Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Anyone here ever used an Acer RevoCenter, specifically this one ? Thanks to a class action settlement thing involving eMachines, I was given the opportunity to get one of these brand new for $35 bucks. I was thinking of putting 3 x 3tb WD Greens in it, as the 2tb it comes with is apparently a Green. This thing would be replacing an ancient Dell 1ghz Pent. 3 :gonk: that I slapped a 320gb drive into about 7 years ago as my form of NAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

I need a PCIe controller card for a JBOD setup that has to have a minimum of 2 eSATA and 2 internal SATA ports. Poking around on newegg brings up a number of cards by Syba, StarTech, SIIG, Rosewill and Sedna for under $60, and some HighPoint cards $40-$100 and up. Of the brands listed, I've only ever heard of HighPoint before, in relation to RAID cards. So I guess what I'm asking is what are the good brands and what is trash ? I'm not inclined to go super cheap, but I want to avoid spending more than $115-$125.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

So what's the thread opinion of HGST brand drives ? I need as many TBs as I can get for $200-250ish, up to 4 physical drives. I found brand new 3TB HUS724030ALA640 (0F14689) @ $50 each on newegg, would get 4 of them.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you're looking at https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16822145894 - those aren't new drives. goHardDrive wipes the SMART data and provides their own warranty. To be fair, they're decent, I've bought some 8TB drives from them and the exchange on a few DOA drives was painless.

For that money, why four drives instead of two 8/10 TB drives, or a single 12TB if you aren't counting any redundancy in there?

Yeah those are the exact drives I was talking about. As to why 4 of these drives, cost is the hard limiter for me in this situation + the device they are going in has 4 bays. The cost of a pair of 8 or 10TBs exceeds budget, as does the cost of a single 12.

e2a: I hadn't really thought about shucking externals, I'll keep that in mind, I'm not in any hurry and Black Friday isn't that far off.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Any suggestions for a computer case that can hold a standard ATX mobo/psu along with six 3.5 SATA disk drives and potentially two 2.5 SSDs and is also not infested with blingy crap & overpriced?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

So what is the somewhat budget conscious SATA host card (or cards) to get for hooking up 8 x 3TB spinner drives in a Win10 PC ? I have never done a RAID setup before so IDK what RAID level/type to aim for. Usage would be a mix of holding backups from another PC + holding various videos/movies to play on another PC.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

I'm building a new computer and I wanted to consolidate JBOD 4 x 2GB WD Blacks onto 1 or 2 drives and was looking at the WD Blues. Did WD pretty much stop doing CMR for Blue drives ? Blue 4TB CMR (WD40EZRZ) is $100 on WDs site while the SMR version (WD40EZAZ) is $65. 8TB Blue (WD80EAZZ) is CMR for whatever reason and is $130 so I'd be getting a better deal just getting that instead of 2 x 4TBs IMO. I've never used a SMR drive so I have no idea how much of a performance difference SMR is over CMR.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Whats a good app for Windows to help me move/consolidate the contents of four individual disks onto one disk ? Need to move ~5TB data total off of some 2TBs onto an 8TB, all of which are WD Black drives.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

These are just a bunch of non-OS bearing NTFS disks with the various accumulated digital crap I have built up over the last how many ever years. I'm building a new box soon and am just wanting to consolidate 6 drives onto 2.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Is there a list or site out there that can quickly tell me what currently available external drives have a CMR type drive in them ? I have to replace an external used to hold backups so write speed is a priority. I vaguely recall seeing a site mentioned here that had to do with the $/gb of externals & shucking them but I cant remember the url.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

The Best Buy about a mile from my house has the WD 8TB My Book (WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN) for $160. I'd love to know what the significant differences are between the various Easystore, My Book, and Elements models beyond the different capacity ranges & external case appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

CopperHound posted:

Easystore is just the best buy version of elements.
My Book has hardware encryption on the usb controller, so don't assume you can read data off of the drive after shucking it. It will behave normally after formatting.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear (or mention it at all) I'm not interested in buying this to shuck it, I need to replace an external that gets used 6 days a week by a backup app that does disk images of some other disks I have. In the last day or 2 its been doing things (randomly disappearing from Windows, I/O errors) that make me think its dying. Already copied off everything on it to another drive.