Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Tomorrow I'll be attempting to set up an unRaid fileserver with 3 640gb drives (WD6400AAKS). The unRaid wiki lists the AAKS drives in both the "recommended hardware" section, as well as the "incompatible hardware" section, so we'll see how that goes. The fun part is going to be finding somewhere to stash my 640gb worth of crap on my existing drive (the other 2 are in the mail) while I test the array out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Kreez posted:

Tomorrow I'll be attempting to set up an unRaid fileserver with 3 640gb drives (WD6400AAKS). The unRaid wiki lists the AAKS drives in both the "recommended hardware" section, as well as the "incompatible hardware" section, so we'll see how that goes. The fun part is going to be finding somewhere to stash my 640gb worth of crap on my existing drive (the other 2 are in the mail) while I test the array out.

Update: The old piece of poo poo motherboard I was going to use can't boot from a USB flash drive (though it can boot from a USB optical drive :confused: ). I solved this by ordering one of these:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121359&Tpk=BOXD945GCLF2
I've wanted one of those to play with for awhile now, and this is a great excuse to buy one! I had to buy a PCI SATA controller as well (Promise TX4) since the board only has 2 SATA ports.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 4, 2009

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I've been happily using UnRaid on an old Atom 330 for 7-8 years now. It serves videos to my XMBC box (running on much newer hardware in a NUC) over a wired LAN, and runs Deluge through the UnRAID "docker" feature, seeding 300 or so torrents right now.

I recently updated my XBMC to the latest version so I could use the MLB.tv add-on, and since then I've been having what seem to be network issues. Videos will just randomly stop playing, usually just closing instantly, sometimes freezing XBMC for 30 seconds before closing to the menu. I used to get videos stopping and buffering, but this somewhat went away when I increased the cache in XBMC.

All these issues go away if I disable Deluge.

Is it possible that the old Atom just can't keep up with both torrenting and serving HD video at the same time? I'd love for the solution to be to throw new hardware at it, but I don't want to do that if it is more likely some bug in xbmc, unraid's docker feature, or something.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Krailor posted:

If the data Deluge is reading/writing is on the same drive as the video you're trying to watch it could be that your system is having a hard time keeping up with all of the I/O requests to that drive which is preventing Kodi (you're actually using Kodi, right?) from being able to stream the video fast enough to show.

Or it could be a sign that the storage ports on your MB are failing and the SATA interface is being reset in the background causing the current connections to be closed.

Skandranon posted:

I'm surprised an Atom from 7 years ago has been able to run Unraid. It's probably not so much Deluge that is taxing it, but the parity calculations Unraid has to do to write to disk. You could test this by having Deluge off, and copying a lot of data onto your Unraid array, and then see if you see the same issues. You could even do the copies internally from one drive to another to rule out network usage.

I remembered I have an old motherboard + Q9300 + 4GB lying around, so I swapped the parts in. No issues all night streaming video with docker enabled. Looks like it just needed more hardware than an old Atom system.

Any recommendation on hardware to replace this space heater with at some point? Minimum 6 SATA ports, and at least as much power as a Q9300 I guess?

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

The second onboard NIC on my Unraid file server just died (first one died 2 years ago), and I'm going to use this as a good reason to stop just using random old terribly inefficient hardware in my fileserver. I've been researching proper server-grade (if only the value lines) hardware for the first time, and wondering how much power I need.

I need to serve files (6 storage drives and a cache drive), and run Deluge for both downloading and seeding several hundred torrents.

My current setup is fine as a file server, but bogs right down if Deluge is doing much of anything. I generally can't even access the configuration page if Deluge is downloading at above 10MB/s, let alone watch any video stored on the server.

I like the idea of the SoC Atom (Aterton? Denverton?) boards from Supermicro or ASRock, though I'm not sure if they are powerful enough for my needs as all the reviews and benchmarks seem to focus on ability to run VMs.

Or should I move up to an entry level Supermicro X9/X10/X11 board and throw an i3 in there?

I just want to be able to pull super high bitrate video off the server, potentially while maxing out my 150mbit internet connection downloading/uploading stuff, without worrying about stuff stuttering and timing out.

Thoughts?

Kreez fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 22, 2017

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Whatever the onboard controller is for an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard from 2006. Pretty much been running 24/7 for 11 years. At least I assume it's the NIC, I've got a cheapo PCI card coming tonight from Amazon to get me back up and running temporarily, hopefully it's not something else...

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I've been running my NAS with an old Q9300 and 8GB of DDR2 for years now. It's getting a little too toasty in the only acceptable place to put this machine in my new place (a closet). It's been drawing 90W or so averaged over the last couple weeks, which is apparently enough to get my closet up towards 40C

Have we progressed enough that I can buy a CPU/Mobo/RAM that is just as fast and noticeably less power hungry at idle for next to nothing?

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

The brand new low power stuff looks awesome, I've been following the Atom based Supermicro/Asrock server boards, but anything newish just isn't worth it to me right now. Power costs next to nothing here, and I can manage the heat by manually turning the thing off and on as needed. It's annoying, but not $300-$500 annoying.

I'll look in to dropping in a 2 core replacement, I can't imagine I'm making much use of the 4 cores, it never occurred to me that the extra cores used extra power.

I bought this system for $20 or so 4 years ago. Shame $20 doesn't really get you any farther these days.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I finally got sick of troubleshooting my 12 year old Core 2 based home file server and upgraded to actual (entry level) server hardware. Bought a Supermicro X11SSM-F board, a cheap Pentium, and 16GB. So much nicer to work with, no more SAS add on cards and expanders, and IPMI is amazing. Do recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

ughhhh posted:

So i currently have a i5-4590, z97 mobo, 4gbx2 ram and a couple of 2tb 3.5 hdds laying around after having upgraded my old computer. Would this be a good base to start a plex/torrent/media box? Would it be worth it to use this to make one or should i just sell it?

It's more than enough. I was running a plex/torrent box on a Q9300 (seems to get half the Passmark score of your 4590) until 2 weeks ago, and only upgraded because the motherboard died, the performance was fine.