Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

Pzykotic posted:

God loving dammit.

I bought the D-Link DNS-343 and was very impressed with its interface and list of features, and I was looking forward to putting in the 4x1.5TB drives I bought.

BUT ALAS:

Little did I (or most of the internet) know, the DNS-343 is mostly incompatible with those drives, despite saying on the box "Works with any capacity SATA drive!". It will format them individually and share them as separate drives (real useful), but it is incapable of any sort of RAID - it goes through the formatting and then says it was successful, but only shows 90 GB of space available when it should be more like 4.5 TB.

There's a thread on D-Link's forum and they've promised compatibility in an upcoming firmware update, but that post was from October 14th and nothing has come out yet. I hope I don't have to wait long, because right now this thing is absolutely useless to me.

Boo D-Link.

I thought we had a thread about the Seagate 1.5TB drives that had problems that could be fixed with a firmware flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

I've been thinking about getting a ReadyNAS lately, mostly because of X-RAID and Linux. Does anyone know what distro it runs? I'd really like the convenience of a package manager, and I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to throw my favorite distro on it and expect X-RAID to work.

Stonefish posted:

What the poo poo is the difference between 1.0 and 1.5 anyway? I'm not aware of any "line" they'd have to cross there like the old 2GB or 127GB ones.

I don't think it's the capacity, just that something about the way these specific drives operate fucks up X-RAID.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

HERAK posted:

i'm slightly paranoid about drive failure what sort of warning would i get if one of the drives started to fail?

No better than the kind of warning you'd get if they were plugged into anything else. I've worked with plenty of expensive multi disk arrays and have never seen SMART predict a drive failure.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

I'm comparing RAID 1 NAS solutions and the ReadyNas Duo touts that it can use its special X-RAID technology expand its storage space by replacing one of the drives with a bigger drive, rebuilding the array onto it, and then doing the same with the other drive.

However, can't you do that with any RAID 1 solution?

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

Mr_D posted:

Nope, not really. You have to copy the data off, then rebuild the array from scratch.

The only RAID solutions that I know of that have the fancy expandability are the ReadyNAS line, unRAID, and Drobo. WHS has something similar, but I don't think it's really RAID.

Huh, I just figured it'd be like expanding a filesystem in a VM after you expand the virtual disk. Thanks for the tip.

Also doesn't ZFS only allow expandability of a pool, but not the individual components in the pool? i.e., you could add a raid-z set to a pool, but you can't add a disk to the raid-z set.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

Is there some secret to setting sharenfs and sharesmb properties for ZFS on OpenSolaris? At work I setup a Solaris box and had all of my nfs shares configured in minutes, but trying to do the same at home on OpenSolaris is giving me problems. I'll do something like this:

code:
pfexec zfs create -o sharenfs=rw=192.168.0.0/24 rpool/share
And then I'll get an auth error when I try to mount from a machine in that subnet. The nfs server logs are useless in helping to diagnose the issue. I've verified that the nfs server is running and that filesystem permissions are such that I should be able to read rpool/share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

alo posted:

Does it mount with just sharenfs=on? If so, you might just need to add an @ before the network you specified (as in sharenfs=rw=@192.168.0.0/24). I use host names, but I've seen it mentioned while figuring out nfs on OpenSolaris.

I'm a miserable failure of a person, I can't believe I forgot @.