Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
For that VM load? Something with some actual processing power: e3-xxxx V2 or newer, 64gb+ of ECC, and probably some SSDs for the VM's unless they're just running little stuff. List what you're running, and people can weigh in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Boner Wad posted:

VM wise not much, just usual homelab stuff. Unifi, elasticsearch cluster, kibana, dns/dhcp, log collector, vcenter, docker container, homeassisstant, plex, torrent/nzb grabbing stuff.

You should just run most of those in docker (or so I'm told). My Unifi runs in a jail, as does Plex, Transmission, and at one time, CrashPlan.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Unoriginality posted:

Putting together a FreeNAS box has been on my to do list for longer than it should have been. My current plan is to slap a 3600 (or possibly a 3700x, but probably not) into an X470D4U, shove 32gb of ECC off ASRack's memory QVL in (probably two sticks of https://www.newegg.com/p/0ZK-01M8-00384), and hope the TrueNAS 12 Beta "improved AMD Ryzen support" means it's not a terrible idea. This thread over on IXSystems makes it seem like it's maybe not the best idea, but probably not a terrible idea. I didn't see anything about the M2 ports on the X470D4U being mutually exclusive with any of the SATA ports, so I'll probably stick a little $20 128GB SATA SSD in, and save the SATADOM port for another shucked drive. Maybe waste another $20 and mirror the root drive.

It will mostly just be a home NAS. In the future it may be asked to transcode things or it may store a few weeks of rolling security camera footage,

There's a part of me that thinks I should put more RAM in even though it will probably never have more than a few concurrent users. Anything obviously wrong/dumb with all this?

It's your money, but for that workload you could get away with a lot less CPU and I don't think Ryzen is the right move right now when it comes to a NAS. I just built a new desktop and that sure as poo poo got a Ryzen (3700X), but I'd stick with Intel for a NAS. More RAM is always better for ZFS, so no disagreement there.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Ryzen is perfect for this, more cores and IO for less than a comparable Intel. What issues did yours have?

If they want to go Ryzen, then a Ryzen 5 2600 or 3600 would be plenty sufficient for the workload. I had no direct experience, just saw lots of complaints on the FreeNAS forums, but it looks like most of that was Zen1 issues. If they're doing CPU Plex transcoding, I think Intel is still better for that. I'd rather buy a $200 barebones Intel E3-V3+ server and build from there rather than piecing together something from new and $$ parts. That Asrock Rack motherboard is $230-$270, DDR4 ECC UDIMMs aren't cheap at $100/16GB, and a 3700x is $280. That'd buy a pretty decent tower server, and that's before the cost of a case, power supply, etc. I don't see the need to blow a bunch of money on cores and IO that won't be used or needed.

I dunno... I love my Ryzen desktop. I know the ECC issues have been worked out on the server boards that support it, but there could be other issues out there, and there isn't much community support for it yet.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

DrDork posted:

Or you can get real lucky like I did and snag a E5-1650v3 + 112GB ECC RAM + mobo + case + psu for $350. Some stuff is amazingly cheap if you're willing to do a little leg work and are willing to buy things that aren't the most common models.

Care to share the model you found? I've scored a few nice parts from non-standard naming schemes or branded appliances.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

DrDork posted:

The HP Z440. Upside was they tend to run cheaper than some of the Dell models or anything SuperMicro based. Downside is they use Intel AMI instead of IPMI, so it's not as full-featured there (to the point I never really got it working, but I threw ESXi on there and that's been fine for controlling everything after the initial installation), and the motherboards use HP specific weirdo power cabling, forcing me to buy a $30 adapter so I could swap it into a normal case and use a normal PSU. The default case and PSU were ok, they just had very limited HDD slots (4? And much like with any other workstation, they need model-specific sleds because :10bux:).

The E5-1650 series in general also tends to run cheaper than other Xeons, possibly because it was more workstation centric than "big server" centric. It's got fewer cores but higher clocks than some of the price-comparable chips, which actually ends up being a good thing for most home-NAS setups where you want one or two things to get done fast, rather than have 6 or 7 things all churning at the same time and not really caring much about when a given one finishes.

Cool. The HP Z-series have been on my watchlist for a while. I've got a bunch of HP stuff. The custom HDD/SSD mounting screws for the EliteDesks are a huge pain in the rear end, but I've printed a few that work OK. Their power supply plugs are a huge PITA. I don't understand why they can't just stick to ATX.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 7, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Parts came in to build a new cable. I just ordered a handful of each of the 2 molex connectors and a bunch of pins and 22awg wire.

Once it was done I installed the power conversion module thanks to SharkyTM's helpful photo, tested that I had the right voltage in the right places, hooked it all up and started installing hard drives.

Only to find that I'm short like 5 tray screws :negative:

oh well... guess it's going to have to wait for another day.

Awesome. Congrats. Did you have a Minifit Jr crimper, or just use pliers?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

SamDabbers posted:

It's almost certainly the 3.3v power disable pin. I also have a TS440 and had to tape the pin on my shucked 8TB drives to get them to spin up.

Same here. A tiny strip of kapton and they were good to go. I actually had to tape a pin on my HBA too. Stupid Dell H310: http://yannickdekoeijer.blogspot.com/2012/04/modding-dell-perc-6-sas-raidcontroller.html?m=1

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Both QNAP and Synology are solid. Pick the features you need, and choose the one that fits best.

Or join the insanity and build your own! I started with a D-Link DNS-323 with 2x 1TB drives, and now I've got two Lenovo towers with 8 drives apiece. 115TB or so. Still got the D-Link, though.

Premade is much simpler, the support is pretty good.

DIY can be super complicated. It certainly has a higher aggravation/mental cost to get going, but the capabilities are way higher. Do you need that higher capability? No one but you can know.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 21, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Not sure if anyone else can verify, but this post makes me think QNAP: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/iec7lb/if_you_value_your_data_and_sanity_dont_buy_qnap

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Devian666 posted:

QES is only used on their high end models. You know, where security is important. The home and small business models don't seem to have the same issues.
Oh good. That sure makes me want to support them in that case. Hard coded root passwords are a sign of a great company. My mistake. What a poo poo show.

/S if it's not obvious.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think you accidentally a word because holy gently caress that sounds painful at best, and loving lol at hard coded root passwords.

:lol: yeah, missed a word or thought.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You know, it used to be that I wouldn't ever touch a Seagate drive, having had a number of them die in very short order, circa.... I want to say, 2005ish. I used almost exclusive Maxtors, and then WDs when Maxtor got bought out, but now? Man, WD is starting to give me a reason to reconsider the Seagate fatwa.

They know they've got the market cornered, so they're just loving everyone over and thinking it won't cost them market-share. Short-term gains over long-term brand loyalty, I guess.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

cr0y posted:

Oh man I forgot about Maxtor. poo poo used to be my jam.

Remember Connor? I do.
Quantum? I think I have a BigFoot around somewhere, one of the BIG ones... I think the capacity was like 4.2GB.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Brain Issues posted:

I've shucked 7 of these so far and all of them have worked in my Synology without any modifications needed.
I'm at 24 shucked. Built 2x 8-drive Synology NAS', plus an 8-drive array for my shop FreeNAS install. No issues at all with any of them, other than needing tape on the pins in the FreeNAS box. That's a screaming deal, and if I didn't have all 10TB drives, I'd be buying.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Ika posted:

^^^^ Don't the shells have the drive SN printed on them?

They do. I go a step farther and put the last 4 of the SN on the drive cage.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Pardot posted:

Do you not have to worry about the bad drive tech with the easy stores?

Only the small ones. Sub-8TB, iirc.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
If you move to incremental, you'll need every incremental between the last full and the date you want to restore. For differential, you only need the latest full and the differential from the date you want to restore. Incremental is smaller daily files, but you need ALL of them intact for a restore. For differential, you just need the one diff-file and the full.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Nulldevice posted:

I don't know much about 4k TV, just movies honestly. Your CPUs probably would benefit from a dedicated GPU for the transcoding as they only have 12 dedicated cores and 24 threads and are rather dated. This will free up your processors to other tasks like VMs, containers, disk operations, etc. Just gotta pass the GPU through to the plex container. Spaceinvaderone has stuff on youtube that likely explains how to do this. Check ebay for a new PSU for your workstations, probably the easiest way to source one, just find one with a good return policy in case it doesn't turn out to be the problem and it's something else.

Good luck!

Could also be RAM... maybe try running a Prime95 or Memtest86 run to see if it insta-reboots.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Wild EEPROM posted:

Re 2.5” hddchat:

Look up the seagate rosewood if you wanna see some real fun. It has a load bearing drywall sticker.

Those drives are such pieces of poo poo. Seagate really is the second/bottom tier in drives.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

freeasinbeer posted:

few influential posters on the freenas forums who were assholes about it, because it’s something they ran at work. However I don’t think anyone of them were zfs devs, so it came across as BOFH FUD.

I see you've read anything that CyberJock has EVER posted. Good god he's annoying and pedantic. He knows what he's doing, but if you don't set things up the way HE insists, he'll just blame that for the problem.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

VostokProgram posted:

What's wrong with their cameras?

They're massively overpriced, and locked down. There's also the issue of them randomly dropping support for stuff. Cameras shouldn't be like that. Once you go with unifi protect, you're locked into their ecosystem. The unifi cameras don't offer the same features as better brands.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

SCheeseman posted:

What other brands in the same price range are usable or provide all their features without the need for usage of cloud services? Not rhetorical I actually want to know this.

Dahua. I run many of their cameras. Great sensors, adequate firmware, great prices. They never see the internet, but I wouldn't let unifi cameras see the internet either. VLAN them onto their own network, and Blue Iris handles the triggering and recording.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Hikvision is unbeatable in terms of hardware, but they are heavily subsidized by the Chinese government, and their firmware is an absolute black box, with a bootloader that's got more obscured spaghetti code in it than there is actual spaghetti in the entire Asian continent. Security types and crazy people like me view that with a great deal of suspicion.

I would disagree. Dahua and Hik are comparable on features and hardware. There's a huge community on ipcamtalk, and Dahua has more users and a vendor who provides support for the cameras. English firmware updates are a big one. I've bought over 3 dozen cameras from Andy and never had a problem with the hardware or his service. I wouldn't trust any of the cameras other than maybe Axis with internet access. That's not crazy, that's how you avoid being hacked or part of a botnet.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 20, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Constellation I posted:

Obligatory gently caress ipcamtalk and gently caress fenderman. Do NOT go to that website.

Chill. He's an rear end in a top hat, but the site has plenty of solid info. Kinda like here and Lowtax until recently.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm pretty confident that my post history in this thread includes a youtube video of someone presenting ways to automate data destruction in the datacenter with remote triggers, by testing out electromagnetic, explosives, and other methods.
DEFCON 19. Shane Lawson and Deviant Ollam: https://youtu.be/1M73USsXHdc
DEFCON 23. ZoZ and crew: https://youtu.be/-bpX8YvNg6Y

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

I have three old disks I want to combine to replace three even older disks I have RAIDed together in a seedbox. Currently I use mdadm to combine them into a RAID0 and then have a btrfs filesystem on top.

Ideally however, I want something closer to a JBOD, without striping, so if data isn't accessed all the disks don't spin up and waste power. If a disk is lost, I'd rather it just took out 1/3rd of the data (it's all replaceable, easily).

Should I just make another mdadm RAID0 with btrfs on top? Use btrfs's in-build RAID instead? Something else?

The power used by two discs shouldn't be a concern. My NAS never spins the drives down, and it costs me ~$25 per YEAR to keep 8 drives spinning.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Capn Beeb posted:

What are safe/ideal temps for hard drives? I've got a couple of platter drives stacked in a new case and they're running a bit warmer than they used to be.

Toshiba DT10ACA300 95F
Samsung HD103SJ 88F

I've always been paranoid about heat so this is probably nothing to worry about but lol worry brain

95F? Nothing to worry about. I start to worry at 50C.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

codo27 posted:

This is so fuckin weird. Gf gave me one of those amazon no name dealie dashcams for christmas. I never bothered to check any footage until last month when I seen a moose on the way to work. The thing was set up to auto overwrite once the card filled, but it had stopped recording about 2 weeks prior. Deleted everything off the card, reinserted it. Few days later, caught a crazy guy flying through a parking lot and almost caused an accident. Went to view the footage...the same videos I deleted before were there. Put it in the camera and use the format function this time.

Another moose this morning, two actually. Put in the card to view footage. Same videos are still magically there from late March. Cant format through windows, cant repair disk. Most of the videos remain playable except the last one, which I guess is where the issue is. I can delete it fine and it will just come back. Windows even reports the card is empty when I delete it all, but its not really deleted. Write protect thing isn't slid over on the card adapter. I guess the card is just hosed?

SD Cards are pretty lovely. Card's probably hosed. Is it a High-Endurance card? I had much better luck once I switched to those.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

codo27 posted:

I'm pretty sure I bought both in store, walmart or best buy or whatever, I dunno if thats prevalent in places like that but yeah I'm super weary of buying online

Wary. But also weary.

Buy a SanDisk or Samsung high endurance card for the dashcam, 128gb is a good size. I burned out several regular cards in my dashcams before high endurance card were common. Throw that one into the microwave and then out. Test the new cards with h2testw.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
What?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Ika posted:

Came here to bitch about mybook prices due to crypto - now feeling cheered up!

Glad to amuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

If I never see that guys face again, I'll be a happy man

Or hear his voice.