Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Is AFP on FreeNAS any better than SMB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Does a decent PCI SATA card exist that supports BSD or Linux?

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Would this work with FreeNAS?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115011

Grayham fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 26, 2008

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

complex posted:

Seems like it might be hit or miss.

In the full specifications it says that it is supported in FreeBSD so I am guessing that it would work.

The HighPoint site has drivers that need to be installed if you want to do hardware RAID management. Could be hard shoehorning the driver into the FreeNAS install.

On the other hard the FreeNAS site says the 1640, 1740, and 1820 are working well. http://www.freenas.org/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=30&id=freenas_users_hardware

Do you want to do RAID in hardware on the HighPoint or in software in FreeNAS? If the latter you could get a simple non-RAID card.

I'd rather just let the OS handle the RAID. All I really wanted was an add-on card but that was one of the only ones I could find that supported BSD.

Thanks for the link, that should help me a lot.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
drat, I can't find any proof that it's possible to install SABnzbd+ on FreeNAS. I really want a usenet client to run on my file server.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

complex posted:

It is appears possible. If you do a "Full Install" of a recent FreeNAS release you get a "System/Packages" option in the WebGUI. From there you just feed it the package you want to install. You may have to resolve dependencies manually (i.e. grab all the packages that sabnzbdplus depends on). I've never done this, just researched it a bit.

http://www.freenas.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=24 - release of System/Packages option
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/news/sabnzbdplus/ - port of sabnzbplus
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/Latest/ - where you might have to grab packages from

Thanks.

Actually, right now I don't have access to my server. I'm just screwing around with FreeNAS on my Macbook Pro with VMware Fusion 2 Beta. I'll give it a try.

Also, I don't have any experience with BSD, just a little Linux so this is all a little new to me.

EDIT: Ok, I installed the SABnzbd+ package from the WebGUI but now I have no idea how to start and access SABnzbd+'s WebGUI.

Grayham fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 29, 2008

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

complex posted:

Looks like you just run SABnzbd.py, and it starts listening on port 8080 by default.

Ok, first I can't seem to find where SABnzbd.py is located and second, I tried installing the package again and noticed the result:

code:
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'python25-2.5.2_2' with 'lang/python25' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-cherrypy-old-2.2.1,1' with 'www/py-cherrypy-old' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-chardet-1.0.1' with 'textproc/py-chardet' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-feedparser-4.1_2' with 'textproc/py-feedparser' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-utils-0.2.5' with 'devel/py-utils' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-setuptools-0.6c8' with 'devel/py-setuptools' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-elementtree-1.2.6' with 'devel/py-elementtree' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-cheetah-2.0.1' with 'devel/py-cheetah' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-cElementTree-1.0.5_1' with 'devel/py-celementtree' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'unrar-3.80.b1,5' with 'archivers/unrar' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'par2cmdline-0.4_1' with 'archivers/par2cmdline' origin.
Does this mean I need to install all of those packages first?

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
It's too bad nobody makes a Mini ITX case that can hold 4 or 5 HDs. There are so few Mini ITX cases to begin with. I wish a manufacturer like Lian-Li would make something.

I guess I'll just continue running mine without a case. :arghfist::(

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
2.5" and 3.5" SATA drives use the exact same connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
So is it pretty much impossible to have a FreeNAS box running an FTP server exposed to the internet to not get hammered by bots?