Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Is a dual-core Atom sufficient to run a large (12TB or so) raid-z2 server? Or does Atom's RAM limitation prevent acceptable performance? This would be for just a general media server that is infrequently accessing mostly sequential data. Is raid-z2 even worth it for that usage scenario? Does lightning strike twice THAT often?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Would it be possible (with a 4-jack NIC) to run a RADIZ2 in FreeNAS and something like m0n0wall in VirtualBox so the same machine can operate as both a NAS and router?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

UndyingShadow posted:

You'd need bare metal VPN software, and I know there's a free version of VMWare that'll do it. You'll likely need a raid card that can be "passed through" to the FreeNAS vm as I don't think you can directly access storage volumes through VMware. Also, I don't know why you'd need a 4 port NIC, 2 should be enough.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but I was intending to have FreeNAS be the "host" OS and running the VM on top of it so I could use ZFS. Is this stupid/impossible? I'm assuming since you can install VirtualBox on FreeBSD you can install it on FreeNAS. I'm aware this throws the "boot from a thumb drive" proposition out the window, but since I was intending to also use it for SABNzb and Sickbeard I was going to need an OS drive anyways.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

UndyingShadow posted:

Freenas is designed to be as appliance like as possible, which means that if you install the FreeNAS image on a larger hard drive, it just won't see any of the space past 2 gig. I have no idea what would be involved in running the VM on top of FreeNAS, but it really really wasn't designed to be used this way, and since the FreeNAS support forums are all but useless for even basic things, I bet configuring it and getting it working would be a nightmare.

So looks like I'm after more of a general purpose server then. The secondary purpose is of course to learn (by doing) FreeBSD/Networking/VM. Thanks for your input!

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Would someone mind taking a look at this build for a 12TB (with raidz2) FreeNAS setup? Thanks in advance!

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20731586

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

So I bought this today:

code:
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC 
Intel Celeron G555 Sandy Bridge 2.7GHz LGA 1155 Dual-Core Desktop Processor 
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter
Transcend JetFlash 500 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Red) Model TS4GJF500
G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
6 x Western Digital WEWD30EFRX 3 TB WD Red SATA 3.5" NAS Hard Drive
with the intent to run FreeNAS with raidz2, for steaming media to a Boxee, 4 other computers, and just for general storage.

Is the CIFS/Samba support really as bad as people say it is? All of my computers are Windows and only 1 of them has Pro, so NFS wouldn't do me much good. Does the NAS4Free SMB implementation work any better?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

Why not give Solaris/OpenIndiana and napp-it a shot? Their CIFS is kernel mode and apparently really good.

I think I will do this! This sounds pretty painless and will force me to actually brush up on my UNIX(like) skills. Any preference on Solaris 11 vs OpenIndiana? Thanks!

EDIT: Well should have just read napp-it's manual, he recommends OpenIndiana.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 7, 2012

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Christmas came a little early this year...

:smug:

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 14, 2012

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

movax posted:

I know you're super excited but no need for us to see what you're copying to and from places. *cough*

What are they going to be running in?

It's in this:

code:
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC 
Intel Celeron G555 Sandy Bridge 2.7GHz LGA 1155 Dual-Core Desktop Processor 
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter
Transcend JetFlash 500 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Red) Model TS4GJF500
G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
6 x Western Digital WEWD30EFRX 3 TB WD Red SATA 3.5" NAS Hard Drive
Running Openindiana with Napp-it, raidz2.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I've had 6 Reds from B&H photo running for about 6 months, all's well:

code:
 id 	  diskcap 	 pool 	 vdev 	 state 	 error 	         smart_model 	        smart_type 	 smart_health 	 temp 	 
 c0t0d0   3001 GB 	 tank 	 raidz 	 ONLINE  S:2 H:0 T:0 	 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 	 sat,12 	 PASSED 	 28 °C
 c0t1d0   3001 GB 	 tank 	 raidz 	 ONLINE  S:2 H:0 T:0 	 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 	 sat,12 	 PASSED 	 28 °C
 c0t2d0   3001 GB 	 tank 	 raidz 	 ONLINE  S:2 H:0 T:0 	 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 	 sat,12 	 PASSED 	 28 °C
 c0t3d0   3001 GB 	 tank 	 raidz 	 ONLINE  S:2 H:0 T:0 	 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 	 sat,12 	 PASSED 	 27 °C
 c0t4d0   3001 GB 	 tank 	 raidz 	 ONLINE  S:1 H:0 T:0 	 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 	 sat,12 	 PASSED 	 27 °C
 c0t5d0   3001 GB 	 tank 	 raidz 	 ONLINE  S:1 H:0 T:0 	 WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 	 sat,12 	 PASSED 	 28 °C
Also, napp-it v.9 is a HUGE improvement over .8.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I've had a large 6-drive RAID-Z2 array running on OpenSolaris for over a year now. Is there any maintenance that needs to be done, software wise? I haven't noticed any decline in speed and there are no hardware or software errors on the drives. SMART readout looks perfect.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Scrub the pool once in a while, I do it weekly via crontab. Not much else to do.

Set a job to scrub once a month. Thanks!

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

The catch this season was pretty good, boys.

Testing...(definitely not going to burn the house down)

Doing it right this time, with like, actual server hardware and not crap that my neighbor used to mine bitcoins with

Had to split up the testing across 2 different computers, and the one with only 2 drives attached finished much quicker (the write/read speeds decrease with more drives attached, probably saturating whatever link the USB controller is connected to). The first batch was good, so let's shuck!

These are HGST air-filled DC HC320 drives that have been de-tuned to 5400 RPM. While maybe not quite as nice as the helium filled Reds people were getting from other shucking drives, for $150 an 8TB datacenter drive is pretty goddamn good.

Eventually going to migrate the 6 3TB Reds that I have in my current NAS over to this enclosure (so, 6x 8TB drives + 6 3TB drives, running in separate RAIDZ2 pools). They're nearing 6 years old but still don't throw any errors, so I'll keep using them for low-value storage (trashy reality shows, etc). And yeah, yeah a CLC on a server is stupid as hell but it was just laying around and I had nothing else to use it on, so whatever.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

taqueso posted:

Is the buttons trackpad actually better at tracking or is it just for the buttons?

The trackpad actually sucks rear end, use the nib, it's the only way to fly

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Atomizer posted:

What software are you using / what's your testing process?

Since I didn't want to have to set up a dual-boot partition with Linux (and use smartctl and badblocks), I used GSmartControl to do a short SMART test (2 minutes) before starting anything, then used h2testw to write/verify each drive (~30 hours). Then I ran the "long" SMART test from GSmartControl (~15 hours). Because it's Windows, you're only running it on the filesystem, so the last couple hundred reserved MB doesn't get tested...but I'll take those odds.

Without the fans, the drives were getting up to 55C, which is way too hot. Added the fans and they held at around 38C, which is perfect.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I heard you guys like hard drives

6x8TB in one RADIZ2 pool, 6x3TB in another. About 40 TiB usable (for now). Running ProxMox with separate LXC containers for Turnkey Fileserver, Plex, SABNzdb, Sonarr, etc. ZFS pools are handled by the host and mounted as bind points to the containers.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

nerox posted:

What case is that?

I am about 3 TB from having my server full, I am thinking of picking up a few more hard drives, but I need to upgrade my case at the same time.

Lian-li A75. Kind of a disappointing case from Lian-li in terms of quality/finish, but it was quite cheap and is literally the only tower case I've found with 12 bays.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Nice, I've got one of those cases myself. Your picture threw me off at first because I saw that tower PC in the background as an open door or something and was a bit confused. "that looks so much like my file server's case, but what's with the door?"

Yeah that's a pc-v3000 in the back all torn apart for my other project.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Sorry I just transitioned to a Rieserfs system, please don't tell my wife.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

RAID is not backup. If you haven't touched enough computers to see a raid controller poo poo the bed and write garbage to all of your mirrored replicas then please just trust in the mantra of raid is not backup.

I backup all of my critical files onto a striped 1000-drive 1.44MB floppy array. :shrug:

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Rusty posted:

Okay, I have another question. I am not sure unraid is for me, and freenas just looks like a fancy web UI on top of FreeBSD. Is there any reason I shouldn't just use a Linux Distro for a NAS box? Are the dedicated NAS stuff better at memory management? Are there features I need like ZFS? I just want a dedicated box for storage and Plex. I'm thinking of just using CentOS with mdadm.

Look into ProxMox, it's what I used for my new setup and it's pretty dang cool. It does ZFS if you want it, but otherwise whatever Debian supports if you don't.

Run everything in LXC containers, with one of them being Turnkey Fileserver (there's a default template in the ProxMox library). Then one for Plex, SABnzbd, etc.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

One thing that was a consideration item for me was that Plex does not support hardware transcoding on FreeBSD; it's Windows or Linux only. If your processor supports Quicksync, this can be really useful if you and your spouse have 4k (or even 1080p) media that you want to watch at the same time on your phones on a plane (or other bandwidth limited areas), for example. It is technically "worse" than the software transcoder and does require a Plex Pass ($$). Just a data point to consider. It does work perfectly using GPU passthrough in an LXC container.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

How hard is it to get hardware transcoding working in plex if plex is in a docker? I would need to find a low profile GPU I think too, but I would love to add something like this to my N54L.

Not hard at all. Basically the same process as LXC, install the drivers on your base OS and use passthrough to the container. If your CPU supports Quicksync you might see additional benefit with a discrete GPU but it's probably not required unless you're doing a bunch of 4k HEVC transcodes.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Sniep posted:

tl;dr: WD purples are basically the same as the reds

Interesting. I had heard pretty adamant statements to avoid them for any applications outside of surveillance/video logging. Hearsay being worthless, of course.

I wonder if that was the design goal but in the end their mfg process just ends up being so good and the disks so reliable that it's not even a concern?

I believe the Seagate "archive" drives use SMR which is really bad for NAS type workloads.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Tivac posted:

Pulling the trigger on the Synology 918+, also gonna grab a few drives.

Are the WD MyBook 8TB worth shucking, or should I pony up for the WD EasyStore 8TB from BB? They're currently about $50 more expensive but still $50 cheaper than buying an 8TB WD Red directly.

WD Elements 8TB are even cheaper and are usually HGST DC320s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

EVIL Gibson posted:

Please. Don't use USB. A usb flash drive doesn't have SMART info that let you know it is beginning to die. There are a few but they are weird

I never understood this recommendation. They were making it well, well after you could get 256 GB SSDs for like $50.