Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I had an HP Mediasmart running Windows Home Server v1, but I came back from out-of-state one day and it was stuck in a reboot-loop. Pulled the drives and I've been without a giant place to store poo poo for a while. I picked up three 2TB WD Red drives the other day when they were $99 on Amazon; I'm ready to get some network storage going again.

I have a spare case, and I can swap out the PSU; however, I'm somewhat at a loss as to what type of system I should build for a reliable NAS + a few extras. When ordering the not-hard-drive parts, I'll pick up another 2TB Red so I can do RAID6. I know about building a decent desktop and how to piece together a nice HTPC, but I haven't dealt with any NAS stuff that wasn't prebuilt.

What parts should I look into? What OS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

DrDork posted:

If you're not planning on expanding your storage past 4 drives anytime soon (or ever), the HP N40L/N54L is a great option. Basically pre-built for you, just slap in some extra RAM (8-16GB recommended), an Intel PRO NIC if you want, and a 2GB USB key with FreeNAS/NAS4Free/whatever-other-OS-you-want, and you're off to the races.

If you want something more beefy than that (say, something to do transcoding, or handle a bunch of other jobs than just light file-serving), you'd want to be looking into a low-end i3 (if you don't want VM's), an i5 or one of AMD's offerings (if you do want VM's) and related gear. Most setups like that are a good bit more expensive than the N40L, though, which right now is $270 at NewEgg.

Rather not do pre-built again and I'm looking at expanding past 4 drives.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What about hardware RAID cards since I'm looking at doing RAID6?

Or should I use something like RAID-Z2 in FreeNAS?

Phone fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 26, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm still looking onto FreeNAS stuff, and I saw some documentation about the file system. How much faster is NFS vs CFIS? I have Win7 Pro so I can go through the hassle of getting the Unix stuff.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Shitttt double post

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

yomisei posted:

Afaik you need the Enterprise edition for the native NFS client. But CFIS is fast enough and integrates much cleaner into windows. To clarify, NFS/CFIS aren't filesystems (zfs is), they're protocols for network sharing. Both type of shares can easily be set up in the GUI anyways, even in parallel on the same path. I don't have a single problem with CFIS as my G630T handles 95MB/s without coming near dangerous high cpu loads. It's just a matter of apples and oranges, pick your poison.

Man, I know that CFIS is Samba and I still called it a FS. :downs:

Thanks for the input.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

evil_bunnY posted:

And they wonder why people want to buy from amazon instead.

Because camelcamelcamel showed the WD Red at an all time low price? :buddy:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What's wrong with WD reds? I have 3 2TB that are itching to be used?

OK, I think I know what I want, but I require goon approval. I had an HP Media Smart EX485 which got stuck in an infinite rebooting loop, so I pulled all the drives and sold it. I want to roll my own because gently caress devices that you're REQUIRED to remote into (or spend some time carefully soldering PS/2 and VGA headers onto the motherboard).

I have 3 2TB WD Red drives, I have some 750GB Seagates that have some data on them, a case and a Intel 320 series SSD.

What I think I should do is pick up an i3 or i5, 16GB of RAM, one of those expansion cards that adds 8 SATA connectors, another 2TB Red, and throw FreeNAS on it. Install the OS to the SSD, and RAID-Z2 the Red drives.

Is this reasonable or am I missing something?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I got them from amazon who did a lovely job packing the drives.

Any comments about the proposed build?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think the 320 is a 120GB, but I can always just grab a 40GB drive for the OS.

Is there anything that I'm obviously missing? What should I look for in a power supply?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why not just an 8GB flash drive and run embedded? Or are you going to be running services on it that would be better done with a properly-writeable root?

I'm not that well versed in the feature set of FreeNAS/NAS4Free, but at minimum I'd like to run rtorrent and hopefully some remote services to control a homebrew thermostat.

Also, a used SSD is peanuts.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Alright alright, I'm inching closer to building a NAS box, but now I have a few hardware and software questions:

Background/goal is to stand up a 4 drive (2TB WD Reds) RAID-Z2 box of some sort.

Should I go with FreeNAS or NAS4Free?
Will I run into any issues with an Ivy Bridge i3 and Z77 board?
Should I pick up an Intel NIC if it isn't integrated?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
IOwnCalculus was right, I should just put the FreeNAS host on a USB stick.

Current shopping list:
Intel G2020
Supermicro X9SCM-IIF
8GB of DDR3 ECC
4x WD Reds in a RAID-Z2 pool
A PSU that's Platinum 80

I don't think I'm missing anything, but I feel this should be solid as a rock. Thanks, thread.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I still haven't stood up my NAS and I was told to look into NAS4Free and use a USB stick for the OS install. I want the Embedded x64 Image, right?

e: I got it up and the ZFS pool created. What misc stuff should I do to make sure that this sucker stays up?

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 16, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I remember something about doing weekly/monthly checks or something similar. Unfortunately that's as much as I can remember. :negative:

(I had this loving box built for the past 4 months, and it took me less than an hour to get it up and running, ughhhhhh motivation and effort)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Should I change any of the power management stuff? Or should I just leave the disks spinning 24/7?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You sound like me! If you really want to stay die-hard Windows, go grab Windows Home Server; however, if you want a more robust system, check out FreeNAS or NAS4Free. I just stood up a NAS4Free box that I built to replace the WHS v1 HP Mediasmart that poo poo the bed over a year ago, and it's pretty awesome.

I'm not saying that this is a brilliant build or anything; however, it's what I used in my new NAS:

Intel G2020 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4G70RU/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_4
Supermicro X9SCM-IIF - http://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-DDR3-Server-Motherboard-X9SCM-IIF-O/dp/B0090YPCTQ
8GB of DDR3 ECC - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002T3JN0Y/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182710
4x WD Reds in a RAID-Z2 pool - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JJLZ7G/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_3
Fanless Seasonic Platnium PSU - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZWQXUQ/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_2

Just a quick note, the RAM was $25 bucks cheaper when I bought it, and the motherboard is cheaper on Newegg. Minus the case and a 4GB USB stick, you're looking at about $850 for a build your own.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Eh, it might get a bit tricky but I would think you could have a script open a terminal session and execute a shutdown /f with a little bit of looking around. You might need a Professional copy of Windows to enable some "enterprise" level features.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Caged posted:

Can you not do it backwards and have the UPS connected to the server and the server handling the network part of things, so your PC is just a client?

It's Wake On LAN not Sleep On LAN, gosh.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Revdomezehis posted:

So got a friend that wants to get a nas, specifically a drobo 5n. I can't find any decent reviews of it, anyone know what they're like? Friend says that he wants a drobo because it's the only way he can get 2tb drives now and later get a 4tb drive and toss it in while using the entire drive. Any truth to that?

Related to the hds he says that all nas specific drives are only worth it for 2 or 3 drive systems and anything more they cause problems/are slow. Also WD red drives fail all the time and are worthless and he wants to get toshiba drives. Both of these seem like complete BS to me but figure I'll check in here about that.

Your friend is the most dangerous type of person: he knows enough to get himself into trouble but isn't self-aware enough to realize it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Since I just moved (and found out that 2 of my case fans had seized A+++++), I'm slowly getting my home IT garbage up to snuff. I have a NAS4Free setup with a ZFS RAID-Z2 pool.

I want to move to something a bit more flexible and not a fork of a fork. Is FreeNAS and mounting the existing pool seem like the route to go?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Why is half of synology’s lineup have intel atoms (but expandable up to 32GB of RAM!) and 8 bays, but the ones with a Celeron or Xeon are limited to 8GB and only have half of the bays?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sniep posted:

I just have a NUC 8 (NUC8i5BEK) in front of my Synology DS1817+, the combo works pretty great, let the Syno just focus on the disks and spitting bits, and do all my work with it externally. Was the best price/performance I was able to come up with that wasn't a rackmount/full computer server in the living room

I’m coming from a NAS4Free box that IOwnCalculus somehow managed to convince me was a good move for a ZFS RAIDZ2 array that hasn’t been booted on in like 3 years. I couldn’t be bothered to figure out how to get the NAS with training wheels to work out, so I’m looking for an appliance to set and forget.

I’m sure that the NUC is miles easier as an interface and whatnot; however, I’m trying to get this to the point where my own sloth isn’t the determining factor of setting the thing up... because I technically could just spin up the thing I have downstairs and that should be plenty beefy, etc. if I’m gonna to try to fill a gap in the Synology product line.

Computers. :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have a pressing need for some storage coming up soon, and need some guidance.

Even though I have a box I built a few years ago, I haven't touched it in over 6 years now (it's been powered off for 5 years) and I really don't want to comb through what remains of the NAS4Free documentation to try to spin up or migrate my ZFS pool and have it just go kaput almost immediately since it's a 4x2TB WD Red array. Starting from scratch and going with a Synology seems like the best bet.

I'm thinking of getting a DS1819+ and filling it half up with either 8TB or 12TB drives and expanding later if I need to. Can you add more storage to a Synology pool later or it is like ZFS where you define the pool and have to migrate to a new one if you want to expand? Is there any compelling reason to get the SSD caching expansion card if it's going to be for backups and maybe some streaming? Should I immediately up the RAM from 4GB to 8 or 16GB? Is there anything I should look out for?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
SHR2 = RAID 6/RAID Z2 it seems?

Is there a good resource on scavenging USB externals for their sweet, sweet, sweet gooey internals? Looks like 14TB passports are $250 a pop at BestBuy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Where are the $180 12TB Easystores?

I only see $250 12TB Easystores and $250 14TB Easystores.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Not including tax, waiting around for another $180 sale is $15/TB versus $17.85 for the 14TB. Not an awful density tax.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Doing slightly more research last night, it seems like running each drive through a pass of badblocks isn't the worst idea in the world? Or is it on the same level of 7-pass DBAN NSA ApprovedTM fud?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I brought up DBAN, specifically the 7-pass, as poo poo that was parroted for years that was ultimately a colossal waste of time since 1-pass is sufficient; however, there would still be people online saying how they do 20 passes and they were being serious.

The question was more of "run badblocks y/n?" because I don't have any first hand experience with it.

e:

D. Ebdrup posted:

Reply is not edit.
Mind you, DBAN doesn't account for data recovery from a hard drive using magnetic force microscopy where the physical sectors on the platter are read by a head that's at a perpendicular angle whereas normally the disk would be straight over the sector - although only with a cap between the disk and the head of about 700 pico-meters.

:eyepop:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

D. Ebdrup posted:

The thing to realize about badblocks (badsect on BSD systems) is that it does nothing for you if you don't then supply the database of bad sectors to your filesystem as it's initialized (or during a fsck, at least for the combination of badsect+UFS on FreeBSD), so that the filesystem can avoid those areas.
ZFS, being awesome, doesn't need any of this - because it has scrub which is designed to fix these issues.

EDIT: Also, fun fact: badsect is almost 40 years old.

Yeah, it's some impressive research :)

I keep poorly framing my question... I’m planning on going to Synology + Easystore route and I’m trying to figure out what’s a good CYA before putting the disks into the Synology in order to force bathtub curve issues to pop up sooner rather than later. I’m trying to avoid popping in 4 drives straight out of the external enclosures into the NAS and then figuring out on my first backup that 1 or the 2 drives was toast right out the gate despite initializing and being formatted OK.

I’m also trying to avoid the equivalent of audiophile alignment crystals.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
OK I’m back again and need some help for the next step; I got 4x14TB Easystores all in the house and I’m going to start running SMART stuff on them.

For going with a Synology box, is there a compelling argument to go with a DS1819+ over a DS1019+? I’m starting off with 4 drives and my data needs will remain under 28TB until probably the end of the year. I don’t have a burning desire to mess with Plex, but I want the flexibility to have transcoding to beam movies to a phone or tablet. I’m more interested in having the ability to host a VM or two... but the 8GB of RAM seems a bit limited on the 1019?

Here’s the data sheet comparison: https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/compare/DS1019+/DS1819+

The major caveat with my indecision is that I really don’t want to spin up my own box and CJ it. Thanks as always~~

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

H110Hawk posted:

If you're dead set on using the synology as your plex transcoder then don't get an 1819. Get the largest unit you can afford with the transcoding features you need. In SHR2 mode you're going to be tossing 50% of your storage down the drain in the 4-disk box.

Seems like a 1819 is the way to go; the Celeron processor in the 1019 is either dogshit garbage or Atoms have gotten way better since I was loving around with the first gen of them back in college. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

H110Hawk posted:

Ok - know that you will likely be unable to transcode video in real time on it. You will need something to handle that. I slapped a NUC next to mine, which is about the bare minimum of computer janitorial work.

I don't have a transcoding need right now, and I'm not doing any Plex stuff as-is so I don't see a pressing need to start.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Steakandchips posted:

WD Red, the byword for NAS drives for years, has literally been burned by WD themselves in the span of a week after:

1. Not admitting (initially) that the reds had SMR.
2. Not correcting the issue (recalls, rebates, anything!)
3. Insisting that the issue is the buyers fault for not buying appropriate NAS drives for their NASes, while concurrently actually selling WD Reds as NAS drives.

I pulled out the Red I had in my old tower in order to fill it up with the Easystore white labels, and while it's a CMR disk, the label says "NASware 3.0" on it.

lmao

Thermopyle posted:

WD is correct that, as the end user, the underlying technology isn't what should be driving our purchase. If they use something they dug out of an Aztec temple it doesn't matter as long as it meets the performance specifications.

They try to deftly overlook the fact that they changed the performance specifications without telling anyone. There's probably some data sheet or small print somewhere that, if you compare it to pre-SMR drives, will show the performance differences. However, that's effectively "not telling anyone".

Yeah, it should be opaque to the end user. But it wasn't because of the "extreme" use cases that they were being subjected to. Now WD is trying to CYA (CTA?) by saying that it doesn't matter because they only guaranteed the performance for "non-extreme" use cases.

But the box and label literally says xXxTrEeMmMmMmMmMe on it.

Hats off to whoever is handling the PR for WD, they're doing a great job.

Phone fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 21, 2020

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

Pretend I had any actual creative abilities and that there was a WD Red being carried like a casket right here.

It's really amazing that they're throwing away almost a decade of reputation by refusing to take the L on this. Imagine having a 3 letter word that's shorthand for your product, it's even a primary color, and sacrificing it at the altar of this quarter's profits.

Three loving keystrokes: R - E - D.

You cannot have had a better marketing ploy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I shucked four 14TB drives the other day and did a Windows full format. Task manager was showing all four plugging along at 145MB/s, which multiplied by 60*60*24 = ~12.5TB... so maybe? I don't know if writing all 0s doesn't cause the cache thing to spaz out, but as someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, it passes the sniff test for me.

Everything I've seen online has said that the Easystores are all CMR.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Paging anyone who wants to deal with me being a newbie moron for the 5th time over the last month...

I shucked the 14TB easystores, popped them into my old tower, ran the Windows full format (took about 23 hours), did a SMART short, and two SMART long tests. Everything looks clean from what I can tell, but I also don't know what I'm talking about. Is there anything else I should do before setting up the 1819+ that's coming in today?

Thanks as always.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

sharkytm posted:

I would have skipped the windows stuff entirely, and run badblocks (badblocks -b 4096 -ws /dev/device) instead, but you've at least done a due-diligence test. Most pre-built NAS units with storage have even less testing done, and the failure rates are pretty low. Just FYI, running 2 long SMART tests in a row doesn't do you any more good than 1, AFAIK.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would use dban / nwipe myself but either way if you put them under any load at all for at least for that kind of timeframe, you've already ruled out DOA and that's probably good enough.

From what I've read the Windows full format writes 0s to every sector and I saw 98% utilization, so I used what I had on hand that didn't require messing with more stuff than I had to. Thanks for the help AI pals.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Monitor Burn posted:

I picked up a couple 10TB WD My Book drives a few months back, and just got around to installing them. Tested/formatted both before taking one out of the enclosure. I followed a guide to remove the 3.3v pins on the power connector because apparently they prevent the drives from being recognized on boot and can even catch on fire if you leave them in? I then plugged it into an external usb sata adapter/power cable to test it.

It immediately shorted out a component on the drive's circuit board, which is connected to the ground pins:

Has anyone else had this happen when covering/removing the 3.3v pins, or is this just incredibly bad luck? Do you have to use a specific kind of connector cable or else this happens?

I'm going to attempt to replace the shorted component if I can figure out what it is, but otherwise where would be a good place to order a replacement circuit board?

You should have tossed the bare drive into a spare PC to see what would happen. My ~2012/Ivy Bridge era power supply worked fine without having to break out the kapton tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hello, I'm back for more advice! I need a UPS that can turn off my Synology DS1819+. The compatibility list page is a mess and I'm not spending $500 on some rackmount nonsense. APC's site is also a mess and doesn't signal well what features their various UPSes have. On the product page for the BE850M2 it says that it comes with a USB cable, has a low res picture of back of the unit, and then has this helpful little snippet in the specs:

quote:

USB connectivity
Provides management of the UPS via a USB port (not available on all models).

Thanks, APC! The user manual says that it works with Windows and Mac, but I thought that all of this stuff was standardized?

Anyways, can anyone point me in something resembling the right direction for a UPS?

kazmeyer posted:

So what's the current guidance on the whole kapton-tape-over-the-connector issue with shucked drives? I seem to remember there were certain types of power supplies where you didn't have to monkey with that, and as I'm considering building a new machine this year it'd be really great if I could make a choice now that would skip that nonsense and get me cheap 12tb drives. (It's also because I'm a clumsy idiot and I know I would gently caress up something that fiddly and delicate.)

If you have a power supply from at least 2012, it won't be an issue. (probably)