Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003
int newNum = Utils.PrestoChango(x);

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003
OK, so I've been on a big refactoring kick at work much to my lazy slacker coworkers chagrin. I swear I just found a case of a developer feud personified in code. There are these classes that look like they started out simple enough, then each of them starts subclassing and modifying the base, leading to a clusterfuck of similarly named types repeated in 3 different projects with different interfaces. I thought at most we had two, but this subclassing interfacing war took 4 other classes with it. I spent 3 hours just figuring out what the hell was going on and then separating out the classes.

Oh and then there's the guy who thinks everything is a "manager" so, he subclasses, say, employee, and calls it "employee manager" *adds 4 fields*

Another guy who no longer works here apparently decided to practice his design patterns and created an interface, a virtual base, and then 8 concrete implementations of it so he could

... copy text from a datarow...

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

Janin posted:

The bug's somewhere else, not in that code. Performance issues aren't

"It is what it is, don't make unnecessary changes or something might break"

This is the place with thousand-line long unit tests. Caring about quality just isn't a part of the culture.

They pay well :unsmith:

They have Unit Tests. That's more than most places.

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003
switch is awful and is the wrong thing to use 95% of the time

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003
Regular expression can be amazing things, but more likely than not, you'll forget the syntax after you've moved on, so maintaining them is a real pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

quadreb posted:

"Moved on"? Regular expressions are an integral part of modern business programming.

Business programming?