Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TractionControl posted:

Oh god. I have a BMW problem..

Here is the family..

BMW overload. Am I right about this? M5, E30, E36, M3 - left to right?

My first car was almost a 1989 325is, owned by a mechanic who dropped an engine into it 90k miles ago; 5 speed and just a whole lot awesome(for $2500 nontheless).

Parents intervened and insurance didn't really like it(although i'm pretty sure my dad checked for FULL coverage instead of just liability...).

There are BMWs in my future though, most definetely.

Edit: TractionControl, E30s are so drat sexy, especially in red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Tiptronic shifts aren't dual-clutch instant, but they aren't slow (though I long for the 100ms shift time of the upgraded auto, that would be an improvement regardless of how minor (100ms or less)). Gears will be held until redline (no upshifting), but if you rapidly floor the accelerator it will downshift automatically for maximum thrust NOW (literally stomp your foot down hard, you can still WOT in any gear without it shifting for you).

I've been trying to figure this out for a while and haven't come up with anything, but what does "WOT" stand for?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yes, enjoy your 135. You want an extra car or what?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

There a 2008 328 wagon on sale with 100k miles in my price range (10k ish), this is a terrible idea right? Everything around the engine starts breaking around the engine at this many miles and it's really expensive to fix. But it's red and has a manual and and....

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone driving a 128/228/230 here? I'm a previous miata owner and looking for something similar in driving characteristics. Gobs of power aren't super important to me so that's why I'm not as interested in the x35/x40 cars, although considering how hard it is to find a manual in these, I might not have a choice. What big mechanical issues am I looking at for cars with 80k+ miles besides the usual coolant system stuff? Are the turbos holding up beyond 120-140k miles?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What sort of things fall apart on 128s that I need to pay close attention to in a used car? Seems to check all the boxes for me, smooth 6, rwd, small, 2 doors.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

An acquaintance is selling his '95 525i Touring wagon with a M3 engine swap and a manual transmission. Do i...

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Cobalt60 posted:

Not gonna impress anyone but I finalized on this today

'08 128i with the sport suspension, seats, wheel, paddles, etc.

My '05 ZHP will either go to the wife or up for sale. Weird swap to some, I'm sure, but I was ready for something new.

That's so nice, exact BMW I want.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Someone posted earlier in the thread about getting BMW keys online and programming them at home (if I remember right). Anyone have a link?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Popete posted:

BraveUlysses pointed me too here.

https://thebmwminipartstore.com/faq/index.cfm?action=faq&faqCategoryID=1654&siteID=218365

They'll order the key from BMW with proof of ownership and then you can go through the programming steps yourself. Worked for my e46.

Exactly what i was looking for thanks!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It's pretty hilarious when people say they don't have enough power to "get out of trouble", same bullshit as you hear from people in motorcycling world. You know you can also slow down too right?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BMW Thread: Buy a Camaro

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The problem is it doesn't look anywhere as good as a Audi A7.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Alarbus posted:

They're out there, I had to get out of my 328 because I wasn't fixing the AC, but found a manual 335 xdrive. I did compromise on the color, so it's black on black, which I'm very negative on this weekend.

It does probably mean I'm keeping this long term, because it looks like the future generations will have fewer or no manuals. :(

Does the xdrive car feel different in handling? Is it mostly rwd and then puts power to the front when needed?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yep, goes along with Mazda only putting it in the top trim 3. It's now a pay extra option.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Big Taint posted:

And you’re paying more for worse performance and less convenience in the name of engagement.

Yes, I don't see a problem with your statement.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So wait, you put your lawn into sport mode but not your M2C?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Leasing a new BMW is very smart, especially if job pays for it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Vantablack overspray lol

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hey thread: do I want to spend a thousand bucks a month for the next three years leasing an M550i? ~$82k price on a $89k sticker car, all the MSDs and whatnot.

I mean, on one hands it’s a hell of a car. On the other hand ouch my wallet.

Get a 328 wagon instead, there're bound to be a few left over with insane lease deals since they're discontinued.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Hey any 1 series owners in here? For a 2+2 how practical have you found the car? Is there noticeably less usable room than in a 3 series coupe (E92)?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

beanieson posted:

I can put my 60cm Caad10 in the trunk by folding down the rear seats. I’m 6’3” and find it fits me just perfectly, but basically no one could sit behind me. It’s not my daily but I could make that work if I needed to.

Oh perfect, someone who rides my size bike even. This is the kind of info I need.

Thanks for the feedback yall, now the hard part, finding a 128 with a manual.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Probably really depends on your engine preference, no? 228 seemed to get a lot of love in camparos since it's lighter up front.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Does the 1 series have better steering feel than the 2?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I never got Alpina. What do they even do? Tart sideways GT cars?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Alarbus posted:

In theory, xDelete will fix this. It's finally been released for the F series, and they've done a few app updates at this point.

Edit: No promises on quality, but here you go:

Can't you go totally scorched earth and pull the fuse, but that will also disable ALL electronic aids?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

rscott posted:

You can get a nice 128i M Sport for like $10k and it will feel a lot more like an old BMW than either generation of 2 series. Naturally aspirated inline 6, hydraulic steering, manual transmission, etc.

Where are you finding these 128i, any trim, with a manual.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Well, after a few year absence I can finally feel at home in this thread again. Picked it up yesterday. Just a 228i Xdrive but it feels the closest to the e46 330Ci I used to have of anything I've driven so far. Except noticeably faster.

I would have been fine with leatherette but it had black Dakota so I'm not complaining :shrug:

This is the modern BMW to buy, although I'd prefer with no xdrive.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

assuming one can find a low mileage e9x, i fail to see why anyone would purchase any newer bmw over that

E82 with M sport package is my ideal car from that vintage but there isn't a manual within 1000 miles of here.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 24, 2020

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Would the warranty start on that when you bought it?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Yep. E92 rear looks great but the front looks terrible. E82 is better looking overall.

I have always thought the E92 rear looked bad from the side. The rear wheel well always looked too small to my eye.

That shrinking to a 1/2 series dimensions fixes this.

Speeding chat. In AZ they are trying to pass a law that north of 85 would not be criminal speeding, so on our 75mph highways you could go 95 and get a $250 fine. Anything 10mph and under would cost $15 and not be reflected on your license.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 6, 2020

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

After my sister's boyfriend's Audi A7 got totalled by someone running a stoplight, they bought a used 2015 750li for the intention of it being a fun-for-him-to-drive, huge family car to carry around her 9 year old and his friends/sports gear/cello or whatever kids do + a big-rear end dog.

They both hated it, him because it was too boatlike to drive - that V8 is not what you call 'tuned for excitement' - and her because it was too boatlike to drive with regard to size, but mostly because it was not big enough inside for all their nonsense despite being massive to park. So good luck?

The A7 is my favorite sedan.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Disappointing to know that mine would only net me $10k at the absolute upper end if I pretty it up. Oh well, daily it every day until the comet hits I guess

I think of the dollar difference between what I paid for a car and what I sold it for as the fee for driving/enjoying the car for that time. Always ends up being worth it to me.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2...d_placed_outbid

This thing is going to go for such silly money.

Were you the one looking for a wagon a little bit back?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2014-mercedes-benz-e-class-31/

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

flightless greeb posted:

I was looking at F31s also and that one is basically perfect ugh. I ended up buying a VW tho to be cheap, hopefully cars like that are still around in a couple years when I decide to upgrade!

Have bad news for you about 3 wagons....

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

meatpimp posted:

So y'all don't have to look it up.

Toyota 86 called, wants its headlights back.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

beanieson posted:

Is the 86 gonna be a BMW too?

Imagine the 2.0 from the 230i in an 86.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I think my limit on this is 40k, since at the end of the day it's a 2 year old 3 series wagon. Wonder if I have a chance at all.

That's a lot of cash for an old 3 series without a 6 cylinder engine.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

It’s for my wife.

It’s for my wife.

But seriously, there aren’t a lot of decent wagon options these days.

The Volvo V60 caught my eye parked in the neighborhood. No way I'd get the turbosuperhybridcharged one, but the regular turbo is probably fine. And they have the best audio around if you get the nicer system.

Bummer she doesn't like the E Class.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Taking a second look at these pics today and I really like it except for the dumb grille, but I think I could grow to deal with it. I wonder what it looks like in black instead of chrome.