Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

technoarch
Feb 16, 2005
Architect Supremo
great thread!

I skimmed the pages thus far and did not notice this new release from HP... its run on a flavor of linux and looks to be a decent alternative to WHS.

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/572544-0-0-225-121.html

Any thoughts on this as a decent NAS solution? I was thinking of ripping the 500gb HD out and replaceing w/ two 1tb drives mirrored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

technoarch
Feb 16, 2005
Architect Supremo

tonelok posted:

It's apparently shipping tomorrow, according to Amazon, for $299.99 so reviews should pop up pretty fast (if they aren't already written).

I liked the Media Smart form factor (4x drives instead of the two of the Media Vault), but I'm gunshy about anything having to do with Windows Home Server.

Like King Nothing said, the DNS-323 is cheaper (unless you plan on using the 500GB drive somewhere else).

Since it runs on Linux, there should be people mucking around with it pretty quick, so we'll have an idea of what can be done with it.

The thought was to take the 500gb drive and toss it in a USB enclosure and direct connect it to the HP as a 3rd line of defense backup solution for critial files. The other backup solution involves offsite storage. Ive looked at the Dlink unit and that is still an option for me. Thanks for the input.