Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Any reason I should avoid the Acer h340 easyStore? I'm waiting for the next newegg sale on those. It has everything on my list. Tons of storage, very low power requirements, onboard OS for the applications I want running 24/7, and nice expandability options. It'll save me about $100 a year in electricity alone. I haven't really heard anything bad about it, but I wanted to see what that NAS Megathread thought about it currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

I've got a new Synology DS413j on the way to finally condense 4 hard drives over three computers into one box with a bit of protection against a drive failure. Two of my existing 2TB drives are going into it along with another 2TB WD Red I've got on the way. Pretty sure none of my current drives are green variants.

Is there anything I should know about these little guys before I start to set it up and entrust it will all my bits and bytes?

Also, has there been any word yet on 4TB WD Red drives coming out? I think I'm okay on storage for a while, but the next logical upgrade when I fill these would probably be to get two 4TB drives and swap out the oldest 2TB one.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

DNova posted:

If your data is worth more to you than the cost of the hardware, then no it is not overkill. Synology makes excellent products.

I just picked up a DS413j, I'm very impressed with it so far. The software is worth a great deal of the price as far as I'm concerned.

The mobile apps work great, I can send stuff and download things from anywhere. I still haven't played around with most of the stuff it can do. My only issues with it so far are that the automatic port opening is a bit finicky, but manually assigning ports fixes that, and adding a drive to the array is slow as balls. Took two days to add a third 2TB drive. But unless you have an incredibly pressing need for more space right now that's not a big deal.

I'd keep in mind too, that you can get nearly twice the space for about the same price with the 3.5" drives. 2TB WD Red drives were nearly the same price as 1TB 2.5 drives during the last sale I saw.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

It'd be a device from Synology or QNAP so I'm not quite sure how that would work but this does give me some ideas to go on.

That's what I did with my Synology, only I had three drives total. I moved everything to one drive, put two in to build the array, copied it over, then added the third drive to the array. It took most of a day to add the third drive, but it worked just fine. Provided you're using their RAID type, which IS expandable.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

I paid $380 for my DS413j Synology. I can't say I have any complaints at all about it. It's 1.6Ghz with 512MB of ram. It's not going to do a whole lot else other than host files. The biggest draw, and the thing I like most about it still, is the software is really nice.

I have my 3 year old Asrock 330 ION for processing files, it's just a duel core Atom, but it's still faster. Another reason I like this combo, the entire thing when running full tilt draws about 50-60 watts of power. A very nice thing for something I intend to leave on all the time.

I did the math using a Kill-a-watt and week long averages. It was cheaper to buy a nettop PC to do my downloading/serving at the time, then to leave my power hungry gaming desktop on for a year and a half.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

The 413j is plenty fast enough to do sickbeard and sabnzbd as well.

It is, I supposed I meant to say I personally don't need it to do much more than serve files. I phrased that poorly.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

Can someone with a Synology device help me figure out how to reset the root password?

I've already followed this faq to reset the password but all it says is that it resets the admin account to the "default value". I can't find any documentation anywhere that says what that default value actually is.

Try username of admin with no password.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Anyone use Amazon Glacier for NAS backup? Synology has a native module in beta for it now. I don't think I'd use it for a full NAS backup, since the majority of my stuff would just be a hassle to get back, rather than irreplaceable.(Reripping HD video for instance) So probably around 100GB to actually have offsite.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

This may be a stupid question, but whatever.

I have a basic model Synology Diskstation and when I access it from my laptop as a network share, moving files from one folder on the diskstation to another on the diskstation takes a long while because apparently the file is relayed over the (wireless) network through the laptop. I seem to remember this is by design the way Windows handles this kind of things.

What I'm wondering is whether there is some software tool or whatever that can help signal the diskstation that it is an internal move to make it near instantaneous, apart from logging into the web interface and using the dsm file browser.

Have you tried using File Station through the DSM browser interface? Should all be local then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant with this:

Whoops. That's what I get for trying to post advice when I've been up too late. :downs:

Have you tried to SSH/telnet into it and copying the files through the CLI that way?