get disappointed that they can’t just have one massive share called “files” and keep it growing forever.

Was this directed at me? I'm planning on his storage being ~10TB total, with much of it being archive/static data. I wasn't planning any expansion shelves, as that should provide plenty of data, and I'm not fond of the eSATA connection. If he needs more storage in 5 years, I'm sure there'll be other options, or just outright replacing the box.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah sorry it was - a bit of a rambling late night post but the takeaway is that people need to consider what move they're going to make when they fill up their storage.

Understood.

Another Synology question: Worth getting the DS1817+ vs the DS1817? The non-plus has built-in 10GBe, saving me $100-$200 in upgrade cards. I'm not planning on doing any sort of transcoding, and very limited apps other than maybe BackBlaze.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

100% Dundee posted:

There's a QNAP 10GBe expansion card that is less than $100 or so that I believe works perfectly in Synology units. I've seen videos where people use it and posters on reddit mention it before, this is the card I believe(https://www.amazon.com/QXG-10G1T-Single-port-Low-profile-pre-loaded-Full-height/dp/B07CW2C2J1). Granted, it's still $90 or so but that's a bargain compared to a lot of the other supported 10GBe card prices.

I can't really help you in regards to which one is better for your purposes though, I don't totally understand any of the differences apart from the slightly faster processor and higher RAM capacity. The synology website has a very good compare function that you can use and see if the extra features that the 1817+ matter to you or outweigh the built in 10GBe ports of the standard 1817. Also to see if they justify the price difference for you.

Yeah, apparently there are Mellanox SFP cards that work too. They're $40/pair, so hardly a cost consideration. I went with the 1817+, the PCI-E slot and more RAM pushed me over to it.

:edit: and 8x8TB WD Essentials. They reportedly HGST drives inside.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 26, 2018

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

Might be a 15% coupon on eBay tomorrow too.

Yup. PICKSOON is the code.
https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2018/0927/69157.html

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I've got the DS1817+ running now, with 8x 8TB WD Elements shucked drives, which are WD80EMAZ drives. No 3.3v problems with the Synology. Built a RAID6 array, and am currently pushing 10TB of data across regular GigE at 112MB/s. Not shabby at all. Next up is installing the ConnectX2 cards and beating on this thing via 10GBE. Thanks for the suggestions.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
WD Elements 8TB drives are cheap and have WD80EMAZ drives in them. I just shucked 8 of them, it takes me about 2 minutes now. That's what I'd do.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Enos Cabell posted:

Shucked 3 of the WD MyBooks I ordered from Amazon last night, they were made in Thailand and had the WD80EZAZ 256mb cache white label drives. From what I understand, these are the ones I need to power with regular molex to sata adapter right?

Tape on Pin3 works too, and doesn't introduce another adapter to fail (and buy). I used Kapton because I had it around, but even Scotch tape will do. I wouldn't use Electrical tape, it's likely to leave adhesive residue and slide around more than the clear stuff.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Clark Nova posted:

Dell PERC H310, or just an LSI 9211-8i if you don't want to gently caress with the convoluted firmware flashing process

And don't forget that depending on the motherboard, you may have to mask off a pin on the PCI-E connector with tape. It's cheaper, but the time required isn't worth the tradeoff IMHO. I did it, but wished I didn't.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
WD Elements 8TBs have HGST drives in them, also easily shuckable. $149 each or less.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Moey posted:

I did learn that the cost of new dental implants might surprise me.

LOL, yup, that's awful. Even my ad blocker didn't catch them all.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

borkencode posted:

Just opened a 4TB easystore to expand my pool, and it's got a WD Blue in it. Should I try and swap it? Or is it only the 8 and 10TB easystores that have red/white drives in them?

Only the 8TB for sure, dunno about the 10. The 4 is whoknowswhat.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

TenementFunster posted:

well, it has Been Decided that the white case of the DS218j is Too White for the rest of my all-black A/V rack.

is there any reason to get the DS218play over the DS218+? apparently the play has an ARM plus a hardware encoder that allows it to transcode 4k @60fps while the Plus is x86 but can only transcode 4k @30fps. with only $20 between the two, the plus seems like the more powerful unit, as how often am i gonna need to transcode 4k@60fps?

Vinyl wrap it!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

ChiralCondensate posted:

He's (successfully) trolling the poo poo out of us.

I've been saying that silently in my head for weeks. It's a successful troll, considering the number of responses and vitriol they've managed to accumulate.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Heners_UK posted:

The backup drive is part of our RAID array. Why would we even worry about including a tape drive in a striped array alongside our SSDs?!

Where can I find a floppy interface expander? I've got an idea...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Solar for me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Eletriarnation posted:

Speaking of that, it's live right now.

Thanks for the heads-up. I picked up 2 for a new server.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

Thanks guys, posted in the home automation and security thread.

Will check out Amcrest too.

I'll respond in the other thread, but you've got a bunch of conflicting requirements.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Shuck or pay double for bare WDs. The 10TB were on sale recently.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Or add kapton on the 3.3v pin. Or use Molex-> sata converter cables

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
2.5" drives get double-sided tape, no need for a formal bracket unless it's a laptop or mobile workstation.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Or an 1817 with a $25 connectX card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

D. Ebdrup posted:

code:
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   100   100   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  2 Throughput_Performance  0x0026   055   054   000    Old_age   Always       -       18317
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0023   081   061   025    Pre-fail  Always       -       5767
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       153
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   252   252   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   252   252   051    Old_age   Always       -       0
  8 Seek_Time_Performance   0x0024   252   252   015    Old_age   Offline      -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       71391
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   252   252   051    Old_age   Always       -       0
 11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   252   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       150
181 Program_Fail_Cnt_Total  0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       11126
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       12
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0022   252   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   064   060   000    Old_age   Always       -       28 (Min/Max 14/40)
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x003a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   252   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   252   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   252   252   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0036   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x002a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       62
223 Load_Retry_Count        0x0032   252   252   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
225 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       6202
:smugbert:

I wish I had the reports from the Synology that I build for my old job. Those drives had something like 95k hours when we finally retired the unit. IIRC, they were 1GB WD Greens.
I've got a D-link DNS-323 that's been running non-stop for 10 years, but no way to run SMART diagnostics on the drives (Samsung 1TB EcoGreen F1's). I'd bet they're at nearly 90k.