Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just realized that even though the M3 says "Starting at $62,000 MSRP", it's literally impossible to spec out the M3 like that on the website. :psyduck:

Isn't that illegal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How can they advertise "As low as $62K" then? They may as well advertise "As low as free!*"

*not really.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Every single time I change the leather back to cloth, it adds the sunscreen back on.

Maybe I'm on the "You're a loving sucker" version of the webpage?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 6, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm just going to add it to the list of reasons I'll never own a BMW. :iiam:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

See my problem is that I look at that and all I can think is that for $1K on a car I don't need to drive every day it'd be fun. But I already have a track car. And a relatively comfortable daily driver. And my fiance said if I bring home another car she's getting a pet pig.

Pigs are adorable. Do it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Drive HECK

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone can drive a manual car if you put them in one and tell them it's their only way home. It's not some arcane magic knowledge.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't care how dumb it looks when it hauls like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPEUqTU_xfs

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

thealphabetsez posted:

Haulin’ no doubt.

The sound of the shifts are quite similar to that of the X3M, wonder if it’s the same ZF auto?

Doesn't everybody on the planet use that ZF auto now?

BMW said it will still be available in a RWD / manual config if you want it that way. I will not be getting that, unfortunately, because my girlfriend can't drive stick and this needs to be her daily.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KillHour posted:

Doesn't everybody on the planet use that ZF auto now?

BMW said it will still be available in a RWD / manual config if you want it that way. I will not be getting that, unfortunately, because my girlfriend can't drive stick and this needs to be her daily.

0 interest. I tried to teach her and she was fine in the parking lot, but as soon as we came to a stop sign, she panicks, stalls the car and starts crying. I've never been able to convince her to try again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wait until one gets wrapped around a pole sideways and stick the engine in an actual Gran Prix.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My friend who knows nothing about cars really likes it so it's gonna sell like hotcakes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rscott posted:

Are you guys talking like liability only coverage or something, full coverage on my E82 is like $1400/6 months :(

Holy poo poo.

Edit:
Why the gently caress do old BMWs cost so much for insurance :psyduck:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 13, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Here's a mind gently caress - replacing my Focus RS with a brand new M4 with the same coverage will DECREASE my insurance premiums by ~$20, according to Geico.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Guinness posted:

They don't...

That's with full 250/500/100 liability, 250/500/100 underinsured, and low deductible comp & collision. I looked into raising the deductibles but it saves nearly zero. Maybe I should drop collision at this point, though...

And that's after it went up a bit after changing zip codes.

Quoting my existing policy on a 2009 135i actually goes down $9/6mo :lol:

That's a poo poo ton for a 16 year old car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Four year old Subaru more expensive than one year old sports car is odd. I remember seeing they were going to give refunds or discounts since no one is driving but I don't know if any companies actually did. I haven't seen a discount or refund of any kind.

Geico is doing 15%.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Can a mod enforce a burnout rule also can I be a mod because I have some ideas (unrelated)

I'm not a mod, but I would enforce the poo poo out of a burnout rule.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Also, insurance rates are based on how likely the insurance company is going to have to pay out for that car. For an Aston Martin, most issues are going to be maintenance related, so not the insurance company's problem. And it's likely to spend most of its time not being driven much, and parked in a garage or somewhere else safe. So the insurance company won't have to spend a bunch of money on Aston Martins being crashed. Whereas everyone has a 3 series and they are parking them on the street, or in sketchy parking lots, and driving them every day, so it's more likely that they will get into a situation that requires the insurance company to pay out.

The thing I found truly crazy is I priced out a brand new M4, and the insurance on that would be less than my Focus RS. But an M5 would be like double.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can CPO a car that's been in an accident as long as it can be repaired to factory specifications - which means not even a nick on the frame. Replacing a quarter panel doesn't affect the car in an appreciable way.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

inspired: BMWs will solve overpopulation, allowing nature to take back what is hers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kronix posted:

If you order this car the auto driving package you're an rear end in a top hat anyway. If you want to have the car drive you, go buy a 330i. That'll just make it easier to figure out the people who walked into the dealership and ask for the most expensive version of the car they wanted.

Or you take the car on long highway trips. I will never own a GT car without ACC again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PabloBOOM posted:

Not pictured: 6 grills that stretch from ground to hood release on the front.

Don't care. M wagon. Bring it to the US, for the love of god.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

flightless greeb posted:

who wants to set the odds on an M3 Wagon in the US

It's almost certainly an M5 to compete with the E63s and RS6.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

twelve hundred bucks is not that bad tbh

He won't have to pay that, lawyer will plea it down.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I had a friend who used to work in insurance tell me that BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Range Rover were no longer considered prestige vehicles with the exception of the very top of the range (I.e. 7 Series, A8, S Class etc).

Apparently a lot of people got really upset when they found out they were not entitled to a luxury courtesy car despite having what they perceived as a luxury brand.

Honestly the 116d must be a money printer for BMW.

Considering the M4 is 7 series money and the M5 comp is decked-out m840 grand coupe money, I'd assume they generally count as well, no?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

My insurance payment went down considerably going from a used 17 GTI 2dr base 6speed to an off the lot 2020 M2 Comp. Let that sink in lol.

Probably respective average age of the drivers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

Ultimately you're not wrong but I'm not exactly in any low-risk categories. Under 30, unmarried, etc etc etc

You have enough money to buy an M car. That is a lower risk category.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

Any thoughts?

Divorce your wife?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

Eh, as long as the car doesn't bankrupt me later on with all of the things that will go wrong with the car, I'm fine with my wife being happy with a car. Also puts me in a better position later on to get something I'd want. Thanks everyone for the stern talking to.

We're just giving you guff, but I think none of us actually have an opinion on which mildly upmarket people mover is better.

The first one looks like a marshmallow, and the second one brings me to a generic results page so :shrug:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Same thing with the *53/45 AMGs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Put the M5 away for the winter yesterday and just in time as it's snowing most of the day today.

Or you could daily it in the winter. Just sayin.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

M3/M4 configurator is up.

https://www.bmw.com/en/bmw-models/m4-coupe.html

Oddly enough, the Canadian one shows more options for colors though.

https://configure.bmw.ca/en_CA/conf...775,S07M9,S0Z0D

They better offer frozen orange in the US! :argh:

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1768389

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

looks like poo poo OP

You shut your mouth that color is gorgeous. I'll fight you.

Keyser_Soze posted:

I still can't believe BMW let Powershift design their new cars.

Previous gen looks worse.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

flightless greeb posted:

I'm so mad that we're in a situation where it's not too expensive to import and federalize 7 different crossover models but it is too expensive to do it for 1 wagon. I only need one!!

Buy an E63 or RS6?

I would strongly consider one but they're ~30k over my budget so whelp.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BMW has gone all-in on over the top ugly and I hate the wheel but I love that they're making it.

It would work on a crazy hypercar.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's painted in Sao Paulo yellow, I think.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It took me halfway through that sentence to realize you were talking about Porsche and not the M4 GT4 racecar.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Popete posted:

I fit our Christmas tree inside the e46 touring. Wagons rule.

The other day I was strongly considering getting a cheap beater Cayenne for when I have to do adult things in a car instead of fun things in a car but I don't want to make a nice car dirty.

For example: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/824618831/overview/

This seems like a plan that will never backfire in any way :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BMW is pretty bad about ownership costs, but I refuse to believe the idrive controller isn't covered under warranty. What's wrong with yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Your mistake was planning to keep a BMW for 14 years.