Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"
Can anyone recommend a couple of decent PCIe NICs that work well with FreeNAS and won't cost an arm and a leg? I'm looking for one WiFi and one Ethernet, but none of the NICs I have work with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stray
Jun 28, 2005

So I followed another poster's advice and got an Atheros WiFi card for my home server (since it's going to be too far from the router for an Ethernet cable). Specifically, I bought an Atheros AR5BXB112 AR9380 PCI-Express WiFi card.

However, when I installed it, FreeNAS didn't seem to see it at all. Could someone maybe give me a specific make/model of WiFi card that is known to work out of the box with FreeNAS, before I go out and buy another incompatible NIC?

stray
Jun 28, 2005

Odette posted:

When I posted on the FreeNAS forums about a similar thing, they told me not to bother with wifi cards.

Holy jumping Jesus, you're right... no wireless support. WTF?

So… I guess this means I'll need to compile the kernel myself with driver support?

stray
Jun 28, 2005

This might sound stupid, but: how does FreeNAS 9 load and run from a USB thumb drive without choking? It seems as though the thumb drive is mounted read-only, so where are my settings stored when it's running? For that matter, how/when does it write those changes so that they're preserved between boots? Is there a way to set up Linux such that it boots from a USB thumb drive and the settings are preserved between boots?

stray
Jun 28, 2005

evol262 posted:

Generally there's part of the drive allocated as a loopback device which is bind mounted over configuration files that need to be changed.

Pretty much every Linux LiveCD or live distro does this to USB drives these days.
So is that pretty much what they're talking about on this page?

stray
Jun 28, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

The good news is that FreeNAS 9.2 is bringing forth Linux jails and I should be able to run Plex off of that instead of dealing with the FreeBSD port's bugs from lack of certain libraries.
Am I right in assuming that this will allow me to run a Linux distro (e.g., Debian/Ubuntu Server) inside FreeNAS? Because that sounds friggin' sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stray
Jun 28, 2005

SamDabbers posted:

Vanilla FreeBSD has the ability to emulate (most of) the Linux kernel API, which enables (most) 32-bit Linux binaries to run directly. You can use this to run a Linux userland in a jail, so yes, your assumption is correct :)
Ah, OK. I'm a bit sad that it can only handle 32-bit Linux, but hey, it's emulation and it's free, so who am I to bitch?