Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Ok I'm kinda a car newbie but after talking to my buddy (veetak here on SA) a good bit I'm pretty sure I'd like to (once I have a job again) buy a E36 BMW 325iC or 328iC. There's a number of really good-looking ones listed on Craigslist around Seattle usually between $7k-10k.

So my questions:

1. Is a fuel economy (of searching around the web a bit) of 20mi/gal street, 29mi/gal highway actually accurate?

2. Am I going to see a significant fuel difference between the 325iC and the 328iC?

3. Would it be worth it to spend a bit extra and see if I can find a E36 M3? How would that affect my gas mileage?

I know those are questions about gas mileage but I'm not using this as a daily commuter, I'm just wondering.

4. Am I required to use premium or supreme fuels for this?

5. As long as I'm taking good care of it how many miles can I expect to get out of the engine, and thus what's the max # of miles I should go for within the $7k-10k range? I've seen some with 75-100k miles but I saw one with 172k and that seemed kinda high.

I know these are stupid questions but I've never owned a car before and I think it's time to buy one and I want to be sure about things before I get one.

Here's an example of one of the ones I wish I could get right now: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1216461645.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Carbon Deity posted:

1. Pretty accurate, less in an M3 but mostly due to enthusiastic driving.
2. Nah.
3. Hell yeah!
4. M3: yes. 325/8: no.
5. 200k+, try and keep the mileage under 100k if possible. These cars run strong for a long time, especially when well maintained.

Personally, after driving and working with pretty much every variant of the E36, I have to recommend the M3. It's tremendously more fun! Also, a convertible top is a pretty big thorn in the performance of the M3, so if you're set on a soft top, just go with the 328.

Edit: Manual, manual, manual.
Excellent, thanks. I am set on a soft top because being in the North West I can't count on weather to not change from beautiful and sunny to rainy on any given day so removable hardtop isn't good enough, so 325/328 it is.

I'm absolutely not going to get an automatic. I hate automatic.
EDIT: oh christ I just realized that car I linked is an automatic.

EDIT2: oh god why are 3/4 of the ones on CL automatics?

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 15, 2009

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Ok, so I just got an awesome new job at Amazon.com and start in two weeks.

How does this car look:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1247270405.html

It's got 170k miles but looks beautiful... how many more miles would I expect it to last reliably? Or should I look for something with fewer miles on it? It's a 1995 325iC with a 1999 M3 body.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
:lol: so now I have 4 completely different opinions. No worries, that one will probably be gone before I get my first paycheck, so I'll keep looking around.
(to be honest I agree with the poster above me, I really like how the interior looks)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So I'm probably going to buy this:
http://www.sacramentoeuropean.com/detail.cfm?V=1999%20BMW%20M3%20Convertible%202D&ID=366762
I talked them down to $10,000. ('course, I'll have to fly down from Seattle).

Carfax is clean (it's linked from their site).

If I shouldn't do this, tell me now, but it's looking like the best deal I can get, and the ~800 miles back up to Seattle will be a pretty good vetting period to see how it's riding.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Drive the whole way back up the 101 till you hit Astoria. It's awesome.
Looks like I might have just snagged a different one locally for $8000--the one I test drove Sunday evening.
The guy is picking it up from the mechanic (had part of the radiator replaced or something) and they did a pre-sale inspection. I need to see the inspection result but he said the thing they'd mentioned is that it will need the shifter bushings replaced soon. He didn't know off-hand how much that would cost.

Anyone know how much it should cost to replace the shifter bushings on a '99 M3?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Crustashio posted:

If you can do it yourself, probably sub-100 to replace all the wear parts. I suggest adding in 25 bucks for fancy delrin carrier bushings, or getting your own machined.

For a shop? Probably double that, depending on what they think they need to pull. Bare minimum exhaust + heatshield removal, and they may want to drop the driveshaft as well, I'm not sure about access on an e36.
Oh, that's not bad at all then. Not entirely sure I can do it myself, but with the help of a friend I'm sure we can figure it out.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Ok, so I now own a black 1999 M3 Convertible (manual transmission).

Not bad for a first car I guess. :v:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 6, 2009

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Um, yeah, if I can ask a really stupid question: what grade of gas should I be putting in this thing? ('99 M3) I forgot to ask the guy I bought it from what he put in it and he's on a bike trip now.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Ha, my seat wear is way worse. I'm just going to get some seat covers. I could replace the seats but they are just seats...

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
jesus gently caress I love driving this car... especially now that I'm actually driving it correctly. (1999 M3 Conv 5spd)

So glad I bought this

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

pyrrhus posted:

Trouble is, he wants cash. No cashier's checks or anything. Actual cash.

That's a bunch of money to be carrying around.
Uh, what? He won't take a bank check? That's... really shady.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Overture posted:

Nice! I took it out for a test drive yesterday and good god I wasn't expecting that kind of power. It's almost scary. That said, I've been driving my girlfriends Xterra around for a year, so that may explain something.
Yeah I have a 1999 M3 (5spd, Conv) with a good bit over twice the mileage and the power is pretty crazy fun.

That is an amazing price for something with such low miles. Buy it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
From what little I know (and I am still learning, this is my first car) those are some very, very minor issues.

It's an absolute steal at the price.

Mine has the same issue with the airbag sensor oddly enough.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Jesus christ.
The video of that thing racing the M5 is crazy

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Before you do anything else try and make sure the coolant is filled and bled properly.

My 99 M3 did the same thing (would start overheating at slow speeds) for about two weeks after I bought it but once I took my time bleeding the radiator (it was a new radiator that the P.O. had just put in about a week beforehand and hadn't bled properly).

I haven't had an overheating problem since.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BossTweed posted:

Thanks for the information guys. The previous owner replaced the water pump, fan clutch, hoses, thermostat, thermostat housing and accessory belts at 37,000 miles (in 2006), and I'm at 68,000 now.

I don't have time to do the whole update right now, so I will look at topping off the coolant, bleeding the system, and replacing the temperature sensor/switch and see if that helps. I can reproduce it pretty easily it seems so I should be able to tell if it helps.

That's good to know about the coolant flow, I will get my wife to ref the engine for me, I was worried there for a minute. Thanks again.
The only thing you didn't mention was the radiator--these things have kinda lovely plastic radiators, so make sure yours is in good condition as well.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Just swapped out my valve cover gasket on my E36 M3 today (with a friend who was also swapping the valve cover gasket on his E36 M3 and who knew what he was doing). Seems to have solved my burnt oil problem entirely. First time I've ever done any real work on a car and I had the goddamn engine open. He was impressed that I was able to keep up with him and finish at the same time, just by watching what he was doing.

Pretty proud of myself. :v: Honestly not that much different from working in a computer except for a lot more oil I guess.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Gas Break Dip posted:

I am very interested in a certain '99 M3 in my favorite color that is basically my dream E36 and I need everyone's opinion. Is it worth the $13k he is asking considering the mileage? He says he has a lot of service records and that the interior is immaculate which judging from the pictures that seems true. To me the whole car looks very clean and apparently needs nothing.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363849

... and the two best parts? NO sunroof and it's completely bone stock. Also the Fern/Modena combo is pure sex. I already PM'ed him expressing interest as I will be needing a new car in about two weeks. I think I am about to be a very happy goon.
13k seems a bit high for an E36 M3 with 119k miles on it.

For comparison: I got my Black 1999 M3 5spd conv with 133k miles for 8k (talked the guy down from 9.6k). It had a few minor issues, the biggest which I've since fixed (for $35 + 2 hours of my time), but also had some nice mods on it (Dinan Cold Air Intake, Dinan chip reprogramming). The other one I'd been looking at was a flawless Silver 1999 M3 5spd conv with 124k miles for 10k.

Since the car is in such good condition (and is rare), maybe it's worth a bit more, but 13k just seems high.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Bleh. Looks like my valve cover gasket swap didn't do the trick. I'll have to take a look at the car after Christmas and see where it's leaking from. Hopefully it was just a screwup on my part not doing the sealant correctly or something.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

coq mixer posted:

I went and got an estimate to fix the damage from the state trooper incident.

:pwn:
Jesus, what kind of lovely insurance do you have?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

crutt posted:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1525610385.html

I might go check this out later today- anything I should look out for? what should I offer?

http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=55

Assuming it's in the condition that craigslist ad claims, that's a pretty fair price.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Robawesome posted:

I'd definitely prefer something newer, and looking at them I think I would prefer a 5 or 3 series to the 7. I know BMW has a reputation for durability but I'd still prefer an 01 or newer, probably E36. I'm looking anywhere between $5-15,000 CAD, and would prefer to shop locally (Ottawa area) but could travel within Ontario if necessary. Any particular favourite between a 325, 328, 330?

ninja edit: I think I'd prefer a 4 door to a 2 door or convertible.
E36 are 1999 and older 3-series.
Do you mean E46?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So, I'm starting to think that the oil leaking onto my exhaust manifold in my E36 M3 is not a leaky valve cover gasket.

I put a new one in a few weeks ago but didn't follow the sealant directions very well and didn't give it time to set after I'd applied it. So yesterday I opened it back up, cleaned everything off, re-applied the sealant, and gave it a few hours to set (the instructions said an hour, and 12 hours before heavy usage).

Drove it about 400 miles today, and though it's not quite as overwhelming as it was before I did the initial replacement of the valve cover gasket, after a long drive I open the hood and there is still oil smoke coming from near the back.

What else could it be?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Did your valve cover gasket kit come with the 20-odd o-rings that are supposed do be replaced at the same time?
Yeah, and I did all of those too.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Yes, there are 20 or so little rubber donuts that you'll want to replace.

Part number: 11 12 1 437 395

If you're real anal the washers and nuts could be replaced too. Be careful not to over tighten anything, as that can also cause leaks, and if you really over-tighten, you can strip a stud in the head, then you're really in for some fun.
I'm pretty sure I didn't over-tighten, I only tightened them down to where they weren't turning freely then about a quarter-turn past that. It does seem like the oil is leaking out near the back where the bolts are difficult to get to, but I'm pretty sure I didn't over-tighten anything.

Is there another part in there that can cause leaks near the back? The engine itself runs fine--it sounds fine and provides plenty of power.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

There is only one other thing behind the valve cover on x52 engines, and that's the SAI tubing that runs along the backside and up the exhaust side of the valvecover/head. It can sometimes get hard and brittle, but that causes driving issues, not oil leaks, but it's something to look at I guess.

When you installed the gasket, did you lay it on the head, and then put the valve cover on over it, or did you put the gaskets in the valve cover and put it back on as one unit? The former works a lot better for sealing as you can manipulate the gasket and make sure it's seated correctly, etc. Other than that, tighten the bolts in stages, this will make sure it is located correctly on the head and not canted off to a side or something. Work from the center out in about 2-3 passes, then final torque them.

If all that doesn't fix it you can always use more RTV. One other thing you can check for if you have a known good straight edge and some feeler gauges is to see if the head is warped at all. With how easy it is to overheat these cars it is possible that sometime in the past it overheated and warped the head, causing the gasket not to seat.

Are you sure it's fresh oil burning off and not just residue from past oil leaks?
I'm going to give it a few days to make sure it's not residue, but I did drive it 400 miles yesterday and it was still smelling and there was oil smoke when I opened up the hood at the end of the drive (though not as strongly as before I first did the gasket swap).

I'm putting the gaskets in the valve cover because I don't really see how it would fit well laying it on the head first since the gasket slots into the valve cover. I have been tightening the bolts in stages, though I was working from the outside in using a diagonal across pattern.

As per my friend's instructions I have only been putting the RTV where the welds and sharp corners are on the head--should I be putting it elsewhere as well?

The straight edge thing sounds like a good idea--I'll see if I can find one and if it's still leaking in a few days I'll try measuring it. If that's the issue, what would be the fix?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

flublandDrussiavelt posted:

Get yourself a torque wrench, it's useful in a lot of situations, valve cover gaskets, wheels, all that. There's a specific amount you should tighten the valve bolts to that should be in your manual, and if not, you can find it online.
I found out about this coz I had to redo the valve cover tightening after under-tightening it (i did it by feel like you), and it turned out it was leaking oil from it. After I got a proper torque wrench, the leakage was gone.
Excellent, sounds good. I'll look into it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

The only places, on a good head, where you need RTV are in those little half moon things and where front timing cover bolts to the head. You can put a bead of RTV all the way around as a ghetto stop gap (or really just on the exhaust side, that's the side that leaks). It will work for a while, but it is by no means a permanent solution.

If the head is warped you'll need to source a good head or get yours machined.

If I were you, and the oil leak isn't that bad, I would take it apart once more and put it back together. Make sure you get all oil residue off the mating surfaces. Try to clean the gasket off, too, otherwise the oil residue on it will not play well with the RTV and you'll get leaks. Just take your time, make sure everything is clean and torqued properly.

If it leaks after that, personally, I'd just live with it. If you have the cash for headwork, and that turns out to be the issue, then have at it, but it is not a fault that will keep you from driving the car. Honestly, more BMW I6s leak oil from the exhaust side than don't, so, yeah...
Whoa whoa, wait a moment--do I need to put RTV all the way around the half-moon things? My buddy thought it should only be on the sharp corners on them. Maybe that's what's doing it!

I really want to get this figured out, because though it's minor enough now that it won't be a huge deal during the summer with the top down, it's kinda embarrassing when I have girls I'm dating in the car having it smell like burnt oil at stoplights :v:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Lowclock posted:

I put a thin even layer of RTV with my fingers on every mating surface when I did mine and it doesn't leak a bit. Sounds like it could help.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I put a generous amount on my finger and rub it all up in those half moons. I use more around the sharp corners, but I still put a nice thin layer down in the trough. If for no other reason than it helps seat the gasket on the M50.
Well poo poo. Between this and the torque wrench, guess I'll be taking another stab at this soon. Since the oil-smoke is clearly coming from the area under the back of the engine, I'm betting it is the half-moons that are leaking.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So, I was using the torque wrench to tighten down the bolts on my valve cover gasket tonight and... well. This happened to a few of them. Yes, I double-checked the settings on the torque wrench. Looks like a few of the bolts were just really oxidized, because not all of them did this.

Will most hardware or autoparts stores have these, or will I need to special order them? Good thing I don't need my car for anything more than fun.

If I need to special-order them, what the hell are they called?

(E36 M3)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Huh. They don't have the Valve Cover Stud. (11 12 1 718 856) Bavarian Autosport does though--are they good?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

If you only need a few you might try your local BMW dealer, prepare to laugh at how much it costs, though.

Edit: Or cry.
Pelican Parts had all the parts, so I just ordered from them. It'll be a few days, but oh well--it's not a daily driver, so being carless isn't a big deal for a week or so.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So... my power steering on my E36 M3 went out tonight. I got into the car after an hour workout, started it up, and started to leave my parking spot and the steering felt... really odd. As if something was slipping (there was a sound like this too), or couldn't quite grip the steering column or something. I shut the car down after a half block and started it up again, same thing... couldn't do anything about it and was only a mile or so from home, so I started driving home and after another few seconds it stopped and my power steering was just completely gone.

Sound like the pump, or belt, or what?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Well, it was slipping like that before it went dead, and then it was just dead the entire way home.

It was the oddest feeling, as if when I turned there was a belt in there somewhere trying to assist my turn but wasn't "grabbing" or something, because maybe 1/3 of the turn (stuttering, not the first third) was actually being assisted.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Ok, turns out the oil burning wasn't either the valve cover gasket (well, mostly, it had a small leak, but not onto the exhaust manifold) or the power steering.

The power steering hose and belts needed to be replaced, so I did that.

Turns out though that there is some plug in the back of the engine that had come loose, and was leaking oil everywhere. So they plugged it back in and re-sealed it, and now everything is happy. They also took a general look around and said the engine is in great shape. (E36 M3, 137k miles). So I'm good to go.

So, now onto the minor fixes.

My passenger-side speaker behind the kick-panel is buzzing at mid-ranges, so it either needs to be fixed or replaced.

Car Toys says they will replace both front speakers with higher quality ones for $355 including installation. I don't remember the brand.

Bavarian Sound Werks has these speakers for $110+shipping, but I'd have to do it myself (I'm pretty sure I can).

I could also (maybe) find a spare speaker on craigslist, but that's iffy on quality and a casual glance isn't showing any available in my area.

Or, I suppose I could pull the bad one out and have it fixed, but I have no idea where I might do that.
EDIT: scratch the fixing, just called a shop that does it and they said it's not worth it unless I have very high end speakers, I should just replace them.

Thoughts?

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 27, 2010

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Replacing the kick panel speakers is about 10 times easier than replacing the rear deck speakers. I'd go with the $110 BSW. The hole you have to mount the speaker in is pretty shallow if I remember correctly, so while the BSW is more expensive than Craigslist/Finding your own, it is at least guaranteed to work.
My bad, that's actually the completely wrong speakers I linked. BSW doesn't seem to have the kick panel speakers.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
If the temp gauge didn't go up, you're fine.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SynMoo posted:

Considering picking up this E36 M3.

Anyone have any comments on it's condition, what I can expect it needs right away, or what a mess the carfax is with all of the owners? It looks like it was stored for a few years.

Car:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=276495177

Carfox:
http://tinyurl.com/ydneqk6
It's at the point in its life where if it doesn't need the radiator replaced (or hasn't already) right now, it will very soon... so there's a start.

Also, owned in the midwest and east coast, check for rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Give us a ///M (1-series) and a ///M-roadster and I'll be happy