Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

For the "prosumer"/IT guys here - Would you recommend building out a dedicated NAS or a beefy ESXi host and then a virtual NAS appliance in a home lab setting? I was kicking around the idea of building a freenas box, but then I thought, why not just build a monster ESXi host instead which gives me a lot more flexibility? The ESXi host might cost more upfront but I think the bells and whistles might make it worth while in the long run, thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am a vm admin by trade...so esxi just feels "right".

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Does anyone in here understand Amazon glaciers pricing model? I don't know if it's due to what I used to upload a particular 60gb file but when I restored it it appeared to initially come down as thousands of 16mb blocks which resulted in about $10 of charges due to how many GETs I submitted with my client. I know they recently simplified their pricing to be per GB retrieved plus like 5 cents per 1,000 requests but even using the slowest(and cheapest) retrieval method still resulted in a way more expensive retrieval than what I can figure out. Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I figure if anyone is using glacier it would be you goons.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can someone spot check what I have for an unRAID build? The purpose of this guy will be almost entirely to host media for my home theater PC, as well as backups for the other machines on my network. Uber-performance isn't the goal, but is obviously a perk. I think this gives me some expansion down the road for more ram, more CPU, and the ability to add an HBA/GPU(Plex)/10GB Networking down the road. I also plan to move my sabnzbd/hydra/sonarr/radarr stack to this via docker images

Board:
ASRock B450 PRO4 AM4 AMD Promontory B450 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-b450-pro4/p/N82E16813157841

CPU:
AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000031BOX
https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-3600/p/N82E16819113569

Memory (2x):
G.SKILL Aegis 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16S-8GIS
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232888

Cache:
WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS500G2B0B
https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-blue-500gb/p/N82E16820250091

Capacity (3x) (Already have one of these, will be shucking them):
WD Elements 10TB USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive Black WDBWLG0100HBK-NESN
https://www.newegg.com/black-wd-elements-10tb/p/N82E16822234350

PSU:
FSP Hydro GE 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified Full Modular ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply (HGE550M)
https://www.newegg.com/fsp-group-hydro-ge-hge550m-550w/p/1HU-0095-00071

Case:
The first generic black box that I can find that isnt loving covered in ARRRGEEBEEEZZ!!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

What's your transcoding goals for Plex - source resolution and number of users, specifically? Unless you're planning on transcoding from 4k for multiple users, you won't likely need a GPU. That Ryzen is not much less total CPU power than my server has (dual Xeon E5-2667 V2) and my server will happily do 10+ 1080p-source transcodes simultaneously.

A single 4k-sourced transcode makes it hurt, though.

edit: I would strongly consider more ram.

The only thing I have in 4k is some movies, and generally i'll have a duplicate lower quality version of the same movie for streaming. Kind of clunky, I'd like to be able to transcode 4k down to 1080p but right now it's not a huge issue. I figure I might throw a GPU in it down the road but it's not a priority at the moment. In terms of total concurrent users I am probably maxing out at less than 5. Thanks for the heads up on the ram, I'll up it to 32gb.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So I am waiting on parts for an uNRAID build that I will be putting together this week and am trying to think about how I want to do my 7TBish migration to it when it's complete, and then re-use the existing 10TB drive that the above 7TB lives on in the new unRAID pool. I have 2x10TB drives coming, and the (in use) 10TB that my media currently lives on.

Does this sound like a proper plan?

1) Build the drat thing
2) Create a 1 drive + 1 parity drive pool (so, use 2x10TB drives that are new, resulting in 10TB of usable space)
3) Copy all the media to that newly created network share
4) Make sure the media copied and is all safe and sound on the unRAID box.
5) Yank the old 10TB out of its existing home, format it and add it (??) as additional capacity for the above 1+1 pool
6) Profit?

Is there a better/safer way to do this?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Smashing Link posted:

I believe the thread will tell you keep the old 10TB as an off-site backup. Add to the pool when you can afford an additional 10TB. But it depends what other backups you have.

It's all basically replaceable downloaded poo poo. Everything important has a couple copies elsewhere in the world.

Basically I want to be able to tolerate a failed drive, if my house burns down I have bigger concerns.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 16, 2020

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Are any kind of storage snapshots possible in unRaid, and if so is it beneficial to setup some kind of rolling snapshot system to protect against an rm -rf /mnt/user situation?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I know you should disable cache before doing a big data move but theoretically what happens if an unRaid cache device fills during a file transfer/operation?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can you hard-drive-smarter-than-me goons decipher these SSD numbers and tell me if anything seems of concern? This is my cache disk in a 2 month old unRaid build (Samsung 860 Evo), I only ask because apparently unRaid has an SSD thrashing problem that I am not sure if I am a victim of and don't wanna toast the drive.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

I got my hands on a bunch of 1tb 2.5" drives that I'd like to use as storage for a NUC server I have set up, is there anything wrong with getting a 4 bay USB 3 docking station to do that with? Might dive into some Plex but nothing more than 1 client for transcoding.

Is there some kind of dock that does RAID or something similar? Also "free 1tb drives" sounds like throwaways from servers so make sure they aren't SAS

I used external USB drives hooked into a NUC as my HTPC for years without issue, and also ran Plex off them. You are probably fine as long as you state my above statement into account.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If you guys are running Kodi on an HTPC checkout the Yatse android app.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Oh man I forgot about Maxtor. poo poo used to be my jam.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is it a terrible idea to open a random SSH port to the internet to allow my family's computers to backup to it via Duplicati/some other backup client? I have gobs of storage laying around on a server of mine and would like to get my family's data protected without them getting looped into some monthly pay service.

My security logic is:
Use a non-standard port
Data would be encrypted client side
SSH user would be locked into a single directory and be non-root and likely not even have a shell
....?
profit

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

Disable password login, key authentication only, set up fail2ban.

Ya also that, one thing I never understood is why are public keys better than passwords? Assuming it's a good password aren't they cryptographically equivalent?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

That's really good reasoning, and no I am not dumb enough to let my family pick any of the passwords for SSH or the client side crypto. I'd be managing the setup, so ya I should probably just do certs.

I am still in the pondering phase, anything else I might want to consider other than SSH? It just seemed like the least hassle, spin up a VM, give it storage from my array and isolate it as much as I can from anything else on my network since I don't want to make my family members end points on my VPN.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 11, 2020

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

I love UnRAID but my god I loving hate how it handles VMs. No snapshots, no cloning.

This is my main gripe with it, I would really like to get down to a single for server in my house for everything but I still have to keep my ESX NUC humming along because of how well it manages VMs, plus Veeam etc. I have most of my stuff running in docker containers but I still need some VMs for this and that.

I even tried to nest ESX in an unraid VM but no matter what I could not get ESX to detect the virtual hard drive I gave to it ☹️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So this is kind of file server related. Kind of.

I am running unRAID as my home server and it is a pretty healthy machine with the exception of a middle of the road video card.

I know a lot of people are using unraid with a beefy GPU to essentially cast gaming to other weaker devices on their Network. For example I have an Intel NUC acting as my home theater machine and was wondering if it's a sane idea to put in the effort of learning how to set up gaming on my unraid box and then stream the game *somehow* to that NUC as opposed to having a big noisy machine sitting next to my television. Is this being done with something like steam link?

Yes I'm fully aware that I will likely have to sell a kidney or two to afford a new GPU.

(Copper 1GB between these devices if it matters)

cr0y fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 24, 2021