Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
IMDB: http://imdb.com/title/tt0758758/

Into the Wild is an amazing film, beautiful in both presentation and content. Directed by Sean Penn (who also wrote the screenplay), this adaptation of a true story takes you through a white-water raft's worth up emotional ups and downs, while showing you some of the true beauty of America.

The movie recounts Chris McCandless's (played exquisitely by Emile Hirsh) transformation from an Emory University student to Alexander Supertramp, wanderer. Inspired by Tolstoy, London and Kerouac, to name a few, Alex traverses the many beautiful wonders of the United States, from the untamed wilderness to the great plains, all with the ultimate goal of taking on a Great Alaskan Adventure. Along with the actual physical journey, Alex travels journeys through the stages of life.

Along the way, Alex meets many colorful characters who shape his journey. The acting from these supporting characters is top notch and I found myself having an emotional connection with all of them as they journeyed in and out (and sometimes back in again) of Alex's life. I especially liked Catherine Keener as Jan Burres.

The camerawork sucks you into the film and you really get the feeling that you're going on this journey with Alex. The locations are brilliant and authentically displayed at a level equal to any National Geographic nature show. While the jumping timeline is difficult to get used to at first and at times you aren't sure if the movie is in its past or its present, as the film goes on these transitions start to feel seamless. The soundtrack is great, including some classic road tunes, along with a score that contains original lyrics by Eddie Vedder. Perhaps not the most obvious of choices to chronicle a journey into the wild, but yet he manages to truly vocalize the ups and downs of the journey (and considering this movie was based upon events from the 90s, it is fitting that someone from that era did the lyrics, although don't worry, no grunge music here).

Perhaps the best part of the movie is that it is in fact a true story, and thus the character's motivations remain true. Especially refreshing, is that Chris's motivations or actions are not exaggerated to increase sympathy and at times you can see failings of his character, or places where he might have made better choices-yet-as the film goes on, you start to understand how he could have walked no other path. The film's end was gripping and left me squirming in my seat at the gripping and harsh reality. The message and lessons he learned were profound and truly made me think about my own life.

Easily my favorite movie out of 2007, I can't recall the last time I came out of a movie with this sort of feeling-or so much to think about. If you're lucky enough to live somewhere that this is still playing in the cheap theaters, go see it, it deserves to be seen on a wide screen. If not, this should be a rental as soon as available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binkmeister
Jun 1, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just watched this. This along with Million Dollar Baby is the only movie I've seen in a long time that made me actually cry and think very, very deeply about the message behind the film. Supertramp's transitions, and I mean all of them - the physical journey ones, the learning the meaning of life ones, etc - all stuck to me very strong and I have taken from this film so much of a learning of my own self.

As a film this is loving beautiful. The whole thing is just so serene and beautiful; it really sucks you into the feeling that Supertramp was looking for in Alaska: a natural living of the land where everything and everyone is genuine and truly happy. Every actor, even Vince Vaughn the big name star used to attract viewers did a beyond-stellar job and earned my heart for all of them (cheesy I know but trust me, it's true). Honestly, I could go on and list the usual topics of a great movie, but all of them are checked off for Into the Wild.

What really got me was just the learning of what happiness really is and the people he meets and the lives he changes. In fact the exact moment I just turned into a leaky garden hose was when he's dying from the poisonous plant in the present and there's quick flashes to the lives of all the people he lived with on his journey. The true and genuine relationships he had with these people are something that I wish I could someday have but I know that in the world of today, in the metropolitan lifestyle it's hard to come by something so close as that. I was just in tears (and I still choke up like a bitch thinking about it) realizing that Supertramp was such a good person and he was able to change people's lives just by listening to them and helping them out for a couple of weeks.

Enough of me telling why I'm crying. Just watch this movie; it will make you reflect on your relationships in life and how you live your life in general.

Definately 5.5 / 5

Agentfortune
Jan 30, 2007

Now you see it, now you don't...Now you do again.. ha ha!
This film depicts a 'journey' in every sense of the word, physical, spiritual and emotional. It is the first time in a long time that I have been truly moved by a film.

Beautifully shot, impeccable acting (even Vince Vaughn) and great script, by the end of the movie I felt like I had genuinely learned something about life.

Chris McCandless' transformation into Alexander Supertramp is a joy to watch. The transition from 'seeker' to the realisation of what true happiness is comes from human experiences gained throughout an epic journey across the United States. This journey introduces us to people Alex meets on his travels, and tells of the influence he has on their lives, and ultimately their influence on his own.

It is backed up by a soundtrack that fits perfectly with the look and feel of the film. Eddie Vedder has done a fine job creating the right sound for what is essentially a heart wrenching road movie.

Location wise, it really captures the gritty feel of the back country. You understand the loneliness of the wild, and the value of company when you chance upon it.

Great film, highly recommended.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 170 days!
Compelling, highly emotional and a a joy to watch. Emile Hirsch's portrayal is Spot-on and even Vince Vaughn was amazing. This is a 2 and a half hour film but it never feels tedious or overdrawn. I'd highly reccomend this film to just about anyone.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
This movie was extremely well-done. The characters were compelling, especially Vince Vaughn who had a brief role. The back-and-forth flashback-style narrative worked very well for this film, and I thought Sean Penn's cinematography brought a lot to the film.

Unfortunately for me, at some point during this film the song "Common People" by Pulp popped into my head. Its the story of Jarvis Cocker meeting some rich dilettante who wants to "live like common people." The song a verse where no matter how much she emulates the poor people she'll never really know how it feels because she "can call her dad who can stop it all."

Once I realized that the character of Christopher came from a very well-off family, my sympathy for him evaporated. Its nice to be able to give away $25,000 to charity and become a bohemian wanderer because you're angry at your dad. Yet at any point in the film he could call his parents and they would be able to lift him out. This made it impossible for me to sympathize with the character, and at that point, I stopped caring about the film.

I give it a 4/5 for Sean Penn's talented directing abilities, and I take away a point for the main character being a spoiled rich tourist.