Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Magic quotes weren\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t ever a good idea hth

what the gently caress are you talking about they were awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
If it was a multi-line regex, it could potentially not be empty, provided ox was handled completely different from every other token.

See: Using ^ and $ as Start of Line and End of Line Anchors

But, they're not multiline regexes, somebody just doesn't know how to regex. Also unless I missed something, they'll pluralize "table" as "tablels" (e: oh derp mistook 1 for l. whatever, it's still a dumb idea). If they missed something that basic, no doubt they've missed plenty more. Auto-pluralization is the dumbest god-drat idea since strcpy().

wellwhoopdedooo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 13, 2011

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Smugdog Millionaire posted:

Is this true? If so, that's just amazingly awful.

Hey guys! Let's use a nearly-the-same syntax, and make it mean different things than everything else that uses the syntax! Yeah! And then we can go suck each other's cocks over how you can write it once and run it anywhere and isn't it great that our language is so loving PURE! OHHH GOD gently caress YEAH UNNNNNNG

gently caress Java, gently caress it forever and ever. I would rather write an AJAX version of Office 2010 in PHP 3 than write one line of code in Java.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

NotShadowStar posted:

I believe the trifecta of things that have perpetually held back technological progression so far have been PHP, Java/Sun, and Windows.

I would rather write an app in Java than PHP any single day, anytime. The syntax is loving atrocious, you need an IDE to get over the repetitive bullshit, but you can kind of bend it to your will. At the very least you can track down what the hell is going on in Java through some hosed up class hierarchy, rather than the gigantic Goldberg machine mess of global everything that most PHP projects are. Spend a week trying to work with Drupal and you'll see.

Well one condition of my angrypost was that I'd get to write one all by my self. If my choice was to extend or bugfix an in-use Java or PHP app I'd just go gas myself and be done with it.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Zombywuf posted:

So it is. The real horror is labelling graphs that way.

oh no you didn't just diss logarithmic scales. How dare you sir.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

TRex EaterofCars posted:

I know it's a common one, but after staring at a 3000 line class with 100+ lines of imports, then seeing this poo poo:
code:
private Float getOrderTax()
I... am going to stop working for now.

Eh, governments are usually pretty understanding about accumulated rounding errors.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

TasteMyHouse posted:

I think he was referring to the fact that it is a private getter method?

I'll take private getters over money in floats any day of the week.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

TRex EaterofCars posted:

The "private getter" is a function of how loving large this class is. Seriously, lines 3-106 are imports.

While being pissed about that I ran into the money as float thing I posted and it took the rest of the wind out of my sails :(

Yeah, I get same thing here, and when I run into something that's just hosed on a conceptual level, to where I know it's wrong everywhere and there's tons of code that depend on it being wrong so "fixing" it would involve either practically rewriting everything or putting in enough simulations of wrongness that it's effectively just as broken as it ever was, and even if I was feeling masochistic enough to do either one I'd have to do it on overtime because I'd never get approval for the extra time because there's no "business case" for it other than "it won't make everything that touches it worse", I get bummed right out and it gets hard to even think of working anymore.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Sorry, I'm new to this: can you give an example?

Go try to implement the auto-expanding textboxes in Facebook, where the text can be round-tripped (typed->saved to disk->displayed all the same). You'll run into enough that you don't want to play anymore before you get one browser done.

If you do manage to get one done, go paste a Word doc into it. WHAT THE gently caress :argh: (I know that's the way it's supposed to work ... now ... but man that poo poo was infuriating, because I was writing it for people who were going to do exactly that.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

MEAT TREAT posted:

code:
DefaultMessageHandlerFactoryImpl
:wtc: Java

Ugh, this is literally every line of code produced by someone here who doesn't let our product being built in C# stop him from writing it in Java.

code:
class DefaultAbstractMethodContainingClassFactoryFactoryImplementationDelegateImplementation
{
}
I've always hated the mere scent of Java so I've never bothered to learn it, but from what I can tell, the motto is:

Java: If it's not meaningless, it's not abstract enough.

Also,
Java: The measure of your code is the count of "design patterns" used.

Either of these happen in any language, but I've never seen them embraced so wholeheartedly as in the Java community.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

fishmech posted:

Wikipedia says: "It should also be noted that Wozniak did not have any software development tools for the 6502 processor other than an assembly language reference manual, and instead wrote out the software with pen and paper and then hand assembled the instructions into raw machine code for the 6502." and links to http://apple2history.org/history/ah03.html

I'm not saying that's not impressive, because it is, but there's a slight difference between writing single-user software for an 8-bit, maybe 2 MHz processor and the multi-user, massively threaded, insanely complex software of today running on the multi-core within-an-order-of-magnitude-of-the-sun's-energy-density behemoths we have now.

Even if you could do something like that today, it would be a very, very dumb way to write software.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Am I missing something or are you dudes hating on the coalesce operator?

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Broken Knees Club posted:

Yes, but C# is a good language.

boosh

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Hey, on average it saves 4 bits per indentation level per line. That's nothing to sneeze at.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

dietary supplement posted:

Same here. Not sure about 'modern' editors like notepad++ or what sane IDE's use, but in VIM you can set it up to present the user with tabs/spaces editing while internally everything is spaces; so you end up with the best of all possibly worlds.

What? From what I've seen, it's the worst of both possible worlds. Maybe I just have it configured wrong, but it always does this poo poo:

code:
int main (int    argc,
..........char** argv, // I press enter here, and
--->--->..char** envp) // Next line is horseshit
Do you have a config that doesn't do that but still inserts a tab when you hit tab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

shrughes posted:

The essence of inheritance is that it defines a conversion function from one type to another

No, the essence of inheritance is that SubClass is a BaseClass. The conversion is done by pointer offsets or other aliasing methods, not conversion functions. You are high.