Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

ufarn posted:

I can't comprehend the taxonomy/nomenclature of Synology NASes, so what should I get if I want to get one with 2-4 bays? I mainly want to use it for backups (and remote backups like, idunno, CrashPlan) for use with bvckup and Time Machine.

Probably some flavor of the 216 or 416. First digit is the number of drive bays, last 2 digits are the model year (2016).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

ufarn posted:

Looks like I might go with the j model, then; it's way cheaper, a dB quieter, has low-power mode, and the only difference I can tell is slightly lower performance, fewer USB slots, and a slightly uglier look.

I have the 215j, which is totally serviceable if you don't mind not being able to transcode media.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Not strictly NAS-related, but I guess it's about time to get around to replacing this desktop storage hard drive...

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

redeyes posted:

It is exceedingly rare for HDs to do that. Which model/brand?

Western Digital Black (WD6401AALS).

It gave me just about 5.5 years, so I guess I don't have too many complaints here. Got a new drive coming in on Friday.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

redeyes posted:

Good job WD in this case. The Blacks usually do well in failure cases. What'd you replace it with?

I've had a bunch of blues die but they were readable. Good deal. Seagate on the other hand, when they fail, they fail hard.

I've got a Toshiba MG03ACA300 on order...I've a NAS to back up most of my critical files in case this turns out not to be reliable, but I'm pretty excited to have more space than 640 gigs to play around with.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Incessant Excess posted:

I found out that this thing sadly doesn't support running Usenet apps like Sonarr and Couchpotato. Does anyone have a recommendation for a 4bay NAS that can run usenet software? I've looked at the Synology DS416J for this purpose but was told that CPU might be too slow.

I run Sonarr, Couchpotato, and sabnzbd on my 2-bay DS215j. I'm not a power user, by any stretch, but it does the job just fine for me.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

sharkytm posted:

Run SMART diagnostics, usually there's a manufacturer tool to do so. Your SSD should have a tool as well, it'll tell you how many writes and assess the health of the drive.

I dunno if it's still the best tool for the job or not, but I've been using CrystalDiskInfo to check the health of my drives for years now.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

ufarn posted:

I haven't had my NAS on in like two or three months, and now Windows gives me this while trying to access it. Any idea what's up? Is it a new W10 policy?

I think SMB1 got disabled with the Fall Creators Update

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm on the verge of taking the plunge on a home NAS for the purpose of :filez: storage and streaming around the house, photo/document storage/viewing, and system image backup. I might also get into some home security stuff down the line.

I can't justify the price of the DS918+ so I think I'm going to go with the DS418PLAY which I think meets all my needs. I think I'll start with 3x 6TB drives in RAID1 and add another down the line. The information around Plex decoding seems to be conflicting but I think it can handle everything I want it to (only need it to do 720p x265 decoding or 1080p x264 decoding).

In case it doesn't though, is the critical part for decoding the CPU? If so, is upgrading the CPU on the NAS exactly the same as upgrading the CPU on any board or is there an extra layer of complexity involved?

I don't believe any Synology products have user-replaceable CPUs, and oftentimes the difference between tiers of product mean a difference in CPU architecture....you're kinda stuck with what you start out with.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Tapedump posted:

Jeez and gently caress! Is he gone now? Can the thread not get shat up by insular, myopic, and rather circular thinking now?

Sweet! :)

gently caress are you talking about

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I have an amcrest that seems to tick all your boxes. Just set it up again last night with my Syno 215j

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Paul MaudDib posted:

The other way you can go is something like an Asrock Rack X470D4U, which lets you use a 3600 or similar, and then you can use software encoding instead. More power but better transcode quality.

I just did this exact thing, added a few spare parts I had lying around, and slapped together a little proxmox virt server/nas/plex all-in-one. IPMI is so cool for being able to jam it into the basement and never needing to physically touch the box again.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Moey posted:

Nothing specific, just curious if anyone out there is currently doing something similar. I would prefer to keep ESXi as my hypervisor, then just pass an LSI card through to a FreeNAS/TrueNAS VM.

I'm doing this with an X470 board, seems totally good and normal.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

The Gunslinger posted:

Can anyone give me some recommendations on a decent small business NAS device? A family member has a small business and they just need something adequate for 5 users with redundancy. I will also insist they have an onsite and a cloud backup in case the NAS kicks the bucket. It's a lot of text more than anything else so the total space required is only something like 500GB. If it had Crashplan support for automatic backups that would be great too. I'm not sure how Synology is these days for this stuff and last time I used it getting Crashplan going was a pain.

Whatever Synology with a link to a Backblaze B2 has always worked perfectly for me.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

The Gunslinger posted:

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I bought a Synology server locally and set it up for them with some WD Reds. I'm using their backup client (Synology Active Backup) to back up each individual PC to the Synology NAS on a daily schedule, running them all now and it seems to be working fine. But I also want to backup everything on the NAS to Backblaze. It doesn't seem like Backblaze B2 is a supported target in Hyper Backup. How are you backing up the NAS to Backblaze B2?

I was using the Cloud Sync utility to do it, but it looks like there's documentation now in Backblaze's KB showing how to do it in Hyper Backup, as well: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/synology-cloud-backup-guide/

e: direct link to Hyper Backup documentation: https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047171594-How-to-use-Synology-Hyper-Backup-with-B2

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Actuarial Fables posted:

the other (S.M.A.R.T values not showing up in the WebUI) will be fixed in the next stable update.

This has been driving me nuts for the last 2 days and I never even stopped to think that it might be a bug.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Need an NAS recommendation. Only need a two bay system to run RAID 1. Don't have a ton of stuff to store at this time. Would just like to get my media off of my personal computers and have it saved in a secure place without the risk of data loss. 4TB should be more than enough for the time. I also need to be able to stream from the NAS.

Look at Synology, especially the Play series if you need transcoding.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I use B2 to back up the ~800 gig photos directory on my FreeNAS box and it costs me like $3 a month. Well worth the peace of mind.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

H110Hawk posted:

Turn on versioning. You don't want a crypto locker to eat everything. 30d life cycle shouldn't increase your cost per month much at all. Unless you use apple time machine in which case holy gently caress.

I think I have it on, but this is a great reminder to check because there is 0 part of me that wants to lose 16 years of photos.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Paul MaudDib posted:

6 or 8 ports on the board is achievable if you want, even in mITX or mATX form factor

if you want to go Intel then pick one of these boards, Intel certifies ECC on those (and on the i3-9100) so you can get ECC (and maybe IPMI) for nearly the same price, and right now Intel is cheaper than AMD by a decent bit.

you could also go AMD and get a 3600 or something like that (but it won't be ECC certified)

I have a 3600 in that ASRock motherboard and was never able to get any kind of ECC RAM to post in it. I think I bought and returned 3 sets, both on the supported list and not, before giving up.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yup, and all this is possible because SAS isn’t just fancy SATA, where you’re just reading or writing from an address, it’s actually SCSI being sent over the same physical connector as SATA. Since SCSI is a higher level protocol that works on the concept of “commands” there is a place to slot in concepts like “multiple drives per channel”. (Or the fancy stuff previously referenced)

That’s really weird, and kind of a bummer since that one was high on my shortlist.

I don’t want to second-guess you there but maybe it was just a problem with one specific bios or something? Seems really really weird.

In the research I did before just throwing my hands up and giving up on ECC, it sounds like it wasn't necessarily the mobo that was the issue, but the fact that the 3600 doesn't support ECC. You may have better luck with a different CPU that does. It's also definitely definitely possible that it was something else I just didn't have the patience to diagnose.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Nitrousoxide posted:

What do folks use for their offsite data backup solution?

I kick my irreplaceable stuff (primarily photos) over to a Backblaze B2 bucket.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oooh, the X470D4U seems like a nice board. Noted.

This however is a sketchy quote: ECC support is only with Processors with PRO technologies.

Guess who went through 3 separate orders of ECC RAM over several months before reading that? :smith:

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I have what looks on its face to be the dumbest SMART error. This is the smartctl output for a 1TB Gigabyte nvme drive on my Proxmox server, which has begun emailing me every day that the drive is failing. The room that box is in is somewhat chilly, sure, but certainly not as cold as the drive seems to think it is.

Is there a way to suppress this error and keep smartd/smartctl from yelling at me?

code:
=== START OF SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED!
- temperature is above or below threshold

SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
Critical Warning:                   0x02
Temperature:                        1 Celsius
Available Spare:                    100%
Available Spare Threshold:          5%
Percentage Used:                    2%
Data Units Read:                    14,487,976 [7.41 TB]
Data Units Written:                 23,213,323 [11.8 TB]
Host Read Commands:                 232,577,969
Host Write Commands:                704,986,803
Controller Busy Time:               17,643
Power Cycles:                       74
Power On Hours:                     13,296
Unsafe Shutdowns:                   33
Media and Data Integrity Errors:    0
Error Information Log Entries:      123
Warning  Comp. Temperature Time:    0
Critical Comp. Temperature Time:    0

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I have what looks on its face to be the dumbest SMART error. This is the smartctl output for a 1TB Gigabyte nvme drive on my Proxmox server, which has begun emailing me every day that the drive is failing. The room that box is in is somewhat chilly, sure, but certainly not as cold as the drive seems to think it is.

Is there a way to suppress this error and keep smartd/smartctl from yelling at me?

code:
=== START OF SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED!
- temperature is above or below threshold

SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
Critical Warning:                   0x02
Temperature:                        1 Celsius
Available Spare:                    100%
Available Spare Threshold:          5%
Percentage Used:                    2%
Data Units Read:                    14,487,976 [7.41 TB]
Data Units Written:                 23,213,323 [11.8 TB]
Host Read Commands:                 232,577,969
Host Write Commands:                704,986,803
Controller Busy Time:               17,643
Power Cycles:                       74
Power On Hours:                     13,296
Unsafe Shutdowns:                   33
Media and Data Integrity Errors:    0
Error Information Log Entries:      123
Warning  Comp. Temperature Time:    0
Critical Comp. Temperature Time:    0

I migrated my entire VM stack from Proxmox to ESXi free edition this week, and this drive is absolutely failing in weird and wonderful ways. It lasts all of 2-10 minutes after reboot before VMWare decides it's inaccessible and shuts it down. I installed Windows on that box bare-metal just so I could run Gigabyte's special SSD tool, and that tool reports everything as being totally fine, including normal temperature readings. Going to have to call it a loss and move on, I think. Just wish it behaved consistently.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

phosdex posted:

What version of ESXi are you trying? If you just did it, probably unlikely but VMware pushed out a patch last year to vsphere 7 that they actually had to pull and tell people to revert, iirc it had drive killing problems. If you are on 7.0 U3 A or B, then you need to patch to C.

I tried 7.0 U3C, as well as the most recent 6.7. I'll have to look into that failed patch, though, because I was running ESXi late last year on this hardware. Thanks for the heads up.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Wild EEPROM posted:

i'm using freenas and backing up to backblaze b2. i have it in "sync" mode in freenas, which is listed as:
SYNC: Files on the destination are changed to match those on the source. If a file does not exist on the source, it is also deleted from the destination.

i'm going for a full backup of my photos, and "copy" mode description in freenas shows:
COPY: Files from the source are copied to the destination. If files with the same names are present on the destination, they are overwritten.

I can't seem to find it anywhere, but does copy mode overwrite even if it was what wrote the file in the first place?

eg, i have synced a file photo.jpg with this, and then next time it runs nothing has changed with the file or that directory at all, would it still transfer it over and overwrite it? every time?

can't seem to find out any more than just that above description, and avoiding uploading multiple terabytes would be pretty cool

No, it works the way you want it to. I've been doing this with my photos archive for a few years now.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Wild EEPROM posted:

With Copy mode?

Yep! Nightly syncs with no changes take about 15-20 seconds.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Smashing Link posted:

Can anyone point me to the directory in TrueNAS where the Cloud Sync tasks live? I would like to copy/edit a few of the tasks manually.

Seems like they don't live anywhere:

"rclone config are generated from middleware dynamically in /tmp folder as temp files during execution of cloud sync jobs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Scruff McGruff posted:

I haven't' used it myself so I can't speak to how good it is, but Plex also does audio (PlexAmp).

Plex & PlexAmp has completely replaced Spotify for me.