Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Anyone have any experience with the new M3 Sedan? I'm looking at getting one as a daily driver. I won't be taking it on a track or doing any modding to it or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I drive a Dodge Durango right now with the 5.9L V8 so I am used to $100 or more a week to fill up.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

dangerous.hotdog posted:

How come you are looking at an M3 for a daily driver? Not saying that the M3 wouldn't make a fun DD, but the new 3s are no slouch either. The 335 has a great I6 300HP turbo engine with a more civilized drive (especially if you forgo the sport suspension and run-flats) plus with the money you save, you can get more options or even a hard-top convertible.
I'm looking at the sedan as I occasionally carry people around in the back seats so I'd like 4 doors. As for the M3 vs the 335, I don't know I just prefer the styling of the M3 over the 335. Realistically the car will just probably be driven on the weekends as I take the subway to work.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

kimbo305 posted:

M3 starts at $54k; 335 starts at $39k. Are the looks worth that much more to you?
I like that it has a V8 too. v:unsmith:v Also, I'm in Canada so the 335 starts at $50K and the M3 starts at $66K. :(

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Thoughts on the new 5 Series? I'm looking at either a BMW 550ix or an Infiniti M56S. I like that you can get AWD on the BMW with the M-Sport package. AWD is not available on the Infiniti with the sport package.

The Infiniti has an edge in HP (400 vs 420) but the BMW has some cool features like a heads up display and night vision.

Styling wise I like them both although I prefer the rear end of the BMW slightly more and the interior of the Infiniti slightly more. The Infiniti is supposed to have more rear leg room but that's not too big of a deal to me since 99% of the time I'm the only one in the car.

Anyway, both cars seem pretty closely matched and reviews of them seem to back that up. I'm thinking test drives will be the only way to sort this out.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 4, 2011

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Sole Survivor posted:

Since the X4 is the "coupe" version of the X3, which is smaller than the X5, that makes perfect sense.
Yeah the X4 is to the X3 as the X6 is to the X5. Personally I see a lot more X6 Ms then I do X5 Ms so making a X4 M makes sense.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

I don't see the point of an M version of the X cars. It's a crossover, not a sports car. It's still going to handle like poo poo.
Give a vehicle with a high profit margin an even higher profit margin.

Edit - ^^ that too. My sister is looking at getting a Macan Turbo for the same reasons.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Does BMW not sell Alpina cars in North America outside of the B7 for fear of competing with the M cars?

I had a chance to briefly drive a B3 when I was in Europe and its a really nice car. It's like a slightly toned down M3 and seems like it would be a much more practical car for me considering it would never see a track and just be an every day driver; plus it can be ordered with xDrive.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

On some cars when you put it into reverse you can adjust where you want the mirror to move to. It'll then "remember" that position so the next time you back up it'll move to the position you set it to.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Motronic posted:

This guy is the target market for the "stop loving up the M cars with lux goods and make a different high spec prestige line like Alpina from the factory that doesn't come with things that ruin it for people who don't want a sports car."

I totally get it.
Honestly, I would LOVE an Alpina B3. It's like an M3 but for someone who is never going to track their car and just wants something a bit nicer than a regular 3 Series.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think the video said it illuminates pedestrians and "wildlife" with infrared illumination out to 110 yards presumably so the night vision system can better see them.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

juche mane posted:

What that means?
it means to do this http://youtu.be/FSCnJ6bP73I

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Data Graham posted:

On that note—the plate on an unbadged F30 I saw just now on Park Avenue:

M3 LOLJK
I've seen a M3 with the license plate "I (heart) MEMES"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pierced Bronson posted:

For inclement weather X-Drive isn't bad, but for outright performance I assume Audi is superior. In the newer cars X-Drive uses two open diffs and an electric center diff and in conjunction with traction control it can supposedly bias 100% of the torque to any one wheel almost instantly. The people I've met on test-drives who ask about the X-Drive have invariably asked because "awd is necessary for winter," not because they're racing the car. Still, I haven't heard much on its reliability.

I imagine Audi is functionally much the same but probably has helical diffs front and rear or something. Watching BMW's demonstration would lead you to believe Audi is inferior in the snow, but who knows if they fudged the results by turning dtc off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvqQuC_8VrM

Edit: Actually quattro does exactly the same thing, but the center diff is a mechanical clutch type differential. The video I just watched made no mention of trick front/rear differentials in a quattro but did mention it uses the ABS to manage torque vectoring on the front axle. X-Drive has a slight advantage in that it can bias 100% of the torque front or rear versus Quattro's 85% to the rear or 70% to the front, but has a slight disadvantage in the complexity of the electric center diff mechanism and having to be "activated," though again this is nearly instant.

Yeah, since Quattro is mechanical instead of electronic so it requires a few rotations of the spinning wheels to lock up the clutch packs. That why they only have the woman give it gas for a moment before she stops. Otherwise it would have locked up the clutch packs and the Audi would have gone up the ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at9MBPhpJAQ

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was sitting behind an E46 today in traffic when it decided to dump the contents of its GDCS all over the pavement. That was follow rapidly by steam pouring out from under the hood.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Comedy option LT4 crate engine.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Popete posted:

Alright you guys are probably sick of seeing these but here is a car I'm heavily considering. I'm thinking if I can get it for 21k it would be a solid deal, CarFax came back clean with plenty of dealer maintenance. I confirmed it has had the Inspection 2 done recently.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5787036259.html

How big a concern is the rod bearing thing? I was ideally looking to get an 04 or newer but I don't know how common the issue is.

EDIT: I'm just gonna call BMW and see if they can tell me whether the rod bearing service action has been completed on this car. I would be surprised if it hadn't given it's had the Inspection 2 completed.
Ac schnitzer ebrake handle :eyepop: and they even included a picture to prove it

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It seems to vary between makes, models, and years but the 250 km/h (155 mph) limit can be hard, soft, or nonexistent.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 14, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

An 850 with a N73 or N74 swap would be cool.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was looking at getting an Audi RS5 Sportback when it comes out in November but the new M550i xDrive is cheaper and come with more features. All the reviews I read seem to indicate that it’s a really nice car.

I know it’s a newer model but are there any early issues with these cars? It seems to be really good value for the money. I figured it would be a lot more expensive.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Powershift posted:

I don't know if they've figured everything out with their turbo V8s, but the F10s were a loving shitshow.
Yeah that’s why I asked. It seems that the issue with the F10 V8s was more of a programming thing relating to how the batteries were charged. BMW couldn’t fix it because it would have altered the fuel economy.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Red_Fred posted:

The rears are Potenza S001 I think, a little old but the tread is not bad.
Uh those are performance summer tires. No wonder you can’t drive in the slush.

Summer tires become useless below like 43F / 7C. Get a set of good all seasons (like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3) if you don’t want a dedicated set of winter and summer tires.

Cojawfee posted:

Pretty sure the manual doesn't say to turn everything off. It just says to hit the button once to let the tires slip a bit but still have traction controls.
Yeah the manual only says to turn off everything if you’re stuck in the snow and want some wheel spin while you try and rock yourself out.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 30, 2018

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Red_Fred posted:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. When I replace the rears (probably next year) I’ll get some all seasons if possible. The S001s came with the car when I got it, overkill for my driving I suspect anyway.
You want the same tread patten at all four corners. Replace all four tires at the same time.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.motoring.com.au/bmw-is-sick-of-bad-3-series-reviews-115073/

quote:

Speaking at the Paris motor show last week, where the new BMW 3 Series sedan made its global debut, the company’s development chief Klaus Frohlich said the latest G20 version had to be the best driving car in its class.

“It has to beat everybody in the segment in driving dynamics because all the Australian, UK and American journalists say ‘ooh the E46 CSL was the last real 3 Series’,” Frohlich told motoring.com.au.

“I do not want to hear that poo poo anymore.”

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Popete posted:

With such high demand for their older models do you think BMW would ever go back and do a modern re-release of those vehicles?

Like release the e30 in a limited run, exterior mostly the same but the inside modernized. Has any car company ever done that?
Toyota re-released the Land Cruiser 70 for one year in Japan only to celebrate the Land Cruiser’s 30th anniversary. They gave it a new engine and made sure it met all current safety standards but it was the original Land Cruiser sheetmetal exterior.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Uthor posted:

Hello, goons, I am thinking about joining this BMW club. I'm looking at two 2015 3-series wagons. Same price. The only difference I see is that #1 has 49k miles and the luxury package and #2 has 23k miles without the package.

I'm not quite sure what the luxury package includes. I saw: heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, and a bunch of trim. Is there anything else?

Bluetooth audio should be on both models, right? I saw a 2014 review that said the lowest model only had Bluetooth calling and it freaked me out a little.

Thanks!
My boss bought a 2016 for her daughter last year and she hasn’t had any issues with it and really likes it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

This was interesting considering the M340 is heavier and is down about 20 HP and about 40 lbs-ft of torque. It seems to indicate that the next M3/M4 will be beasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqHCbqM0bBg

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was looking at the new M5 and M5C this weekend and the residuals for leasing are horrible. On a 36 month lease the residuals are 55%, 54%, and 52% for 10k, 12k, and 15k miles respectively.

I seem to recall F10 M5 having residuals ranging from 61% - 64% depending on milage.

Anyway, I suppose the positive is that off lease M5s should be a great deal in a couple of years.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jealous Cow posted:

The crash in 2008-2009 led to massive cuts to new car production, boosting used car values in the 2012-2016 range. This allowed manufacturers to raise residuals and offer very attractive lease terms. This flooded the market with new cars, and the market is correcting now causing residuals to drop.

This will be a problem for brands that built a lot of business over the past decade on low payment leases, particularly domestic and low-cost Japanese brands.

It also means the days of the $800/mo M3 are over.
That makes a lot of sense. It would explain all the posts I’ve seen with people complaining about monthly lease payments now compared to 4 - 6 years ago.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Keyser_Soze posted:

The final year 2016 F10's are coming in off lease right now and there are a ton of clean ones out here on the west coast. I'm actually semi-pondering grabbing a loaded one for $33k or so and putting mine up for sale. I am not interested in the newer G30 5-series at all.
The 2016 F10 M5s are showing up as CPOs and they’re really good deals.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Someone did the wrong kind of LS swap.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Big Taint posted:

Ya and he put the 530i badge back on for some reason.
And 3 exhaust pipes :confused: I guess one for every 2 cylinders?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

I doubt whoever made the decision to do that even thought about the M cars. Just that the 5 series is 4 doors, and 6 series is 2 doors, so they made that true for the rest of their lineup when creating the 2 and 4 series.
When they re-introduced the 6 series BMW said they were going to start shifting their naming convention so that even numbered cars were 2 door and odd number 4 door. That was later changed to coupe, convertible, and fastback/hatchback body styles were even numbered and “traditional” body styles were odd numbered.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Just a week ago I finally figured out that the button at the end of the windshield wiper stalk turns on some kind of weird sensor-driven reactive wiper system.
Rain sensing wipers?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Keyser_Soze posted:

It's crazy how since we posted this a few weeks ago that both the 2016 535 and M5 clean lease returns have mostly gotten gobbled up already. Of course if one wants an overpriced, overflogged version that's been auctioned twice already, those are still available!
I just had a look and you’re right. There’s only one nice M5 left around me. A couple of weeks ago there were 6 or 7.

I’m looking forward to the F90 M5s coming off lease. They have worse residuals than the F10.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Why would they all appear at once? I’d think they would be spread out through the year, depending on when people started their leases, no?
Yes, he was just pointing out that they're being sold almost as soon as they become available because they're great deals.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Somewhat Heroic posted:

EDIT: This was the best I could find on Autotrader: $36900 Blue M3 59k

quote:

All stock.

quote:

modified 2011 E90 m3 DCT ZCP
:confused:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The 8 speed dual clutch gearbox is a typo/translation error. It's the 8 speed ZF transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

didn't some dude have pussy shrapnel in his infiniti
Lexus IS-F.