Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I ended up going with this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K-DCAN...872.m2749.l2649

I'm sure it is actually identical to the Amazon one, but hey, at least this way Amazon doesn't get a cut. Also, something about paying a few dollars more plays psychological tricks on me making me feel like it will be more skookum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it's a crapshoot whether you get one that works with those cables. I bought one a couple years ago and it was able to read codes with an app on my phone. I just wish more apps worked with a cable instead of relying on a bluetooth dongle.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I think it's a crapshoot whether you get one that works with those cables. I bought one a couple years ago and it was able to read codes with an app on my phone. I just wish more apps worked with a cable instead of relying on a bluetooth dongle.

Yeah, the problem is that some phones handle the networking aspect differently. Nexus/Pixel phones don't allow you to manually change the network settings (in theory coming with the next os release?) and iphones are weird about it. I ended up getting xDelete working with the wifi obd2 adapter. =/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have an older carly dongle that my pixel 2 won't connect to at all. I don't want to spend 50 dollars on their newer dongle and risk it still not working. It works with my older phone.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I have an older carly dongle that my pixel 2 won't connect to at all. I don't want to spend 50 dollars on their newer dongle and risk it still not working. It works with my older phone.

Yeah, it doesn't help that some of the companies check to see if it's their specific adapter. I bought the black wifi MHD adapter for the F chassis, and it works great with bimmercode, but it's $70. Annoying.

Specifically with a nexus 6, a pixel 2 and a pixel 4, I couldn't use the usb->ethernet->obd2 setup.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Here's a dumb question. On the E46 there is a bracket attached to the front shocks that holds the brake line and abs sensor line. There is also a another identical bracket for the same function mounted to the frame inside the wheel well.

From the factory these lines had orings on them that allowed the lines to sit cleanly in the brackets I mentioned previously.

Does anyone know where I can buy these bastards? Looking at parts fishes hasent been a fruitful venture thus far.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Diametunim posted:

Here's a dumb question. On the E46 there is a bracket attached to the front shocks that holds the brake line and abs sensor line. There is also a another identical bracket for the same function mounted to the frame inside the wheel well.

From the factory these lines had orings on them that allowed the lines to sit cleanly in the brackets I mentioned previously.

Does anyone know where I can buy these bastards? Looking at parts fishes hasent been a fruitful venture thus far.

Seems the keyword you want is ‘grommet’.

Not sure this exactly what you’re talking about, but you get the idea.

On a different note, I got my air springs in, no leaks, maybe 45 [minutes] per side.

glyph fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 21, 2020

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

glyph posted:

Seems the keyword you want is ‘grommet’.

Not sure this exactly what you’re talking about, but you get the idea.

On a different note, I got my air springs in, no leaks, maybe 45 [minutes] per side.

Jesus I'm special. Thank you glyph.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Chassis beam on the blue e30 rotted away from the engine wall. Went for donor car, came back with a decent body (rear arches rusted but the rest is okay) red 1990 e30 with a knocking m40b16.
Is there a cure for my illness?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How much does it cost to ship a parts car to Scandinavia from the us. We have lots of rust free cars

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Its a customs nightmare that will cost shy of e30 m3s here.
Also wheres fun in that :D

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

tried to replace the trunk emblem on my e92 today but I can't get the fucker to sit flush. theres probably a half inch gap between the emblem and the trunk lid. if I pressed it any harder I feel like I'll dent in the body work. anyone else run into this problem?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Is that the metal backed one with adhesive, not the the version with the injection molded back, right?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

tried to replace the trunk emblem on my e92 today but I can't get the fucker to sit flush. theres probably a half inch gap between the emblem and the trunk lid. if I pressed it any harder I feel like I'll dent in the body work. anyone else run into this problem?

Sounds like it's totalled and you should buy an M3

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jymmybob posted:

Is that the metal backed one with adhesive, not the the version with the injection molded back, right?
it's this one, exact replacement for the one i had, i checked the P/N.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i am pretty sure that's the wrong part, you want a 51148219237. you have the front roundel. you should also replace the grommets that hold the badge in place. 51148209932, you need two.

double check this because i don't know your VIN or precise car information but that's what the BMW catalog spits out for a E90 LCI 335ix. I doubt it changed over the lifecycle but all things are possible.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Is there a cool deep red/cherry color in BMW catalog that is akin to how san marino looks among other blue colors?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Melbourne or Imola Red are probably your best bets.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i am pretty sure that's the wrong part, you want a 51148219237. you have the front roundel. you should also replace the grommets that hold the badge in place. 51148209932, you need two.

double check this because i don't know your VIN or precise car information but that's what the BMW catalog spits out for a E90 LCI 335ix. I doubt it changed over the lifecycle but all things are possible.
i ordered a 51147146051, which is exactly what came off the trunk:

the grommets I have are 51141807495 though, i suppose they could be the wrong ones.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
imola is fantastic but not metallic

melbourne is nice too but its more orange than imola

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Imola is fuckin cooooool

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

i ordered a 51147146051, which is exactly what came off the trunk:

the grommets I have are 51141807495 though, i suppose they could be the wrong ones.

Did you put the grommets in first, then push the badge into them / onto the car?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Just smash it in. I’m pretty sure mine felt like I was bending the metal. But it’s still there

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Did you put the grommets in first, then push the badge into them / onto the car?

This, grommets go in the car first, not on the badge.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

meatpimp posted:

I did indeed

also:

Bape Culture posted:

Imola is fuckin cooooool

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 26, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah just get violent with it, sounds like you are fine

imola is good. mine has some rock chips and scratches, and a little bit of peeling clearcoat. debating about what to do about it. it's gotten one repaint on pax side already which was done very well.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i have a similar situation, rock chips, some peeling clear, and a very peeling rear bumper. afraid its gonna cost big $$$ especially with the le mans blue.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm just gonna shell out for a full repaint once I inevitably gently caress up one of the covers more or if the clear peels off the roof more. The first one lasted 20 years, with luck I can get the same out of a good quality paint job.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

i have a similar situation, rock chips, some peeling clear, and a very peeling rear bumper. afraid its gonna cost big $$$ especially with the le mans blue.

The fancy place here on the Mainline outside of Philly billed my insurance for $650 to repaint the black sapphire metallic rear bumper after it was damaged by a 1982 Broughammer camper van.

Edit: the paint matches perfectly.

I've had japanrot (electric red) and Barbera red E90s. Imola and hellrot (bright red) are better colors, I think, but mostly I just miss having a red car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

At least Imola doesn't have flake so that's one thing the paint guy can't screw up. I'm not too OCD about cars in terms of cleanliness or anything like that but god drat I had a repaint panel on the focus that was 99.5% good and really only turbo paint :spergin: like me would notice but it pissed me off in direct sunlight.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I'm going to paint it myself :sun:
Imola seems almost ferrari-ish red.

Is this one a standard bmw color?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
probably a wrap

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
If you are going to paint it yourself, have you considered going with a non-factory color?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What do you call it when you own one of the greatest handling cars ever made and still fantasize about the sound of that strong E90 V8 pushing you back in to the seat on a test drive last year? :ohdear:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Residency Evil posted:

What do you call it when you own one of the greatest handling cars ever made and still fantasize about the sound of that strong E90 V8 pushing you back in to the seat on a test drive last year? :ohdear:

Inevitable.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Residency Evil posted:

fun car and daily driver

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Residency Evil posted:

Joining the church of Ether Frenzy and Somewhat Heroic will cure you of your past sins.

Been telling you a holes for years this is the right move. Prices/availability/condition are the sweet spot right now and probably won’t be for long as they begin to enter fourth+ owners on history and most are above 100k miles.

I looked at first year F80’s on the local classifieds and wow have those prices fallen dramatically.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

if i had e92 m3 money sitting around, this is absolutely the moment in which i'd pull the trigger.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I looked at first year F80’s on the local classifieds and wow have those prices fallen dramatically.

F82's have absolutely cratered. F80's seem to be holding up a bit better with quite a few 2015's still being listed for around what I paid last year. I still absolutely love mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

fknlo posted:

F82's have absolutely cratered. F80's seem to be holding up a bit better with quite a few 2015's still being listed for around what I paid last year. I still absolutely love mine.

Oh yeah. I haven't even looked at the prices of those because I would literally never consider buying them. The F80 looks so much better in comparison, and anyone wanting a nut stomping 2 door from Welt should just get the M2.

Not much in the way of cheap ones for sale right now but:

2016 M4 DCT 29K miles $36,000 Terrible photos and even worse description but if truly a clean title then hilariously cheap.
2015 Yas Marina M3 Manual, 48K miles $36K This is cheaper than I paid for my E90 3 1/2 years ago with just about 6K more miles.
2015 Yas Marina M3 DCT 42K miles $35K I would honestly probably have picked this up over my E90 if something like this was available when I was shopping. Most of them were $50K+ when I was shopping though.

At least each of these have the carbon roof.