Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I was looking at a 96 z3 with 79k miles on it in great condition for 7 and a half grand from a dealer and a clean carfax report, is there a ton of extra expenses I'll have to pay down the line? It looks great now but for such a low price am I missing something? I'm fully aware it's only the 4 cylinder 138hp model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

peterjmatt posted:

That's a ton of money for that car, low mileage or not.

The M44 is a great engine (though seriously gutless) and will last nearly forever, but pretty much every gasket goes on them after 10 years or so. Resealing that motor costs quite a bit of money so make sure it's already been done.

Other issues are mostly top related: the rear window either goes foggy, cracks, or comes un-stitched necessitating replacement, the seals start to leak and occasionally the top itself tears or comes un-stitched at the A-pillar.

It's a fairly simple car (it's essentially a parts-bin car made of e30 and a few e36 systems) so nothing really catastrophic usually goes wrong with them, but there's no way in hell I'd pay that much for a first year z3. There's tons of low mileage examples out there (the Bond movie had just come out and everyone thought they were buying collector cars) so I'd look for a better deal if that's the car you want...but I'd look for a later model m52 powered example if I were you.

It was actually the cheapest one I could find around here, 7 was kind of my limit and the newer ones are around 12-15 grand for some reason, it just doesn't seem right. I'm aware of the manual top thing too which seems kind of annoying but I could live with it. Guess I can wait a few months and see what else pops up.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

peterjmatt posted:

If you're willing to live with an underpowered, impractical, tiny roadster, just go with a Miata. Sure you have to forfeit your balls on delivery but it's as much fun to drive as a 1.9 z3 and a hell of a lot cheaper all around.

And I'm very much a BMW guy so this isn't biased advice.
Even less of them around here, which is odd because I see them around all the time. Again I'll see what opens up in september and definitely consider it

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My friend's ex jumped on top of her 99 5-series and crumpled the top. The garage says it's going to take about 3 grand to fix, would it just be cheaper to get it turned into a convertible? Is it even possible?