Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
A BMW megathread ? Yes! I'm surprised at the lack of E30 stampede. Representin':

My 91 318is. Bilstein shocks, H&R 1" drop springs, polymer subframe and trailing arm bushings, Hawk pads, polymer swaybar bushings, heavy duty shock mounts, and NO sun roof.

Flash hides nothing

Subframe bushings are the single worst job on an e30 outside of rear wheel bearing replacement. (usually trailing arm replacement, instead..)

E21's need love too.. (My 1980 320is that has sat in my shop for almost 6 years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Sigma X posted:

You don't need to remove the subframe to do the bushing install. It can be about a 2.5 hr job, for the IE poly bushings.

Yeah, but I decided to paint it and do a number of other things at the same time, so it became an adventure in agony.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

Dyscrasia posted:

Quick question:

Ive got a 1991 318IS w/ M42 engine.

Just the other day, I was checking my oil. I noticed that around the oil fill cap there was some oil.

Now, I know I did not spill a bunch or anything, this was definitly oil that overflowed out of the oil cap.

The cap did not seem to be on loose or anything, but I could be wrong.

This has never happened before, but both last weekend and the weekend before I went on 200 mile trips.

Other than that, everything is running in top shape. Ive got 180,000 miles on the car/engine, and it is about time for an oil change.

I also have a 91 318is. The seal on my oil fill cap degraded and caused oil leakage - so I simply sourced a modern M logo piece. I would imagine this is what happened to yours, as well. Here :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...sQ5fAccessories

That's the exact unit I have.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

This is a random question, but I hate most of the E21 boards that are out there..

Can anyone tell me if the in tank fuel pump for a first generation (76-79) E21 will fit in the stock fuel tank in a second generation (80-83) E21? Bavarian auto shows the same part number for the "right" fuel tank, which I assume means passenger's side, which is the one where the pump is.

My friend and I are mechanically restoring my e21 that has sat for about ten years. We're switching over to a weber 32/36 and ditching the stock fuel setup. The problem is, the gas tank is full of varnish and the original screen has been destroyed. The screen is NOT sold separately. We're cleaning the tanks, but I don't want to run the original fuel pump without a screen, as a new second generation E21 in tank pump is $200. We are replacing the external secondary 70 psi pump with an aftermarket 6 psi unit. The thing is - a first generation in tank pump is $20.00. I want to use that pump and screen. Any help?