Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

PowerLlama posted:

I have to second King Nothing's review. I have the D-Link Drandom numbers, and I love it.

I, also, must commend King Nothing and his review of the Dlink NAS box. I bought one of these 3 months ago and have been very happy with it. It works perfectly, takes up very little power, and my girlfriends Mac recognized it straight away.

We plugged a printer into it, and it recognized it straight away. It was absolutely brilliant. For something cheap and easy to use, with all the benefits of stability and customization, this is definitely worth the money.

Though I would LOVE to build me one of those DAS raid boxes, I just don't have the money. This works though, and I'm very happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I got my Xbox 360 last night so I'll try to get my DNS-323 working with it. If I can, it'll be a super sweet media box type setup.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nick VTX posted:

Well I just bought a DNS-323 with (2)-500GB SATA hard drives and couldn't be happier with it (Cost ~$325). I threw in the new drives, plugged it up to my network and then mapped it as an extra drive on my laptop (WinXP_SP2) using DLink's easy search program. So far I have just manually backed up files to it, but plan to use some of the other features on it once I figure them out.

One small problem I have run into though is that I get an error when trying to pull it up on my PS3..."Media Server Error, DLNA Protocol Error 2114" I am running the latest 1.4 firmware and 2.30? on my PS3 and am not sure if I just misconfigured something or there's a software problem with the DNS323 or PS3.

Has anyone successully got it to work on their PS3 yet? If so, in what capacity?

I tried it on the Xbox 360, but still no go. I have heard reports that the PS3 could connect to it.

It's more of a problem with the UPNP driver of the DNS-323 driver than Microsoft/Sonys fault. I'm hoping that, if they update the firmware again, they'll test it with the Xbox 360 and with PS3 first so that it will work.

I want my super sweet media box damnit :(

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just installed 1.05 for DNS-323, nice that it has bittorrent now, but still unable to connect to Xbox 360 :(

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

I think you need to install Twonky for that. The bad part is that it's a pay program. The good part is that it's very easy to install.

What I heard was that with Twonky, as long as you restart the DNS-323 every few weeks or so and that you haven't set up the date function on it, it'll reset the timer.

Nick VTX posted:

Thanks for the heads up, just noticed the 1.05 firmware is final now on Dlink's site. Did you have any problem updating the firmware (i.e. did you backup the DNS-323 like they say)?

I had no problems updating the firmware. Didn't back up or anything. Just uploaded and it worked fine after its reboot.

HPL posted:

ncix.com has the DNS-323 on sale for $145.99 this week. You really can't go wrong at that price.

That's a great price. I got mine for just over $200 with a 500gb drive a few months back. It's definitely worth the price.

kri kri posted:

Is there any way to use combine multiple dlinks and use them just as 1 logical drive?

I'm not sure if the JBOD feature will allow you to do that or not unfortunately.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Hey guys. My roommate and I want to get a NAS setup going so we can dump all our music and videos on it and be able to access it all from our 3 computers and two 360s. We originally looked into buying a Western Digital My Book World, but it seems rather expensive. What's be a simple and cheap way to get/make/build a NAS setup with maybe 500GB or storage?

A DNS-323 should work for what you're looking for. Will work out of the box fine with all the PC's but base firmware lacks compatibility with the 360, but with Twonky or uShare installed it'll work perfectly.

Will fit 2x750gb drives, as either 2 separate drives, Raid0, Raid1 or JBOD. I'm not sure if it'll work with terabyte drives yet.

Twonky is easier to install and works better than uShare, but requires registration after 30 days. uShare is free but still has some slight problems with Xbox pnp (music doesn't get listed properly, and requires to reboot the box when you add new content).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
DNS-323 comes with a 3ft network cable.