Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

parsleyc posted:

This probably belongs in Coupons/Deals, but I think it may be more useful to post it here. Newegg's got the HP N54L microserver as a Shell Shocker today.

$229.99 after a $50 rebate. I've been keeping my eye on these and this seems to be the best price in a long while.

I am so sorry I missed this :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Whooping Toff posted:

http://www.box.co.uk/HP_%C2%A3100_Cash_Back-_HP_ProLiant_MicroServ_1341681.html seems to be what he's talking about. Thats an excelent price, I think i'll forgo my size requirement and get one of those.

Anyone purchased anything from box.co.uk before?

Edit: How many bays does it have and can it take 4TB drives? Hp's site has very little actual specs on it from what i can see. I'll try having a look at the US site instead

Why does that page say "Total Hard Drive Capacity:2 50 GB" :confused:

Also, will they ship to the USA :patriot:

e: oh, or does it ship with (1) 250GB HDD?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I recently bought a used D-Link 321 NAS, but I'm experiencing pretty slow transfer speeds. Transferring from a workstation (Debian) to the NAS, I'm getting a solid and steady 1.3MB/sec - at first I thought it was being limited by possible crappy WiFi (even though I knew this wasn't the case), but just to be sure I plugged in directly - but again, it reached 1.3MB/sec and stayed. What am I missing here?

I can get fine speeds over USB, or from computer to computer, so I thought this might be the best thread to ask in. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks! :cheers:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

kiwid posted:

This + 2x 2TB Reds + This.

I was looking at the Synology DS214+, over the DS213j - I'd like to buy it before the week is over? Any comments/suggestions? :)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

eightysixed posted:

I was looking at the Synology DS214+, over the DS213j - I'd like to buy it before the week is over? Any comments/suggestions? :)

I missed this part on Synology's website, but after seeing this, link, I think I'dd definitely go for the DS214+ :haw:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Except the ds214 is like $500.

:stare:

Holy poo poo, you're right. I could have sworn I had seen it somewhere over the weekend for $299. So then, clearly the DS213j is the recommended box in this thread?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Thanks to this thread, I finally got around to buying a Synology Diskstation DS213j - it's really nice. I didn't think the WebOS (or whatever its proper name is) would be both so complex and user-friendly. Thanks, thread! :cheers:

One quick question though. In the User's Manual under rsync, there is literally only one line -

quote:

Use rsync for Linux
You can use rsync to back up Linux data to Synology DiskStation

Obviously this means that Linux workstations can rsync their files to the DS, but my question is this: Can the DS 213j rsync its entire backups offsite somewhere? If so can it do it automatically ala cron jobs or something similiar? In either case, how? :smith:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

^^^^ That's what I'm thinking, but I honestly have no clue :psyduck:

Don Lapre posted:

Yes its under backup and restore

edit: also i highly recommend Xpenology. takes 5 minutes to setup and works exactly like a real syno unit.

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Thanks for this. I was derping pretty hard. I was searching for Backup and Restore in the Control Panel :saddowns: Also, curious about Xpenology. What makes it superior?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Is it possible, and if so how easy, and I suppose more importantly, how wise would be be to run Xpenology as a VM pulling from 6 1GB WD Greens (not in a RAID array of course, for the obvious reasons, but just as separate disks)?

And I guess just to ask a million and one questions here, why is there all of a sudden so much love for Xpenology vs. NAS4Free and all the others? I use a real Synology Disk Station at work, but is all that really necessary at home? Its just a bunch of single drives (WD Greens that I wont even likely JBOD). :confused:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 16, 2014

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I'm going to be rolling a new NAS this week, with no RAID array, just a few 3TB WD Greens running as independent disks. I've seen Xpenology mentioned a few times in this thread, but no real elabortion on it. We use a Synology unit at my office, and I really like the UI. Anyone care to elaborate on their experience with Xpenology, and possibly more specifically with running multiple single drives?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

After the little spike in Xpenology in this thread, I decided I wanted to give it a go. I have a true Synology DiskStation at work, and really like the UI. However, I've ran into a small problem when installing. I PM'd Don Lapre, who seems to be knowledgeable about Xpenology, but in an effort to keep my sanity, the quick I can fix this the better. I really have no idea what's up. So, quick question: When booting from USB, it keeps hanging at the following:

[sdu] Attached SCSI Disk

It will get that far every time and then just hang. A few lines up, it references sdu as the USB stick. I've now tried three (3) different flash drives and every time it hangs at this step in the install/loading process. What am I missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

edit: Should I just go with something more established like FreeNAS :smith:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 31, 2014

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Try one of the beta synoboots off the forum or the new gnoboot.

No dice, even on a different USB port :v: Different ports, different drives, different loaders. Maybe there is some sort of incompatibility with my Athlon or something? I don't really have time to wait for a new driver deployment though, unfortunately.

What's the best 'tried and true' NAS solution? I won't be using any RAID. Just single drives for the sole purpose of sharing media throughout my home. Suggestions?

I really wanted Xpenology to work :(

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Caged posted:

Does your BIOS let you choose what it emulates USB disks as?

USB-FDD
USB-ZIP
USB-CDROM
USB-HDD

I'm currently on USB-HDD, as I figured FDD was Floppy Disk Drive... or is it really Flash Disk Drive or something? :tviv:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Uh. Holy poo poo. All I had to do was hit Enter when the '[sdu] Attached SCSI disk' message hung. Literally nowhere does it say to do that.... :downs:

But now it wants "DiskStation Login". I thought admin/blank would work but its not.

:google: time.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 31, 2014

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Run synology assistant now on another pc to set it

NICE! How the hell was I supposed to know to hit "Enter" when it looked like it was hanging on a typical Linux bootup :argh:

Now in regards to Xpenology, I can't just take a 3TB drive that's already pretty full, and plug it in and go can I? It's going to want to format it, likely. I used a 160GB to run the OS. Am I going to have to install a blank 3TB and copy everything over from the first 3TB drive, or can I just insert the existing filled drive without fear of it erasing everything?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

That certainly isn't typical, i dont have to hit enter on mine.

For the other thing. Synology doesn't have an OS drive, Everything lives in your array. The usb drive is just for booting, the OS and apps and everything are in the array. So what you would do is boot off the usb drive with all the drives you want to use installed already in the system. Then when you run synology assistant for the first time it formats the drives and sets it all up. I mean you can do it the way you are doing, but thats not the intended method.

And yes, it will erase your drives.

Well that's certainly interesting. I have a bunch of WD Greens, ergo definitely not putting them in any type of array. I was hoping to use them as independent, standalone disks, even outside of JBOD. So how would an install work on disks that aren't part of an array? What would you recommend with these WD Greens then? :ohdear: Or is JBOD okay to use with different sized disks? This thread just rants about not using Greens in any sort of Array.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 31, 2014

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

You can just set them up as individual disks. Pick one to be the main drive if you want. The greens are fine as long as you use wdidle3 to make them stop head parking.

http://www.storagereview.com/how_to_stop_excessive_load_cycles_on_the_western_digital_2tb_caviar_green_wd20ears_with_wdidle3

Ah, fair enough :) Thanks for all of your help.

quote:

With the bootable device ready, start your system with the drive you want to modify connected. It is probably best to do this one drive at a time

That's a chore for 8 drives. Ugh. I guess I'll tackle that tomorrow :\

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Anyone who is familiar with Xpenology, quick question:

I'm going to roll an Xpenology unit this week (the rest of the hardware is going to be delivered tomorrow), with a bunch of WD Greens to be used as independent drives - no JBOD or anything, just completely different drives. I was told by Don Lapre that Xpenology is going to want to format each drive on original install which is all good and fine. However, I have a 3TB Green that is completely full. So my idea is to add a couple of 2TB Greens, and move the data over, but of course, after the fact I'd like to then insert said 3TB Green into the unit once the data is moved. Is adding additional drives to Xpenology as simple/plug-and-play as 'Add Drive -> It wants to format -> You format -> You now have X Amount of addition space' when using independent drives, and not have to worry about it erasing everything on the rest of the drive? :ohdear:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Put the two 2tb drives in. Set it up as an shr array. Copy the data from your 3tb over to the new array. After that When you put the 3tb in the system it will let you add it to the array and format it.
http://www.synology.com/en-global/support/tutorials/559

Okay, that's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure.

Ugh, I was planning on using all independent drives, but after reading around, you can only use Basic Independent Disks for one single drive, which kind of sucks.

I have three 1TB Greens, two 2TB Greens, and a 3TB Green. I was just going to throw them all in there independently, but now it seems like I can't. I was trying to stay away from any type of RAID setup due to the consensus that RAID'ing WD Greens is a bad idea. I was even going to stay away from JBOD, because I dont want one drive to go bad and then I love 10GB worth of crap because one old 1TB Green died. That would be terrible. I planned on using WDIDLE3 on the drives, but other than that, what would you guys recommend for so many Green drives? :ohdear:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

i dont understand what you are talking about you dont want to use JBOD. How is jbod any different then just throwing the drives in independently?

Sub Rosa posted:

I also don't understand why you think you would lose 10GB of crap instead of 1TB of crap when a 1TB drive dies if you aren't using any sort of redundency.

I guess I was misunderstanding something :saddowns:

I thought JBOD striped them into one logical drive with zero redundancy, so:

(3x 1TB) + (2x 2TB) + 3TB = 10TB total, spanned together in a non redundant array, whereby a single 1TB disk failure would degrade the whole array causing complete data loss to the full 10TB, as they're spanned to one logical array, but with zeo redundancy/fault tolerance. Where as if they were kept independent, and each drive only held its own capacity in its own Volume, if one 1TB drive died, I would only lose what's on that one single drive, as opposed to it killing the entire array. So, 7 Logical Volumes, as opposed to 1 with data spread through the array. At least thats how I thought it worked :(

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 5, 2014

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

You are thinking about spanning. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but no striping takes place in spanning so the data on the other disks would be fine or at least easily recoverable.

You didn't click the Synology link that I posted.

It is spanning:

code:
JBOD	More than 2	0	Sum of capacity of all drives	Spanning of data across multiple odd-sized disks

quote:

JBOD does not support any redundancy. Any lost of any disk will result in volume destruction

And that is why I wanted to use 7 independent Volumes (one per disk), as opposed to spanning them into one. If I lose 1TB, I want to lose only that terabyte that was on the drive. I can't lose 10TB of data because one 1TB Green kicked the bucket. But I guess it's a null point now, since apparently SHR is the way to go. Either way, JBOD is a bad idea.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Then why does literally everything say one disk failure results in complete data loss over the entire array? :confused: Think of it this way, hypothetically - I have three 2TB drives in JBOD, containing a large 5tb file. If one drive fails, my file is gone for good. This should work in the very same sense with a lot of smaller files, because they will be spanned over the entire array, not contained to there one physical volume, no?

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 5, 2014

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I am not really looking at building my own NAS, but I as curious, what solution is better for RSS+Torrent solutions. QNAP or Synology?

Honestly, if that's all you're going to use it for, Debian + rTorrent + ruTorrent, with Samba shares, imo

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

What's the quickest way to move 2TB worth of data from a single drive in a DNS-321 to an true NAS solution? I've never quite been sure exactly what's going on, but rsync goes at about 475KB/sec from the DNS, no idea why. FTP the same. Dragging and dropping goes at about 4MB/sec, but even then, its going to take like a week and a half. Why things are going slow when everything shows a gigabit connection, i have no idea. There has to be a way for me to move 2tb in a reasonable amount of time using this old school DNS-323, no? I think the speed bottleneck is the old DNS323 (but even then ~450KB/sec? :gonk: ), but I'd rather not go find a spare computer to throw this data drive in, and move it over. Any suggestions would be appreciated :unsmith:

Edit: terabytes, not gigs

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 16, 2014

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

What does SMART say?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Honestly, I'm almost to the point of rebuilding my home PC/upgrading and moving the old machine to a freenas/opennas setup.

This is exactly what I did, but I went with Xpenology :)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Independence posted:

I believe the drives you plug in are for dumping data from internal to external and vice versa..

This is correct. On Xpenology, anyway.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

MMD3 posted:

yeah, I suppose that's actually the cap for 100mbit eh... I'm an idiot.

You'll get great speeds if you plug it directly into the DiskStation.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Wow. How can I get this on my Xpenology rig?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Oh. I didn't think I would be able to use the official packages.synocommunity.com pkg, I thout it would be something directly related/supplied by the Xpenology community. Well that's easy enough. Awesome :)

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Xpenology units are effectively Synology units when it comes to software.

That's interesting. I'm suprised Synology isnt cracking down on them or something.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

FunOne posted:

Also, before we go down this road: Backup means versions and revisions. Dropbox and Google drive are not backup.

And an external harddrive sitting on your desk is also not an "offsite" backup solution before we go back down that road, too :v:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

dorkanoid posted:

I read somewhere that the USB stick has to be removed for the disks to spin down? That may have been for an earlier version though...

My disks definitely spin down while the USB flash drive is plugged in.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

Does Monoprice count?

Depends on which side of the argument you want to take :v:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Ika posted:

is there something I can use that's easier to mess with than rsync + batch scripting to keep a list of local folders and their backup destinations, with which I can mirror my local data to the NAS drive and have it partially available on my network?

Synology/Xpenology does exactly this.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Why are you doing any of that?

Just add the synocommunity repo to your packages list

http://www.synocommunity.com

What happened to this? :(

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

How does one power so many HDDs?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Is it as taxing on the drives to expand an array as it is to rebuild one from a failed drive?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

http://computers.woot.com/offers/hitachi-gst-deskstar-4tb-internal-sata-hd?ref=cnt_dly_img

I would love to throw a few of these in my NAS, but... Hitatchi :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Moey posted:

Heads up Synology folks. A cryptolocker variant is going after your poo poo.

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88716

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8128521

Late to the party here, but is this affecting Xpenology as well? Ive not looked in awhile, but I think I remember DSM 5 being a little on the unstable side for Xpenology. Thoughts?

In any event, im going to go ahead and update the office NAS.

edit: And if DSM 5 works fine on Xpenology, how does one go about upgrading? Im assuming you cant use the Built-In DSM Updater thing, as it would try to grab from Synology, right?

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 20, 2014