Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ozziegt posted:

Is it worth it to join the BMWCCA?

Depends on whether they have plenty of local autoxes and HPDEs. They were some of the cheaper and well organized events in my area. I really don't like the Roundel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ozziegt posted:

I'm in northern VA so there are probably a lot of members in this area. Is there any way I can find out if they have local events? Do they charge extra for these events or are they included in the membership cost?

They do charge for the events, but if you go to a few, it can be worth it, over going to poorly organized / overattended events by other organizations. The HPDE I went to was like $300 for 2 days and 2+ hours of track time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CornHolio posted:

since I want to own it for many more miles I've replaced all the ball joints, bushings, tie rods, etc.
:monocle:

I've read the water pump on the M44 doesn't have the same spectacular failure mode as other I-6 E36 engines. Is that true?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

An acquaintance's automatic 1995 530i has the following symptom:
sometimes reverse doesn't engage when you shift it into R. To remedy it, he shifts into N again and the back into R.

How bad of a sign is this for his transmission?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

OWLS! posted:

Don't have a trailer, don't even have a car at the moment, but sure.

You also have to agreed to be gagged and blindfolded, for "security purposes."

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Usually, yes. Reverse is almost always the first to die in BMW autoboxes, soon it will stop going into drive. Did this person make it a habit of shifting to drive before the car came to a full stop? That's what'll kill them.

So once that happens, is it shot, or rebuildable like Lowclock's?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pilsner posted:

Has anyone ever driven or owned an 8-series? Been looking on them on car ad websites, and drat, they look sweet and can be had in the CSI version with a 380 HP V12. There's also the slightly more reasonable 840 choice (286 HP V8), or just regular 850 (300 HP). They're expensive (20-30k euro), but some day... drool. I figure they should be kind of a mix between E34 and E39 technology, so perhaps not too hard to work on.

Edit: BMW V8 vs. V12 sound?

Talk to Black88GTA. He has an 840 and is generally pretty pro-owning one.
Here's some of what he's done do it, among other cars:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3145227&userid=156381

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ynotony posted:

What excites me about a coupe is the sexy/sporty profile, not the number of doors.

So any sporting/sexy looking car is a coupe?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ynotony posted:

Sorry for inserting those adjectives: What I like about a coupe is its profile, not the number of doors.

K, now I get you. Though for me, the way a coupe's door naturally trisects the body of the car is much more pleasant than how the same sedan's doors quadsect the body. A really good case in point is the E36, actually.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CornHolio, I was gonna put this in your finance thread, but I figured it'd be outre, so here, lust after this:
http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/1708229848.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Somebody is selling this in Vermont for 11.5k. It's pretty cool looking. The paint is incredible.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37210452@N06/sets/72157623820157861/show/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Black88GTA posted:

Yeah, reading through that list...it becomes apparent that this guy is the "put gas in it and steer" type. From that repair history, it seems that car hasn't had any PM in the entire time he owned it - he just waited for stuff to break. :(

But can 4 radiator replacements in 4 years really be excused?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Black88GTA posted:

Maybe a bad radiator cap or head gasket causing overpressure, etc.

Which in fact there was -- a recall on a drat radiator cap!
I know the guy bought a 17 year-old top of the line luxury car, but I can understand to some degree that he wouldn't expect certain things to go wrong with it, like the windshield seal coming out on the highway, or the control module malfunctioning. Even if the dealership was taking him for a ride, there were pervasive issues that they couldn't fix.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jaxx posted:

Also anyone know how to calculate what g force I went through? As in I did 50 to 0 in about less than 6 feet, but the other dude was doing 80 so I don’t know how to factor that in. The consultant was ex air force and he said that to see spinal fractures in helicopter crashes, when they whump straight down into ground, they have to be in-excess of 30g for a point of a second on the occupant, that sounds really high and obviously mine is a car with crumple zones and lateral deceleration.

Assuming uniform deceleration, you experienced 12.4gs. If the deceleration was non-uniform (very likely), the peak deceleration was higher than that. That's still very bad gs, however. The human body can withstand much more gs in the vertical direction (such as when you're seated in a car or helicopter) than it can front to back. But of course, since the vertebrae are oriented up and down, the kind of injury it could sustain in this crash would be different.

e: I had my math wrong, now I get 14.2gs.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 4, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A friend is shopping CPO'ed E90s in the 20k+ range, and I suggested that he look at E46s for less money upfront.

Are ZHPs getting this cheap?:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/1895952104.html

I wonder if it's a scam of some sort. The pictures seem local, but I'd thought 330is would sell for more. Maybe it's starting to overheat?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hunh, shows what I know about the ZHP package. I guess it encourages me that BMWs of this era are getting cheaper. My friend is pretty risk averse about major repairs, so even though I guess I could find a great 330i for 15k or less, I'm not sure he'd bite.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evobatman posted:

What is the real deal with the rear subframe tearing issue on the E36? I have a 1995 323i (2,5 six/170hp for you yanks) with 100k miles on it which has clunking from both sides on the rear. I have replaced the big trailing arm bushings that are up near the body, have replaced the rear shocks and shock mounts, and the sway bar bushings and droplinks, and I cannot get rid of the clunking. A friend of mine loosened and tightened all the nuts on the four big bushings that hold the diff subframe, and said they look old, but still OK, and the floor looks OK. Shock towers are also OK.

I thought the E46 had that problem?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

My friend has a 2007 335i with 50k miles on it. He just got his HPFP replaced under warranty, along with the revised tune. He's experiencing abnormal lag still and the tech at the dealer that did the warranty work thinks it could be carbon build up on the intake valves. They're proposing to walnut-shell blasting things after taking the head off, for $650.

My friend got another quote from a rival dealership to clean it with liquids sprayed down the throttle body (or somewhere upstream), for $370. This place mentioned they've seen cars come in at 40-50k intervals having build up.

Does anyone have experience with the efficacy of either technique? Can shops confirm buildup with a fiber optic camera?
It seems like if buildup is present in quantity, and the liquid approach was effective, then $370 would be worth it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CornHolio posted:

have forgotten how to drive an automatic and refuses to touch one, even in a rental car.

good way to make you drive the rentals.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bony Boy posted:

Hi, all.

I'm a college student looking to buy a better car when I graduate. Currently driving a '92 Civic that I learned to drive stick on. It runs, but... that's about it. I got it about six years ago as beater and my first car, at that, but I think I'm ready for something better.

I've been looking at 2002ish 3-series, which I especially like the design of. Here's a listing that I have been eyeing: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/2077210473.html
I've thought about getting a more recent Honda for a daily driver while I learn more about BMWs. I definitely don't mind putting the time and effort into em, but living in a somewhat rural area, I need something to get me around every day.

Any thoughts/advice?

Regardless of what replacement you get, you might want to start DIYing various things on your Civic. Translating things from car model to car model will be far quicker than translating generic skills from mech E.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

destructo posted:

Being an engineer won't make much of a difference. Plenty of ChemEs in my field have never touched a wrench, let alone know how to use one. Just start taking poo poo apart, there's not much to it.

Yeah, but a MechE (particularly at the undergrad level, which might work against the guy asking) could have vaguely relevant knowledge, like why reusing head bolts over and over is bad and what good gear wear would look like.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Maybe a NA high strung 4 cylinder, and a bit of a diet would make them comparable.

I don't see a future RWD BMW getting lighter than the 1 M. I also don't know if BMW thinks there's a market for a revvy 4 now. In other words, the E30 M3 is never coming back :(.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

doogle posted:

what is the point of the 6 series when you can get an m3 for cheaper and have a car that is better?
by the time you put 22s on it, the M3 won't be much better. FWIW, I bought a car in a bad neighborhood, which included a 650 up on its brake discs. I hope the rims were insured.

e: I guess I wasn't fully articulating my point -- people buy cars to show off, too.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 8, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

McDeth posted:

OMFG I would kill for a car in orange. Seriously my favorite color on the RS4...

Are you married to a DCT? I got the sense that the Mustang and Camaro had auto transmissions?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can anyone ID the wheel / car above the door card in this picture?:

Just curious.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I wonder if the M3/M5 will ever leave RWD.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Repairing rims is a divisive topic. A respectable shop would charge $100-200 for fixing a minor bend.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ozziegt posted:

Yeah 2500 RPM is pretty low. Nobody is ever cruising around at 1200 RPM so why does it matter if the power is available down low like that.

Tbh, I would love to putter around at 1000 RPM if a motor could take it. I wonder if an Aston with a V12 could do it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

VibrioCholera posted:

Bet people south of the Mason Dixie line

It's Mason-Dixon. :911:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Over the last few pages, I think someone asked what the pains of a E39 540i were, and I couldn't find it. e: When that discussion came up, everyone recommended an I-6 model instead, which I at the time agreed with. But of course, like slidebite experience, temptations always come up.

This 2001 showed up locally:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/2259399457.html

From the carfax the seller provided, I can tell a local reputable dealer has maintained it, down to the rich/meticulous owner details, like wiper blade replacement. What are the major issues with this model again? Is the motor more suspect than the E39 M5?

It has 205k(!) on it. But assuming I coul get proof of regular maintenance work on the car from the dealer, maybe as part of an inspection, is that a reasonable price?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

VibrioCholera posted:

If you're not smashing your E46 around a track you shouldn't have reliability issues outside of any other car.

Lightbulb Out posted:

If you are doing your maintenance, there is no need to baby an old BMW.

But in the case of the E46, that means preventatively maintaining the water pump and sometimes radiator at pretty short intervals, right? While we're at it, doesn't the E39 have the same problem with plastic impellers?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pilsner posted:

You could consider a 540 instead. It's a league below in terms of purchase cost and expensive-ness of parts. It's slower of course, but it's attainable.

What are the key differences? I feel like a dick, cuz I see Sterndotstern post his E36 checklist every time someone comes in here asking "what BMW should I get? Should I get this one?" and now I'm doing the same. I know it's scattered across these pages, but I don't know where.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sorry to spoil the party, but Jalopnik updated and said that it's just a parts hauler:
http://jalopnik.com/#!5782213/is-this-bmw-m3-pickup-for-real

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Seems to me that the times a torsen LSD (as opposed to a viscous one) could save someone's bacon are few and far between. It offers better performance when someone is on the traction edge, but arguably they should be driving under that on the street anyways. AWD systems with open diffs on both ends have proven to give people better traction in slippery conditions; I don't see giving them the extra 5% that a Torsen might provide could really be argued as a true safety improvement.

On top of that, making it optional will only mean an annoyance when you order your car and the dealer has to look through a smaller inventory of cars with the LSD that match your other options.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think it should be an option, but I don't think it could ever get sold to the feds as a safety feature.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Saga posted:

whoah whoah whoah whoah, back up there!

Keep that up and you'll end up saying something you'll regret, like "V6"

To a V6, I say bring it. If it works and it's better, I'm for it.

To your point, I did mean "people shouldn't be driving on the traction limit on the street all the time, to the point where a Torsen LSD would be a safety aid."

The 200k mile 540i seller manager to acquire 30 pages of maintenance records from the dealer who serviced the car. No evidence of struts being changed, though he says they look newer than original. No evidence of clutch change. Worst of all, there was a radiator and thermostat replacement, but no record of a waterpump replacement. How could someone who always went to the dealer (including for a wiper blade change!) not have had those items done, I wonder. Did 2001 E39s still have plastic impeller waterpumps?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Korbin posted:

I am thinking of picking up this 318ti in a few days. I think I've seen maybe 1 other in town. Anything crazy I should look out for?

The standard cooling system issues, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

T-Square posted:

Quick E30 question, specifically the 325's, for those who Autocross and/or track them:

I've been hearing cases where the straight six doesn't like fast or long left-handers, as it starves the fifth and sixth cylinders, roasting those respective bearings. I'd really love to start autocrossing my 325is, and I've been looking into Accusump's sump systems. It looks like I can get a 3-quart system (if I can find room to fit it) with an electric valve for around $600-$700.

My question to you guys is this: is a sump system necessary for this car? Are any of you guys running sump systems, or just running plain stock cars without any issues? I'd love to save myself time and money, but I definitely wouldn't love to end up breaking things as a result.

A friend swore by Accusump for track driving, but I haven't heard much about it for autox. Worth asking it the Autocross thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3396606
As far as typical and E30-specific stress to the oiling system, etc.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

televiper posted:

Could be a simple typo if he's using a Devorak keyboard: the L is right next to the R, and the 740iL was a real model in '97.

I use Dvorak, and I'm extra careful about this when I'm writing paeans to Glorious Nippon.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

This is the BMW thread.

How delightfully snobbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've heard from one guy at the track that the uncertainty of its downshift response times is unpleasant. But that may or may not be an issue after newer revisions, or for street use.