Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seconding Synology - they are very nice little boxes for the sort of usage you'd put on them at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think any Windows can run off a USB stick because it resets the USB ports as it boots, or something like that. You could run ESXi off a USB stick but that's probably a bit overkill.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Am I missing something in FreeNAS? I'm using 9.1.1 as a stop-gap until a Synology box arrives, with one volume and a simple CIFS share. Any new folders I create have read permissions granted to the Everyone group, whether I do the creating on the Windows client or in a command line on the box itself. Even if I remove all mention of Everyone from a folders permissions and disable inheritance, anything I created in that folder has read access granted to Everyone.

The root of the volume has read attributes and permissions enabled for Everyone, applied to the single folder only. The new folder permissions are showing as inheriting their permissions from nowhere, it just seems somewhere in FreeNAS the Everyone group is set to see everything. Guest access is turned off, volume permissions are 750 with the owner user as root and owner group as wheel.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 16, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Robocopy and a scheduled task will keep two folders in sync, no need to make it more complicated than that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

True, you could get creative with rotating the target folder based on the day of the week so you always have the previous days file but something like File History is a lot less hassle.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Synology stuff goes j, nothing, + in terms of stuff like CPU, RAM etc.

Last generation's + is roughly this generations no-suffix.

They've started doing se models now to gently caress that scheme up though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The WD My Cloud range are meant to be not poo poo any more.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I read a review online somewhere that said you can share folders with people just by sending them a code to type into their app, so you can make a photos folder and send gramps the code to tap into the iPad and it sorts the rest out, no loving around with user accounts.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There should be a Backup and Restore option in the Control Panel. You can create rsync jobs in that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think it's a form factor they've made up:

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C224D4I-14S

It's a fair bit wider than Mini ITX

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don Lapre posted:

Its longer than ITX, doesnt seem wider

Well, that depends what way up it is. I think it's at least a 'slot' bigger than the space a dual slot ITX board would use up if such a thing existed. It would probably fit in that case though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess you can take something out the middle without taking everything else out of position but I don't get it either. Lack tables are cheap poo poo and any screws you put into them are going to pull straight out with any sort of loading. Proper racks get thrown out all the time, just keep an eye on Craigslist/Gumtree/eBay etc.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you not do it backwards and have the UPS connected to the server and the server handling the network part of things, so your PC is just a client?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fangs404 posted:

I could do that, but since my UPS isn't an APC, the NAS would use a different driver, and I'd be back to square one. Unless I'm misunderstanding you....

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/UPS

http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html

If your UPS is on that list shouldn't it work with minimal fuckery? Then you just need a Windows NUT client to handle shutting your desktop down.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't see a need for a spinning disk in a desktop / laptop at all. For home use you have stuff like the WD Mybook or a NAS if you're a bit nerdier, and enterprise hasn't been storing anything locally for a while (ideally). Spinning disks will be around as long as they are cheaper per GB than flash with acceptable performance, but hidden away in a datacentre.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 16, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Reboot is on the fake Start menu thing in DSM

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does your BIOS let you choose what it emulates USB disks as?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maybe it says you will lose all the data on the non-failed disks because one of the disks that you lose might be the one that has all the information about your 'array'? I'd assume you can still connect the disk up to another machine and pull the data out of it, if it's not just fragments of files.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's a working Xserve then shift it on eBay. People pay stupid money for them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The problem you face is if you swap the fans out for slower ones then the management systems of the server will see that and either not power it up or beep at you constantly. There is really nothing you can do to make a 1U box quiet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, each horizontal group is a volume.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you don't actually want to share your library then you can just relocate your library onto the NAS. At which point it works exactly like iTunes on your local storage would, just a little bit slower.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have a bunch of PC hardware kicking around then you owe it to yourself to at least try Xpenology on it - if it works then you've saved some cash, if you hate it then you haven't bought a Synology NAS that you don't like.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Because I pay Backblaze $50 a year and only have 80GB of stuff on there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes to everything above. You can use an attached USB drive as a backup target if you want, and you browse it through a web-based file browser in the NAS UI.

For offsite backup I have an AWS account and use the Synology Glacier app to backup to Amazon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Flipperwaldt posted:

Or is it their servers getting hammered?

That one. Took a few tries to get mine going.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Any reason why you would RAID1 a two-bay NAS rather than setting one volume as the data and the other one taking the backups of that volume?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Qnap vs Synology pretty much comes down to preference. I've had no experience with Qnap, but every time I've needed support from Synology they have been very helpful, even going as far as connecting to our VPN to SSH into one of their boxes to set up out SNMP UPS before it was officially supported in the firmware. I can't recommend them enough.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They are both fairly low powered single-core boxes, but will be more than fine as a NAS as long as you aren't planning on doing a load of video transcoding on them. If you are planning to use it for something more advanced than plain NAS then the prices for beefier hardware get very high very quickly so you're almost better off rolling your own Xpenology box at that point.

Qnap vs. Synology is personal preference a lot of the time - I've only ever used Synology and have been very happy with the product and their tech support, so haven't had a reason to look elsewhere.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just ordered an ES550VA because I'd been looking at them for a while, and it was only £60.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you added a shared folder? Your path will end up looking like \\NAS\share

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MMD3 posted:

no, haven't added any yet... this is my first time using a NAS as opposed to a DAS, I guess I was just trying to figure out a way to share \\NAS\ (in this case \\DiskStation\.

So I should create a folder, name it anything, and then share it?

Don't touch the file system at all, just create a new shared folder and it will go into /volume1/ by itself. You can't use the root of a device to dump stuff in, there has to be a share setup on the device itself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MMD3 posted:

well I'd be totally alright with it showing up as a computer like that, I'm just not sure what I missed in configuration to get it to show up like that.

Have you turned on Windows file sharing?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Never get a single-bay NAS, the savings over a two just aren't worth it.

You sound like a candidate for the Synology DS214play which I believe is Synology's only NAS with the H.264 hardware built in so it can transcode on the fly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's just you using Google Drive then use the Google Drive app package thing, point it at a share and then use that to store your stuff in, then remove the Google Drive application from your PC.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm happy with Synology at the moment, though they do seem to be releasing tons of software updates lately. I've no idea if this is to fix problems they've caused, and at least a couple of them have been Shellshock / Bash vuln fixes, so just bear in mind that they aren't a great option if you need uptime. The trade off is that they do a shitload.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Synology boxes have the capability of doing folder sync and a Dropbox-like feature for PCs. Be careful treating a folder sync like a backup though, it won't protect you against people overwriting stuff unless you're really quick and act as soon as it happens.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Plex transcodes. Normal DLNA playback would require your TV or whatever to support all the formats you are trying to play with it.

The "play" variants of the Synology boxes have hardware transcoding, I have no idea if Plex can take advantage of this though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

j is the poo poo-tier version, Play has hardware that can transcode on the fly for DLNA clients.

The numbers are the amount of drives they can take and the production year - DS212 is a two-bay model from 2012. A DS1513 is a 2013 model that can hold up to 15 disks (via two expansion units). Essentially the higher the number the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In the minimal amount of research I did I found that a previous year's standard model was roughly equivalent to the current year's j version as far as transfer speeds go.

The throughput figures that Synology publish are pretty accurate, so just go with whatever you're comfortable with. If you're planning on running lots of extra apps on the thing like the various newsgroup processing things then you'll probably want one of the beefier units.