Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ultimate Mango posted:

That gearstick looks weird as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Russian Bear posted:

I've been trying to figure this out for a while and haven't come up with anything, but what does "WOT" stand for?

Wide open throttle.

EDIT: gently caress!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Guinness posted:

The usual method of testing the slippage of a clutch is to drive about 25-30mph, then shift into your highest gear (5th, 6th, whatever). Now floor the accelerator. If your engine speed starts rising but your vehicle speed does not, congrats, your clutch is on its way out.

Actually the real test is putting the engine in its powerband in a higher gear. Usually 3rd. THEN flooring it. If it can hold everything together under peak engine power THEN you can say your clutch is AOK.

5th-6th at 30mph is what ~2,000rpm? Which the engine is making sub 100ft/lbs of torque? Testing to see if the clutch can handle full torque loads is a better test.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

wintyfresh posted:

shows no signs of quitting.

Your not kidding. That's awesome. More pictures?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Pilsner posted:

Is that the brake booster way at the front? Is there a pushrod from the firewall all the way to it?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Real Life posted:

sDrive35is

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/12/embargo-12-12-09-6pm-est-detroit-preview-bmw-to-unveil-faster/

the only interesting thing about this car is it's electronic parking brake.

No more handbrake turns?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
After being let down by the IS300's drive by wire throttle, I've started looking at E46s again.

There is a ZAM (ZHP for Canadians) near me. But one thing that really bothers me is that non M BMWs never got LSDs.

Is there a good drop in LSDs for E46 non M cars? Are they megabux? Do they perform well? I plan on tracking/racing the car, and potentially driving it in the snow. And LSDs are a huge help in all of those areas.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What bad things happen to an E46 around 100k miles?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

Personally I couldn't keep my ZHP when I knew I'd be better off just getting an e36 m3, which is exactly what I did.

Don't E36 M3s have clutch type LSDs? What's their typical life span?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'd still like to see a spreadsheet showing how a 2002 E46 330 and 2002 Camry stack up for year by year 2002-2013 expenses.

More interestingly, I'd like to see it compared to an IS300 of the same year. As far as I can tell IS300s seem to need nothing other than timing belts every once and a while. So you just buy em and drive em... No cooling system nonsence.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

BlackMK4 posted:

Until you drive an IS300... dear god. I always wanted one of those things until I drove one.

Oh my god I drove one today.

I'm no longer looking at them.

How do you make throttle response THAT BAD.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Cojawfee posted:

How bad is it? Is there a sport mode? Or is it terrible while in sport mode? I know my car has terrible and annoying throttle response when just in drive and not sport or manual.

On some cars there is a snow mode. Which makes it even more numb.

Something like the first 45% of throttle is electronic, and other part cable. I've read countless forum threads and reviews panning it. I didn't think it would be nearly as bad as it was.

But that first half of travel is extremely slow to respond. I could tap the gas (enough that would send my stock Miata to 3k for an easy rev match) and NOTHING would happen. It almost felt broken. Sharp movements would be completely filtered out. So any quick pedal movements were not responded to by the engine. Launching was easy, since you could be brutal with the throttle, and it would all get filtered out. But the minute you try any kind of revmatch, it falls on it's face.

A friends IS250 has a pretty numb throttle. With some latency. But way less numb/slow than the IS300. I sat in an BRZ again to remind myself and it does a fairly good job of mimicking a traditional cable throttle.

To summarize, all driven back to back within 15 minutes;
-IS300 M/T - Terrible latency and throttle input filter characteristics. Needed big inputs to just get tip in.
-IS250 M/T - Passable latency and throttle input filter characteristics. Didn't need much input to get tip in. Not that great for competition driving, it would make a decent every day car.
-BRZ - Little to no throttle filter. Behaved much like a cable throttle. Little (if any) perceived latency.

Am now looking at 2Gen G35S Sedans.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How terrible are mid to high mileage E39 M5s to run?

EDIT: Do they really have clutch type LSDs from the factory?

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 6, 2013

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
They are getting cheap near me. Not THAT much more than ZHPs. They tend to have lower mileage than a ZHP too.

But on the other hand, tires/clutches/brakes will be hilariously expensive. And I'm not convinced that much car will be fun to drive on the street. Is the gearing on the long or short side? Youtube seems to show it reaching about 63mph in second. Which seems ok. I like shifting, so super tall gears would annoy me.

(Must stop thinking about an M5)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M/ETOBICOKE/Ontario/19_7353273_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

This seems overpriced. Should I bother going to see it?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'm doing this same thing this weekend. Accept a 97 3.2 Sedan.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Did US 3.2lt 1997 E36 M3s have electronic throttles? How does the ATS work?

Where is the clutch typically supposed to take up? Closer to the floor? Or mid pedal travel?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

SeņorMisterioso posted:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109

This is the go to thread for the E46 cooling system

Is there such a thing for E36s?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'll never get over the droopy door sills.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

And since it's been winter driven, make sure to check for the usual e36 rust spots.

Where are those?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Party Alarm posted:

You can swap an e60 M5 diff in an e82 as long as you have the driveshaft from the M5 and the axles from an e9X m3 :v:

(Also the e9X m3 diff with the same bits)

How does the 'active' part of it work? Are the brains self contained?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

If you ever hook up an OBD2 reader like torque, you can see what your actual speed is vs the speedometer.

That's still based on wheel speed if I remember right. Just boot up something that does GPS speed.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

revmoo posted:

Check the rear subframe mounts and look for frame damage pre-purchase (seriously check). Sunroof is an extremely costly part too so check that as well. If those three items check out it's almost certainly going to be an excellent car.

You can't do this without a lift right?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Can anyone who has E36 coupe/sedan experience want to comment on the rear seats in the E36 coupe?

I REALLY want an E36 M3 sedan, but there really aren't many around me. There are some coupes though. How useable are the seats when compared to the sedan?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Wow, impressive DIY fix. I didn't expect it to be that easy to be honest.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

revmoo posted:

Hi, I've actually owned both. It's the same in either car. Slightly cramped but definitely livable. The coupe and sedan are pretty much the exact same dimensions so it is really no use buying the sedan for legroom.

I thought the sedans were 3 in the back and coupes were 2 in the back? Or are they both the same?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
An E36 M3 is for sale near me. It's a coupe. (groan) And it's yellow. (Oh god tell me owning a yellow car isn't as bad as they say it is)

It has 110k miles. (189k km)

Curiously, the owner before the current one did pretty much all the maintenance that it should have done by this time.

quote:

In the spring of 2011 the previous owner had executed the following repair/replacements to the vehicle before it was stored:
· Removed and replace radiator with new OEM radiator
· Front Left and right lower control arm replacement with new OEM
· Front Left and right strut replacement with new OEM
· Replacement of both front and rear shock absorbers with new OEM
· Replacement of rear upper shock mounts with new OEM
· Replacement of lower outer rear control arm bushings with new OEM
· New Michelin Pilot Super Sport Rubber 245/40/17 rears, 225/45/17 fronts
· Four wheel computerize alignment and dynamic tire balancing
· Replacement of AC belt, idler pulley and tensioner with new OEM
· Replacement of Water pump with new OEM
· Replacement of Thermostat with new OEM
· Replacement of expansion tank with new OEM
· Replacement of all brake pads with new OEM

Anything missing here? Or is this one of the few cars not in maintenance debt?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I would actually prefer the M3. LSDs make a difference in the snow.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

BrokenKnucklez posted:

god drat, if you don't buy it, your dumb as gently caress (if your looking for an M3).

I put an offer in. It's being dropped off Monday and going straight into storage. Flurries are starting to happen. And it's never seen winter. Cutting it close. :ohdear:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oikDqgjI9jY

Why doesn't this work on my '98 E36 M3. :saddowns:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

It's called throw away that stupid angled throttle body.

Shouldn't that work though?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ziploc posted:

I put an offer in. It's being dropped off Monday and going straight into storage. Flurries are starting to happen. And it's never seen winter. Cutting it close. :ohdear:

Result. Delivered on a nice try day. Just before snow.

(My place doesn't have proper storage yet, so I'm temporarily reclaiming my old parking spot at my parents. My bike is still there too.)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Viper_3000 posted:

How dare you not post more pics of that beautiful thing.

You'll have to do with another photo from the initial viewing.

It's snowing like crazy now. And the M3 will be in hibernation till spring.

Looking to do the sub frame reinforcements (RTAB pocket and rear shock mount, maybe front subframe reinforcement) and potentially treadlock the oil pump nut. I want worry free track time.

Right now I'm looking to source some elipsoids as the original lenses are faded, and do some sort of bluetooth integration on a stock head unit. (C33 is what I have, am willing to go to C43) Would love some input on people's favorite solutions to both problems. I haven't come across any good solutions for blutooth integration on stockish headunits for E36s.

Oh, alcantara vaders. :smug: And an original bill of sale from new for 64k CDN. :lol: IN 1998 MONEY.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

For headlights, look on eBay for user "tainik". 400 to your door for OEM projectors with new lenses. He includes the connectors so you can buy an adapter kit from another site and create a true plug and play harness.

I wonder if the ZKWs have the uptick on the right for lighting up roadsigns.

Also, I hate you for pointing me to that store. Since I found this:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
That dude owes you some commission.

(Thanks for the info on the steering wheel)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

They do. Here is the light pattern from mine when I was testing the wiring. ZKW on the left, NA on the right. And the aiming is off because I just had the headlight sitting on top of the other one.

Do all ZKWs uptick on the right?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Tanik's lights are quite expensive.

I'm told DEPOs are worse quality than ZKWs. Which is made more confusing by people putting both DEPO and ZKW in the name. (Which one is it?)

For almost 400$ you would hope the PnP harness would be included. :(

What's the catch here? http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-99-BMW-E...5949bfb&vxp=mtr

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

revmoo posted:

Is there a legit path to hid on the e36? Obv it will never be DOT legal, but can it be done technically correct?

There are people retrofitting other HID projectors from other cars. In my ellipsoid research I came across a number of people fitting TSX projectors in there.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Anyone wire in bluetooth/handsfree into a CD43 or C33? I like stock looking things. My OCD likes everything to look the same and uniform.

There's like a million options, all with marginal success. DICE, GROM, Dension, Parot, etc. I just want simple A2DP and handsfree calling. Text and radio controls working (I have no steering controls) are bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How big of a pain is the R/R of door cards on an E36? Should I pre-emptively buy some door card clips?

Am I going to irreparably break expensive BMW plastic?