Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brains
May 12, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

I have recently set up a small personal Pi 4 webserver and I'm looking at storage options. It will run 24/7 but under very little load, so it's gonna be NAS HDDs, but for the moment I won't mind if it goes down for a day or so, so I'll skip RAID and just set up rsync backups.

The Pi can power an external USB HDD but not two, so I will need either a 2-disk bay or two enclosures. The bay would be MUCH nicer in terms of cable management and convenience, and the built-in clone button could come in handy, but I'm worried about it being a single point of failure.

More specifically, I don't care if it dies and the server goes down for a while, but I'm worried it could potentially somehow brick both hard disks at the same time. Is that a valid concern at all?

So I ran a similar setup for a couple years, using a pi 3b and a pair of external USB hdds on a powered hub and set up samba for network access. Honestly, the point of failure here is the pi itself, unfortunately. The filesystem is very sensitive to corruption from unscheduled power interruptions. After the first few times my various high-quality SD cards died, I moved to booting off a USB thumb drive and that gave me the longest period of stability, but even it eventually corrupted and died too. With a webserver or any 24/7 program that writes continuously (think logs), you run a real risk of filesystem corruption if the power supply varies even a little.

That said, every time the pi died, the data on my HDDs was completely fine, so it really wasn't much impact overall. Get everything set up and then image your SD card so you can just clone it when the install corrupts and get back up and running quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Couldn't you run a usb power bank as a ups to the pi? That would be cheap and easy. That said, I don't know how common it is for power banks to allow constant charging/discharging

the problem is the switchover logic/circuit; it's non-existent in the powerbank because that's not what they are designed for, and even a slight undervoltage during a power loss is what causes the problems with corruption. like others have said, you can do it, you just can't assume unattended stability like you would for a dedicated NAS or server, because at some point or another the power will dip or shut off and the pi won't boot back up.

brains
May 12, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've got a question that's tangential to NAS. It's not about it directly, but I have a feeling there's going to be overlap between what I want to know and the people posting here.

I have a media PC set up in my living room. It's a full W10 environment, just like at your normal computer. I've got a full wireless mouse and keyboard out there, but I don't use them often because they're unwieldly. Mostly I use one of those all-in-one keyboard things like this (but not this exact model):

It mostly sucks. The track pad is disappointing and the m1/m2 buttons are really poorly located. I'd like to replace it with something much more reliable and accurate. In an ideal world, the mouse control and m1/m2 would be operable at the same time, so that I can hold my kid in one hand and start a video with the other.

Do you guys have any suggestions on all-in-one keyboards for your media PCs?

i have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XGKZMKF

works decently on a raspberry pi in a similar setup. it's small and thin so i just tuck it away on a shelf when i don't need it.

brains
May 12, 2004

ouroboros or watchtower will handle everything for updating containers automatically.

just remember to declare specific image tags for containers if you need stability (i.e. not :latest) or ignore if you use ouroboros.

brains
May 12, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Do you just stalk me around every single thread to vaguely insult me?

turn on your monitor ?

brains
May 12, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

Has anyone tried running a pi-hole docker container on a Synology NAS? That a good experience?

i do, and it's very stable. docker-compose and ouroboros/watchtower keep it going. i have it assigned to a macvlan, point the dhcp server to it, and intercept hardcoded dns queries with the firewall. pihole itself is pointed to firewall to use unbound. works great.

brains
May 12, 2004

i just plan on being crypto lockered as my data-at-rest solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

tuyop posted:

What do I add to my yml file to have that container use the bridge network?

the default bridge in docker has some quirks so it is recommended to just define your own:

define a bridge network first and verify it exists:
YAML code:
docker network create [name]
docker network ls
in docker compose, define the networks:
YAML code:
networks:
  [name]:
    external: true
and in each container you want to attach to the new bridge, just add it in:
YAML code:
services: