Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Kian posted:

This 320CIA or this one?

Worth paying that extra for the facelifted model?

drat it sucks to buy cars in Singapore. This Singapore car salesman was telling me how his friend's 07 base Camry cost 60k USD in Singapore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I keep walking by this tore-up E46 M3 at a shade tree gas station / repair shop. I'm positive that the owner has left it there and doesn't care. Might be worth something as a parts car -- does anyone want me to ask about it?

Edit: it's in the Boston area. Mostly I just feel so sad for the car and wonder if it couldn't be put to better use like Mike Mulligan's steam shovel.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 27, 2008

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

As for the M3 vs the 335, I don't know I just prefer the styling of the M3 over the 335.
M3 starts at $54k; 335 starts at $39k. Are the looks worth that much more to you?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evobatman posted:

Alo belonging to a friend of mine: A 1975 BMW 3,0CSi:
- 1986 745i (M30B35 w/turbo) engine.
- Electromotive (Tec 2) engine management
- Lowering springs, special Konis.
- Recaro seats up front.
- 18" Rial wheels w/Falken tires.

He got this as a trade-in on his 2004 M3 CSL. In addition he has a 1995 M5 touring and an E30 M3.

What a sweet brown car. Did he get it with all the mods in it, or did he add those himself? Also, it couldn't have been an even trade, right? He must have made some money back on the M3.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CornHolio posted:

According to the latest Roundel, BMW is going to have a 3-series tii. Not sure if it means a concept or a production car, but still... this would be totally awesome.

When does the Roundel get mailed out? I signed up for BMW CCA a couple weeks ago, and was looking for an issue. waaaaa

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

TractionControl posted:

Am I the only one here who absolutely despises that website?
never been to it, but it grosses me out that people who are into BMWs could have such little taste.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Just putting this out there -- I had an autocross with BMWCCA Boston, and was on the same course as class C, which is a ton of E36 M3s and the like. During staging, there was VANOS clicking all over the place; it sounded like I was in a sweatshop with all the sewing machines going. It was pretty cool to not be bugged out by the sonud from following this thread.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I think that after all of the 'Bangle Bustle' drama this plainer look is really the right thing for BMW as a brand. Have we seen pics of her rear yet?

I think Jalopnik had a shot. It definitely wasn't a Bangle butt anymore.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

dp

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

On a happier note, the latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports compares the 4 generations of M3s. A summary of the article:

- E30 M3 was the homologation for FIA Group A class, and went on to sell almost 18000
- E36 M3 was not as hardcore as the E30 M3, especially the US's detuned engine. BMW sold 71242 of these
- E46 M3 was underappreciated by the hardcore enthusiasts, even with the new engine. Sold over 85000 copies, 1/3 of which were 'verts.
- E92 M3 (it's new)

In the holistic (including engine, shifting feel, steering, styling, fit and finish, dash controls, noise, and fun) subjective ratings, they scored:

Avg lap times around the BMW Performance center:
- 28.80 s

GRM recommends the E92 if money is no object, but the E30 otherwise. My personal fave in terms of looks, cost, and bang-for-buck is the E36. Others' thoughts?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sterndotstern posted:

Between the E36 and E46, the E36 tends to have a better ride and more neutral at-the-limit handling, particularly the (now cheap) 1995 model, though far less giggle factor from the accelerator in stock form.

The later models had what, a 20 ftlb bump in torque? I tentatively asked a few sellers about their sales on ebay and autotrader, but no responses so far. A good '98 or '99 could probably be snapped south of 16k.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sterndotstern posted:

Easily, but why? My preference is to pick up a well-used 150k '95 for $7k, drop $2500 of suspension, refreshed bushings, and Conforti intake/chip/injectors in it. That's some SERIOUS value for <$10k.

I think it's hard to justify picking up a 150-200k mileage BMW _if_ there's few or no maintenance records for it. That'd be the problem for me, anyways. Granted, a newer car with fewer miles is no sure deal either. Just fewer records to be missing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sterndotstern posted:

With $2500, you can pretty much address everything that needs addressing: a Bentley manual, cooling, suspension, bushings front and rear, fluids etc. Obviously you need to test drive the car before buying it, but the base mechanicals are really stout. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 15-year-old M3 with 10,000 track miles on it.
Then drive it and pay attention for any obvious issues with alignment, transmission, and engine. If any E36 - say, a 210k '93 - can get through this inspection, I say buy it.

I guess my problem is, the quantity of local E36s is far outweighed by the eBay/Autotrader quantity. Sure I could pay for an independent inspection, but I'd never trust it as much as looking at things for myself. Plus I'm losing ~$100 per car that doesn't pan out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SlapActionJackson posted:

Check out your local PCA. Fortunately for me, PCA allows cars with factory pop-up protection, and they run most of the DEs that happen locally anyway. So for me it's only a small loss that BMWCCA is so prissy about roll bars.

Aren't PCAs sorta make-exclusive?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

You mean the plastic covering?

That dead pedal looks really tore up somehow, and not just covered by the plastic courtesy sheet. Is that a stock steering wheel? Arwox, lemme know what you end up paying for it if you buy it. Trying to get a gauge on E36 M3 prices.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lufiron posted:

Also, I think the 1-series better encapsulates the spirit of past 3 series better than E9x's. The 135 is a monster, and is the only newer BMW I'd consider owning.

There's been complaints from both Roundel and Grassroots Motorsports that the 1's handling is slightly inferior to the 3's. Does anyone have some comparative anecdotal evidence? Even if it were lighter, I wouldn't accept it as a succesor to the old line of 3s if it were dynamically inferior. And it's only 300 lbs lighter, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Taymar posted:

I've seen the same criticisms in reviews too. I believe the one in Roundel recently said something along the lines of wider front tires and suspension tweaks would make the car much better balanced.

Tires, I can live with, but I dunno why BMW wouldn't already have tweaked the suspension already. Luxury ride feel, I guess.

I've ridden in a stock 1, and it's pretty roomy for 4, to be honest. We were at a driving skills class, and the instructor made 3 of us get into one car with him. So a 6'3" dude and I were in the back. I (5'10") was barely touching knees to the front seat and other guy was worse off. But his main complaint was head room. Not too surprising. But yeah, I agree that it's a liveable replacement to the older 3-series, as far as size goes. The small size is nice for spirited driving because there's lots of walls for you to brace against.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

I don't see how the handling can be inferior, considering the E82 has the same suspension setup as the E90. The 135 and ZSP 128s have 20mm wider track in the rear, but that won't make handling worse.
Sounds like you crossthreaded it. Better invest in a good metric tap set or beat it in with an impact gun (only if you plan on never taking it out again).

They said up to a point, it would understeer unpleasantly, and only after that threshold would it come around, compared to the 3 which stayed neutral throughout. Maybe something that could be tweaked with tires and some suspension component changes, but I think both those mags were disappointed with the out of the box feeling factor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sterndotstern posted:

Modern carmakers now only allow fast cars to understeer once they're off stability control. Fat rear tires and concerns about tire wear make that happen.
I understand, but does that explain why they liked driving the 3 of the same generation more?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lufiron posted:

No Project thread will be posted until it is done. Two tone paint scheme too, with that chrome strip as the dividing point.
Not even at say 66% through?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

Woman gets 10 days jail in car crash case

OCALA — A college student will serve three weekends of jail time

Someone help me out here:
A) 3 weekends in jail? Is it some sort of stupid compromise so she can go to school on the weekdays?
B) how does 3 weekends = 10 days?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Crustashio posted:

This is literally the first decent condition 325IX I have ever seen (living in nova scotia 4WD would be a huge bonus), so I fired off an email to try and get a look ASAP.

whoa, BMW had AWD back then?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Arwox posted:

Why do you say that?

the GRM gave the E36 M3 the worst marks, by a noticeably larger margin than between the higher 3 places.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Xenoid posted:

The North American E36 M3 or the Euro E36 M3? I think the NA E36 M3 was boring but the engine in the Euro one was incredible and if using the Euro car in the comparison it would have been pretty close I bet. That said, my pick for favourite M3 would probably be the E30 then the E92/E46 tie.

An NA one, IIRC. While the motor did take some knocks, they also took points off for shifter feel and steering I think, so it might still have come in after the E30. It's still my fave for whatever inexplicable reason.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't know what to think about this:
http://jalopnik.com/5059957/australian-bmw-m5-ute-finally-finished-debuts-at-deniliquin-ute-muster

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brock Landers posted:

E39 wheels have a larger hub bore and will fit other cars with a smaller bore (like the E46) as long as you use hub-centric rings, but it's not recommended. E39's will take nothing but E39 wheels because of the larger hub bore. Hub-centric rings will make the E39 wheels "fit" an E46, but people have reported weird shakes/shimmies running in this configuration.

Didn't it get concluded in some other thread that all wheels are lug centric and don't need hub centering to fit correctly? I think it was oxbrain that said so.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Groan Zone posted:

When you join the BMW CCA for $40 does that let you participate in all the events/driving schools or do you have to pay an additional fee for each event you want to join?

Yes, there are additional fees. Say, like $70 for a driving school, $35 for an autocross, and $300 for a 2-day track day.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's much cozier than the GTI you're coming from. Though 3 big dudes fit in the back of one when I sat in it at a driving school.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wolrah posted:

Forgot to post this last week, but my car hit another milestone on Thursday.

drat you were in a rush to hit that milestone.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

spouse posted:

Can someone tell me why all the new 3 series are looking more and more like the lovely design that is the 6 and 7 series rear end? That loving ugly flattop with the weird taillights is invading a car I've loved since I was 13. I saw one today and it made me very, very, very sad.

When you're updating a brand's image, you gotta take some risks. It's inevitably going to be a love-hate move for the brand loyalists. Jack Baruth comments on BMW vs its competition in that respect:
http://www.speedsportlife.com/2009/02/04/avoidable-contact-24-the-man-who-saved-bmw/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Will you pass inspection with the SRS light and wiper fluid nozzles not working?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Speculus posted:

By the way, does anyone want to know what it's like working at Plant Spartanburg (home of the X5, X6, and their motorsport variants)?
Do people take the X5 M and X6 M seriously? Like does anyone take theirs to the local autocross or track day? Or is development of such a thing limited to the on site track?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can't you rig up some sort of 1/8" spacer teeth to stick along the the bore facing hole of the spacers? I'd be surprised if that little mass that close to the axis could cause that a balance issue. 1gm at 3" out equates to 0.25gm at 12", or a pebble stuck in the tread.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

proudfoot posted:

Now, the deal is tempting, at 23k, and for a very low milage model, but the salvage title has me immediately suspicious. I email the person asking for pictures, and he replied:

Is this a decent deal? And if any other AI goon is in the bay area, and willing to look at this with me, I'll be greatly thankful. I'll buy you dinner or something.

That 9k discount is nowhere near enough to make it a good deal. When you try to sell this car you'll get hit with the other side of the door.

I see another 2007 335i in the Bay area for 27k. I don't think you'll have to look too hard to find a proper specimen for not too much more.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It's a whump-whump-whump noise, not the grinding like I keep seeing described as a run-flat symptom noise.

Could it be incredibly flat-spotted? How fast do you have to go before you hear it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

doogle posted:

I was driving my E82 during the first big snow and I was sliding all over the place. I managed to go sideways for about 20 yards down the road after going over some railroad tracks at about 15 mph.

What tires were you guys running?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dyscrasia posted:

What does the size matter? I figure just width would be the issue.

Taller tires are slightly better insurance against hitting something hidden in the snow. They might make the difference between a blown tire and a blown tire + bent rim.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The wider a tire is, the more easily it'll slip over slush or hard snow, like a toboggan. A narrower tire will have an easier time sinking or cutting down to the ground, which hopefully will offer better grip. In terms of tire choice, if you normally run 205, there'd certainly be no problem downgrading to 195 (and appropriately matched sidewall). You're trading off a small amount of dry grip for snow grip, which should be fine unless you're keen to autocross in the dead of winter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

crutt posted:

outside, there were a couple dings, but nothing too major.

Did you look in the engine bay and underneath and do all the usual pokes and prods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

gently caress that peerless guy and his skid plates.

RaceSkids 4 lyfe

Is this the RaceSkid?:
http://www.harrisonmotorsports.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=51
It seems to have the design that the Peerless guy calls out. Are those issues not legitimate?