Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I had to drive a lot today but it was fun

I don't take very good pictures but that's OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
turn the front wheels the other direction next time :D

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BraveUlysses posted:

turn the front wheels the other direction next time :D

I knew you were supposed to do one of those but I couldn't remember which! poo poo!!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

blue BMW coupe is best BMW.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Throw some tint on it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Also, very good content from my regional group

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

I have a Bluetooth speaker in my car that I Velcro’d onto the roll cage :shobon:

I have a S65 V8 I like to hear instead sorry about your loss friend

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBv9kN2h0Ie/

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

spotted at the tire shop

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Tuned my new m3 yesterday. Should have just north of 500hp now. Probably the end of my modding? Catless down pipes only give another 30 or so, and then you have the headache (literally) of dealing with Catless down pipes.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I am certain that if I tuned from my laptop it would stop halfway through to update Windows and brick my ECU in several exciting ways.

Glad you made it!

Do a Burnout.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Big Jesus posted:

Tuned my new m3 yesterday. Should have just north of 500hp now. Probably the end of my modding? Catless down pipes only give another 30 or so, and then you have the headache (literally) of dealing with Catless down pipes.

I got a crank bolt capture for peace of mind, I'd definitely suggest you do the same. Especially with the DCT.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

fknlo posted:

I got a crank bolt capture for peace of mind, I'd definitely suggest you do the same. Especially with the DCT.

I did see that and have considered it. Gotta find a shop that will install it since I don't have poo poo for tools up here

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Big Jesus posted:

I did see that and have considered it. Gotta find a shop that will install it since I don't have poo poo for tools up here

I had a BMW/Volvo shop that hasn't done jack poo poo with any F80's do mine. It took them longer than I thought it would but they called their supplier for the item and they said that their time wasn't abnormal. I didn't even think of checking with them to order it since they aren't a tuner shop. Basically any decent shop should be able to handle it. It doesn't look too bad, I'm just really lazy and don't have the best space for working on vehicles right now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Satin-finish wrap done, also powder coat on the wheels

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Data Graham posted:

:worship:

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I've been driving my friend's 2013 328i on the reg and I've fallen in love with the BMW experience. On the market now looking for a used 335i w/ M sport trim but they're really hard to find!

I've heard that the newer 335is have a surprising amount of body roll and give, and I really do enjoy the "tightness" of the 328i so I'm open to both.

Found this one https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/san-francisco-2015-bmw-328ix-xdrive-low/7136390618.html

I like it and it's conveniently located, but seems pricier for the model and year. What do you folks think?

My budget is up to 25K or so, ideally private party.

Also is there a AI discord?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Data Graham posted:

That is a loving beautiful car

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

theDOWmustflow posted:

I've been driving my friend's 2013 328i on the reg and I've fallen in love with the BMW experience. On the market now looking for a used 335i w/ M sport trim but they're really hard to find!

I've heard that the newer 335is have a surprising amount of body roll and give, and I really do enjoy the "tightness" of the 328i so I'm open to both.

Found this one https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/san-francisco-2015-bmw-328ix-xdrive-low/7136390618.html

I like it and it's conveniently located, but seems pricier for the model and year. What do you folks think?

My budget is up to 25K or so, ideally private party.

Also is there a AI discord?

Are you firm on the desire for >2013 model year? E9X 328 uses a great NA inline-6. Throw an exhaust on that and you can be sounding like an S54. By contrast the F-chassis 328 moved to turbo inline-4 with auto start stop mandated (can be coded out,) however IMO it left a lot to be desired and introduced significant engine vibration. The turbo inline-4 does receive good feedback for reliability however, although I can’t recall many complaints about the NA inline-6. N54 however, has its, uh moments.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Yeah, I'm not married to the newer 4 cylinder 328s, but I like the convenience and quality of life improvements in newer cars (rear cam, keyless start, digital display, dumb creature comfort stuff like that). Hence why I'm looking for newer used 335s for a strong dose of performance.

But it seems like the newer 4 cylinders out perform the inline 6s? Do the E9*s 328s have more tune potential?

If I'm looking at the E9* gen I'd lean more into the performance side so M3s are game, too. Looking into that now.

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 28, 2020

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I had to drive a lot today but it was fun

I don't take very good pictures but that's OK

Long Beach Blue Bros

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If I see somebody on Facebook asking about a 2009 328i convertible should I warn them to stay away? Automatic, 75k. Does it suffer from GDCS?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

theDOWmustflow posted:

Yeah, I'm not married to the newer 4 cylinder 328s, but I like the convenience and quality of life improvements in newer cars (rear cam, keyless start, digital display, dumb creature comfort stuff like that). Hence why I'm looking for newer used 335s for a strong dose of performance.

But it seems like the newer 4 cylinders out perform the inline 6s? Do the E9*s 328s have more tune potential?

If I'm looking at the E9* gen I'd lean more into the performance side so M3s are game, too. Looking into that now.
If you want the convenience stuff, you can slap one of these into any e9x with iDrive, and get CarPlay, front and rear cameras, etc etc. They all have push-button start. The only thing I wish it had is a blind spot warning, but I think there are aftermarket thingys for that too.

The 328 E9x comes with the N52, an NA straight six. It's just a bit faster than your average 2.0T you'd get in an A4 or whatever, but it is naturally aspirated, and incredibly fun to drive, as well as being a very reliable engine. You have to pour a lot of money into it to make it faster, though.
Some 328s in low emissions states came with the N51, which is slightly different but has a bunch of problems. The flipside to that is a bunch of parts in the engine and exhaust are covered for 15 years/150,000 miles. Google "SULEV warranty" for some more info about that.

The 335 E9x comes with the N54 through 2010, and N55 thereafter. The N54 is very tunable but also a basket case that will poo poo the bed on you in myriad expensive ways. The N55 is supposed to be slightly less bad in this regard.

The M3 is an M3 and you want it.

I love my E92 and it will be pried from my cold, dead, gloved hands.

Charles posted:

If I see somebody on Facebook asking about a 2009 328i convertible should I warn them to stay away? Automatic, 75k. Does it suffer from GDCS?
If it has a clean history (autocheck AND carfax,) I don't see why it should be stayed away from, apart from the fact it's missing a pedal. The water pump and thermostat will indeed go, so see if those have been replaced recently and if not, FCP euro. Also should definitely get a PPI from a reputable place that knows BMWs.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 28, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Thank you!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh is it the GM automatic or the ZF? Is the GM one okay?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Data Graham posted:

What brand and color is this?

I had a deal with myself to wrap my E90 if I kept it for 3 years. I thought I was doing good on that but I drove an i8 before COVID hit and I was surprised how much I liked it. Weird doors, weird engine, ~15 miles electric range, and barely usable back seats check all of the boxes. It would be my first auto but switching between electric and sport mode was actually a lot of fun. Very different personalities. And the 2014/2015 models years are just getting silly cheap. I plan to be oblivious to any reliability issues they might have.

I was watching the reveal video for the Koenigsegg Jesko and I thought how perfect an idea it was and how it was too bad there wasn't a more affordable version of that. Then the i8 idea hit me like a ton of bricks, now I can't get it out of my head. Once my youngest goes to a front-facing seat I may end up seriously looking at one.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I thought I found an interesting craigslist offering for a 335i, but the guy had an @mention in a watermark that I don't think he expected me to lookup. Followed the trail to find the douchiest instagram profile. From the posts and comments he's either had an engine rebuild or got an entirely new engine because a rod bearing broke (post claims it's from "previous owner using wrong oil"), and also the turbo chargepipes blew, too.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/7143676035.html

Post about needing a new engine: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv2YMljJUrs/?igshid=epgo60ylmzd

When an engine gets replaced (done at a dealer) is there any way to tell if it's good or not? Vehiclehistory.com shows clean. Is it worth negotiating given the history, or is this a walk away situation?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Don't walk, run.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Don't walk, run.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah if the engine replacement wasn't disclosed by the seller, there's a reason.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Charles posted:

Oh is it the GM automatic or the ZF? Is the GM one okay?

It's okay just uninspired. Like, it functions but it's not really an enthusiast transmission. I forget if it can be tuned at all.

Kotex's write up on the lines/engines is spot on imo. I liked the N52 cars quite a bit, very linear power band. My current N55 has a lot more oomph, but some parts are definitely disconnected compared to the E90 cars. It's a trade off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I love my N55 and I shout it every day in the hopes that it hears me and doesn't break anything.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Alarbus posted:

It's okay just uninspired. Like, it functions but it's not really an enthusiast transmission. I forget if it can be tuned at all.

Kotex's write up on the lines/engines is spot on imo. I liked the N52 cars quite a bit, very linear power band. My current N55 has a lot more oomph, but some parts are definitely disconnected compared to the E90 cars. It's a trade off.

Thanks, the question is more for somebody like "ooh convertible for a reasonable price" than an AI type person.

Yeah there was an N52 in the family for a while, but with the ZF auto. I love the sound and feel of an I6, can't complain about that, and that transmission (the ZF) was good for an automatic too. I remembered the water pump failing but clicking the ? under my name showed that the thermostat did too! Hehe.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I have thoroughly enjoyed my 2009 335i convertible for the few weeks I've owned it. It has even been assembled and driven 75% of those weeks!

Using the word "uninspired" is very apt for the ZF. Flappy paddles do in a pinch when the mood strikes you, but it's otherwise... Adequate. If your friend is OK putting in hours of affectionate swearing/paying lots of money to shops, then they'll have a wonderful time. If it's going to be their sole means of transportation then do a bunch of preventative procedures and pray.

They are delightful cars and I love my n54, but I know we're going to continue come to blows and I'm at peace with that.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Oops quote is not edit

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

What brand and color is this?

Avery Dennison SW900, satin carmine red.

This stuff's come a long way in the last few years. Still working on those mirrors though, they're not easy :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did you do it yourself?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ssssort of. My business partner's setting up to be able to do this stuff as a shop offering, so this is a guinea-pig car. I'm helping! :kiddo:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I've always wanted to do this but doesn't it basically always have to be garaged and also falls off in a few years?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Evidently not, it's supposed to basically be as durable as clearbra.

We have a wrapped van (printed) that's still in more or less the same shape it was in ~2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Data Graham posted:

We have a wrapped van (printed) that's still in more or less the same shape it was in ~2014.
...printed with what?