Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm looking to move in with a friend next year and put our efforts into making a nice home network based around a shed ton of storage.

We were thinking about grabbing the 24 bay Norco equivalent they sell here, sticking unRAID on it and filling the drive bays with 2-3tb drives over time. My main use is HTPC and syncing up the libraries so each machine in the house will see everything all the time, as well as time machine backups of our Macs and general network storage.

Given the cost, expandability and some element of redundancy... Is there any reason no go down this path? I don't see unRAID being talked about much in here, but hoping its simply due to a lot of people here wanting high performance and more redundancy than it offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've left all my hardware in another continent, so trying to plan ahead a new home system to build over the next few years. Just seeing if I'm hitting any red flags I don't know about...

It's just me and the wife so no need for insane speeds as shouldn't be congesting it too much. Essentially I'm gonna buy an older 2012 Mac mini to keep me going for the next year or two to have something more stable than a 2011 MacBook Air to do photo editing and general use on. I also miss having a local Plex server, so this machine will run that and the usual background tools as well. Eventually I'll buy a flash brand new iMac for normal use and relegate the mini to just being the plex/iTunes server.

I was thinking something like the QNAP 451a in RAID 5 4x6TB would be a good fit for this setup. I like the idea of having direct access for the machine I'll be doing photo editing on, as 30MB raw files in big imports would benefit from the extra speed, and this seems one of the few more budget units that offer this. I don't need the NAS to do anything special other than hold the drives and let me monitor them in an app or whatever, as the Mini will be running the show wrt file management/any transcoding. I don't really want to CJ this setup to be honest, I want to set up once and walk away.

Obviously the new Mac will have thunderbolt 3 on it and I expect there'll eventually be affordable home NAS' that feature Ethernet/TB combos, but does this sound sensible enough as a rough plan?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm having a nightmare with SoftRaid on my Mac. The previous dot revision works perfectly fine when running the easy setup until the very end when it gives an Unexpected Error warning and no other detail. The absolute newest version even as a trial refuses to recognise that Easy Setup is in the same folder as SoftRaid itself.

Right now I can't work out if it's the drives (new to me, but fully tested by Don Lapre on here before sale so I don't think it's them), my Mobius 2 Bay enclosure (new to me, Amazon warehouse deal because of a bit of damage to the packaging but appeared to be brand new inside), or SoftRaid on a brand new macOS install. I'm tempted to just run the disks using the Mobius as the RAID handler (I'm doing a straight mirror between the two drives, and someone who had a unit fail said the data integrity between the two drives was bit perfect and had no problem getting his data off) and saving myself the headache. Anyone ever had a similar issue and might be able to point out where the problem lies?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

redeyes posted:

Good job WD in this case. The Blacks usually do well in failure cases. What'd you replace it with?

I've had a bunch of blues die but they were readable. Good deal. Seagate on the other hand, when they fail, they fail hard.

I've never recovered anything off about 10tb of dead Seagate drives, and that's enough to stop me ever buying anything from that lot ever again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nothing particularly out there, just stuff that had worked in the past even if just partially. I remember Disk Warrior was one of the software choices, and my friend had an expensive drive duplicator in his work place that he'd had great results with before. I remember spending a day or two on the first drive that died with no luck and then deciding the data lost wasn't the biggest deal. The next step would've been drive board swapouts. Anecdotal evidence for sure, but we probably had about equal Seagates and WDs and the WDs were just so much more reliable for us, and so many other people were complaining about the Seagates that was enough for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of packaging, Amazon UK once sent me a bare drive in an anti static bag inside a thin cardboard mailer that looked like it was designed for a paperback book. Unsurprisingly, it lasted less than 24 hours before completely dying on me. Absolutely ridiculous.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That graph looks like it's flipping me off for buying so many 3TB Seagate drives. (All dead except the one I bothered to RMA).

I had a few Samsung drives die on me too, one kinda my fault as they put the chips on the drive board facing out and it stuck out far enough for something to be clipped off when installing into a DAS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Probably the decision of the same guy who decided to write their app in java.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They always used to do very good sales at thanksgiving too. The software was my only bugbear, it was an absolute nightmare getting it off my Mac for some reason. It might be better now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Matt Zerella posted:

6TB drives, 1 parity drive, no ECC, no backups because idgaf if I lose my Linux isos.

This is kinda what I want to do in a QNAP box with around a $1,000 or so budget. 18TB online, 6TB parity. All the talk of '6TB volumes are too big for RAID5' has me a little worried, but I've never seen any articles using hard data. Does such a thing exist for failure rates when restoring from parity in this kind of array?

As you, it's data I'd like to keep because it's a hassle to sort it all out again when replacing a drive, but it's not crucial to my life enough that spending even more on hardware (ie something that holds more than 4 bays with just as little CJing, more than 4 drives to create more parity) doesn't seem a good investment.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The gods know I have no spending money, dammit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People on hardocp saying there's a cache difference if it was made in Taiwan or China apparently. Taiwan is double, I got a China one from a store today because I'm a sucker for a deal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

eightysixed posted:

But just to be certain, before I throw down $1,000 - You literally just open the case, take out the drive, and pop it in to your server, plug and play style? :shobon:

Picture guide in the attachment of this first post:

https://hardforum.com/threads/180-8tb-wd-external-easystore-usb3-8tb-wd-red-inside.1930595/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it generally ok to run an external drive on a usb 3 hub? It's a powered Anker one, only has a soundcard on it, along with some flash drives and my mouse. No other drives.

I've run out of usb 3 ports on the back of my Mac mini due to other externals. At some point I'll get a NAS or similar as this will just be a Plex storage drive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DrDork posted:

Backblaze seems to be the only one still doing unlimited backup for ~$50/yr. There are some annoyances with using the client and setting it up, but it doesn't throttle and it supports large files, so it's the best option I'm aware of right now.

I thought BackBlaze would suit me fine, and ‘luckily’ I found out within a few months that nope, it’s absolute garbage.

I spent one of my Comcast ‘go over 1tb transfer without consequence’ months to do my main backup, and then not long after the hurricane hit so I powered down my stuff and moved it. I bring it back up a little later and the ssd has died, which is about 5% of my backup. I use Time Machine but lost a day or so, nothing major. BackBlaze informs me that the checksums between my machine and their backup are different, so they’re in ‘safety freeze’ and can no longer be dealt with. So I either leave that backup exactly as is and keep paying them, or I delete it and start again.

So I guess it’s fine if you have bandwidth to burn, like business lines but not a lot of people on US consumer lines, or you’re not really doing much transfer. I always hated the crash plan software but it wasn’t such an rear end as this. It knew I had multiple drives backed up, but a few files literally broke their entire system.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone know whether the 3.3v pin trick is generally needed when installing Easystore drives into a DAS? I have a Terramaster 500C that I'm going to shuck a few 8TB and a 10TB drive into tonight, but I don't have any kapton tape. Also just sounds like a pain in the rear end in general, so hoping this is more about installing them directly into PCs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Super quick and easy one I hope - can some USB C cables be garbage for data transfer speeds? Changed machine to one that has more thunderbolt ports than USB so makes sense to go usb c->thunderbolt for my DAS rather than regular rear end USB type A I was previously.

Found a cable that I came into possession somehow, but the speed is garbage. Like 30MB/sec even on the SSD drive. Only marking on the cable itself is that it supports Power Delivery. So maybe a cable only designed for charging and crap for speed

E: ah yes found a similar cable on amazon that looks like it’s only spec’d to USB 2.0, so back to the original cable until I need to move off it.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 24, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Charles posted:

I think the USB 2 cables have less connectors

Cheap bastards! Seems most of the ones I see on Amazon are like that. Luckily I’m in no rush, I’ll grab one further down the line when I can be bothered to look properly. My speeds are back and I’m happy enough with running everything else off a powered hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do any Mac users know of any health monitoring software that works for drives in a DAS connected via USB-C? I’m guessing there’s not really anything particularly useful but just in case. I have everything backed up to backblaze anyway, but any kind of heads up that there’s an issue with a drive rather than waking up to something being offline is useful.