Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Decided to go a different route for my winter car , was looking at a jeep previously

Landed on a 2013 X3 w/ 146k/km

Anything I should be checking out , looking out for , or otherwise changing now in anticipation of it failing soon ?

Also any cool tips tricks features I should be aware of ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

drat that's awesome , M2 competition!!

On my side of things. Just picked up my new to me - 2013 x3 ... is it f25 or some other E code ? I'm confused already

Also of.coirse after I drove it away I had an error when going into reverse , telling me the parking sensors are not available and to see a service center

This being an as-is sale the dealer understandably wont cover it

Question is how can I test / determine what is causing the error easily , if its just one of the sensors or the entire sensor unit

Thanks

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

The one thing I know about it is make sure that the color you want is the color that is ordered or what the factory puts on it. That one guy who bought one of the last V8 M3s basically had his entire experience ruined because there was a BMW individual blue that was one letter off from the blue he wanted and the factory hosed it up.

Sounds like a good way to get a free paint job at least

Or like my buddy when he ordered his audi and selected nardo grey

They delivered it in the wrong color , so the dealership paid for a full wrap job in nardo grey

Which in the long run is better because when he takes the wrap off the paint will be in pristine condition since its wrapped from day 1

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Popete posted:

If I remember the story correctly the guy refused the car, his reasoning being that BMW would only be able to repaint the car and it would never be quite correct as a factory fresh paint job which they could no longer do because production had ended.

If I ordered a car in one colour and it showed up in another I'd refuse to accept it, a free wrap isn't the same.

Yeah it's hard to decide. Especially if you've been waiting months for delivery

Imagine doing a euro pickup and discovering it's the wrong color ?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

any goons have experience with odbII port coding via the bimmercode app?

I have the recommended device and the app, but it seems like a lot can go wrong if you are not sure what you're doing

To be honest all I wanted to change was simple stuff like unlocking all the doors instead of just drivers with 1 press, since it's very stupid to open the drivers door and then have to press another button to unlock the rear door

And reset an error for my parking sensors if that is possible

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Alarbus posted:

The bolt lengths were different between E90 and F30, I think? I don't remember if the wheels were different thicknesses or what, but if you're doing F model to F model, it should be fine.

Be sure 17" clears your brakes, but if you have a 328 and those are from a 328, you should be good, unless you have M Sport, which I didn't think so?

Unlocking the doors you should be able to do in the on screen menu? I did that before I ever got Bimmercode because I'd get glared at by my wife. Auto folding and unfolding the mirrors was the big thing for me to buy Bimmercode, and using the advanced mode to enable the rear fog lights - the physical switch mods were super easy. Not sure what you mean about the parking sensors, if it's an error code, that would be cleared with Torque or something?

Anyway, the key thing with it is to do ONE THING AT A TIME. Yes it's slow and tedious, but it also reduces the chance of a fuckup along the line. I did one thing at a time and didn't have issues, but I also hooked up a battery tender just in case. All little bits of insurance.

I'm a 2013 F25 , and the only option for door locks in the idrive settings are auto lock at speed, and that's it

about 80% of the time I realize after I get out of the car, that I need in the back door, and reach in over the steering wheel to press the all unlock button

and the other 20% of the time I reach in my pocket and hit the unlock button on the fob

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Alarbus posted:

Googling the usual forums confirmed it, but wtf, that is the dumbest decision I've heard. I could change the settings using the indicator stalk and dash on pre and post LCI E90, and iDrive on the F30, but the X3 has no settings?

I guess my follow up question is if you've confirmed with the bimmercode site or other forums that it'll let you change it, vs needing full laptop and software?

yep from their website and confirmed by reading a few forums, i installed both bimmercode and bimmerlink on my iphone, and it will link to the odb adaptor i bought off amazon

excited to try it and see what I can do, will report back!

agreed though def. the dumbest thing i've seen not allowing you to set drivers/all doors to unlock in one touch

Keyser_Soze posted:

I did the whole Esys/PzData from Bimmerfest coding dudes for $100 or whatever via odb2 cable thing with a stinky old Win XP laptop on my last 2013 F10 and wasn't so horrible, but yeah, you just gotta go slow and take your time and only do an item or two at a time. Unfortunately, that laptop went with the car when I sold it last month.

Turning off the dumb rear end warning/chimes and setting other cool features was well worth it.

yep I plan to turn off the welcome chime, or at least change it to something less annoying, fold the mirrors on lock, and other basic things that other cars have been doing for ages :)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So update 1

Tried to plug in the obd reader , and it would blink quickly then turn off

Lots of google later , it's probably a burnt or missing fuse #3

Located the fuse panel and just .... seriously ? Its behind a tiny access panel in the glove box and you need the wrists of a 5 year old to reach in

I feel I'm going to snap something off or pull a wire out trying to get in there

Update 2:

So I got antsy waiting for my pizza to bake earlier, and I had picked up a pack of fuses from the store along with some long needle nose pliers

Went and pulled the fuse indicated, it looked fine but figured i'll replace it anyways... turns out i bought the wrong size fuses ...

Dropped the old fuse INSIDE the fuse panel area / glove box interior ... and it rattled around down somewhere inaccessible. fuckkk

Figured ok the fuse chart indicates fuse 3 is ONLY for the OBD port so nbd i'll just slap a new one in tomorrow when i return the incorrect ones

Tried to start the car and... no starty. oh oh....fuckkkkkk!

After cursing and sweating for a few minutes I figured I needed that fuse installed... managed to shake the glove box area and it fell down onto the carpet. YAY

Installed the fuse and bam, we have ignition.

Problem now was the traction control, abs, parking break, and everything else associated was warning and unusable... gently caress!!!

I worried I might have hit something else or blown another fuse dicking around in the panel... but after getting back home I plugged in the OBD reader I was going to use for bimmercode and bimmerlink.. and to my surprise now the connection works!

I was able to clear the errors, change the code for iDrive off when drivers door opens, and reset the ECU which cleared all the various problems!

successful night after all...

Tomorrow I will start digging into the coding and really make some changes

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 10, 2019

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Update 3 on coding using bimmercode

Managed to connect everything and so far have coded a few things , such as auto folding mirrors upon locking , single pull unlock of the drivers door instead of having to pull it twice from inside

Still cant figure out how to get it to unlock all doors with a single unlock though

Also noticed a bunch of stuff missing that I thought I could change like the chime sound , so not sure if its hidden for me

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Crunchy Black posted:

Welp, I did some serious thinking and figuring last night.

And (if you only view one thing make it this)
https://imgur.com/ZnJMV6G

The goddamn devil himself couldn't rip this stupid rear end grin off my face. If the economy shits the bed I guess I'll have to reevaluate but holy gently caress this thing is fun.

I'd put 25 of the 65 miles on the goddamn thing test driving it anyway...
:shobon:

already due for service in 1200 miles, sweet!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Is there some sort of update I can do for a 2013 F25, where it displays the first song from Spotify when connected via USB but none of the proceeding songs properly

As in they play and I can hit forward from the controller, but the album art and song info stays stuck on the first song played

I have the latest that the bmw site is telling me I can install for firmware

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Anyone have internet opinions on X1 versus X2 , and 2019 versus 2020 of both?

I have been considering trading in my 2013 X3 (which yes I just bought in October) but the deals right now are really making it hard not to look at a new car... 2.9% lease, plus loyalty discount, plus a 6.5% discount direct from the dealer

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jymmybob posted:

I had an X2 rental in Germany last year and it was ok but you could definitely tell it was lower tier than X3s. Plus I supply X3-X8 parts and not X1/X2 so the US built BMWs are obviously superior.

the age on my x3 is showing, I thought it would hold together but I'm afraid something big is going to 'give' on it anytime now. so I either save up to pay for the repair bill, or ditch it now before it snaps and put it into a lease.

i'm not too worried about going 'down a tier' so to speak, especially since the tech between 2013 and 2019-2020 is huge

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A reasonable proposition... I will discuss with the dealer

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Quick question on build sheet stats

X2 I looked at on paper, had the premium enhanced package, and M Sport X, but lists the interior as black leatherette

I thought with the M Sport X package you automatically had the Dakota leather seats, shouldn't that over ride the base black leatherette selection?

Unfortunately the car is a demo so wasn't available to be looked at when I was there

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I looked up Carly. This is interesting. Is it worth doing as a Filthy Casual? I daily an e92.

If you like to tinker with your car, it's fun

Allows you to change all sorts of variables, like brightness of the angel eyes, or number of blinks on the turn signal with 1 press

Plus the added bonus of seeing the codes and clearing them

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I might give that a shot, then. I also imagine I can use it to turn off the infuriating ice warning. I don't want to hear a high pitched BRINGGGG out of my BMW unless it's regretfully informing me I have to open my wallet again.

Yeah no poo poo... although I can't remember seeing an option to turn that off... but I bet it's in there somewhere

My TPMS seems super sensitive so every weather shift I end up having a low tire pressure warning

Now whenever the temp warning comes up it gives me a start and I go GOD DAMNIT not the tire again

I'm assuming the 2019 models are a little more smart?

Oh and turning off the seat belt chime.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Diametunim posted:

Quick question. I just noticed when I put my E46 into reverse the passenger side mirror adjusts itself to face the parking lot. How do I modify this behavior? Right now the mirror points itself straight to the ground.

In other brands I’ve driven you were able to set that mirror position as a saved setting and when in reverse it would goto the saved setting

BMW seems to be all or nothing from stock setup , as others said if you leave the mirror selector switch on that mirror it will prevent the movement

Curiously enough you can code it out completely , using bimmercode - which also shows hidden options of percentage the mirror will dip - 5-10-20-25% etc

I turned it off completely because I already have a backup camera. And looking at the ground by my wheel I lose that entire side of the car for situational awareness

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Hey BMW thread! I've been driving either American or Japanese cars all my life and, having a solid $10k CAD in the bank, I'm thinking of giving BMW a go (used). My recent experience with 2000s vehicles (a 2006 Impala with 150k miles) is making me a bit anxious about dropping that outright on a late 2000s car from a manufacturer that's notorious for being expensive to work on. I've seen a couple 2008-2009 335is for around that much with between 60k and 70k miles on them and I gotta say it's kind of hard to say no.

I guess what I'd like to know is, for one, are the horror stories of BMWs breaking horribly and needing their weight in gold to repair true or just the product of being raised by rather casual car owners (think "does their own oil changes and that's about it") in suburban North America, and what kind of problems would I be looking for in a 10-12 year old E90? Or should I just stay away from them entirely?

Originally I wanted to get an FR-S (again, that is -- I had one before bad financial issues hit and I had to sell it) but the experience of having to move in a tiny Japanese sports car has made me consider something a little more conventional in size, either coupe or sedan, but still fun to drive so I'm looking in the direction of the 335i.

Any car of that vintage you buy has a increased chance of making GBS threads itself apart and needing massive repairs, it's the tax of buying a 10+ year old vehicle. BMW simply means it will cost twice as much as a Toyota to repair

IMHO you're better off to put that 10k down on a lease/finance and enjoy a brand new car for 4 years with zero worries

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

In our republic of CALIFORNIA that would have been go directly to jail time

The fact that he was leading you should be argued as entrapment.

Difficult to argue entrapment when the car is unmarked, you would need some fantastic future goggles to be able to know it was a cop before he let you in on the secret

If he came from behind and was pushing to go faster, that's a bit easier I believe to argue

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

How much would BMW charge me for debadging my M5C when I turn it back in at the end of the lease? Asking for a friend.

I might have to wrap a few parts in bluestone but it would go from mostly sleeper to “silver passenger car” territory.

I believe if you keep the badges they shouldn't charge you anything, they can just stick them back on

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Big Taint posted:

needs a tuneup

Left headlight is crystal clear and the right is super hazy... so probably replaced, plus the scuffs allover the bumper and the missing tow hook cover

Makes me wonder what mysteries that car is hiding, what fun it has seen!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Diametunim posted:

Post your local 7 series poo poo heap. this one has less miles, costs less, and just needs a speed sensor. Bonus points for temp tags.

e: Assuming you were doing all of your own maintenance how much would it cost you to bring one of these up to snuff? I know it's going to be astronomical based on the horror stories. I'm genuinely curious.

Is mechanic special code for "I'm a mechanic, please take this it's a hunk of poo poo and I can't get it working right"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

rscott posted:

There is so much poo poo I didn't know how to do in my E82 without reading the manual and I don't even have iDrive, I can only imagine a 7 series is so much worse

I love playing with all the new toys and features when I get a car

Some people just don't care I guess, my friend has a 2018 Audi S4, beautiful car with interactive dash board thing and all sorts of bells and whistles

I got in and asked him how he likes the features, he's never touched any of it, all he does is get in and put it in drive

Never uses the nav, never changes the dash settings, doesn't even fiddle with the controller knob. The ambient lighting color hasn't been changed ever

It made my hands sweaty seeing it sitting there, wanting to be turned and pushed and adjusted.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Who the gently caress buys a car like that and doesn't check out the manual to see how things work? Just buy a Honda if you don't care what your car does. That's like when you ask someone what kind of car they have and they say "I don't know, a blue one". How do you know which car is yours in the parking lot if they only thing you remember about it is the color?

To be fair, he also owns an older corvette

So I think technology just isn't his thing, and it's more about the HP

I'd happily drive a car with 150hp if it had all the latest and coolest technology

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

LloydDobler posted:

Hey BMW thread, mind if I ask a dumb question? My nephew just bought an 04 745 LI for like $2800, from a "friend". He's had it less than a few weeks. It had a transmission light on "because it doesn't have traction control" when he bought it, and a brand new battery. After his first fillup it did this:

That's all I know so far, any clues where to go from here? Unfortunately he's 1000 miles away from me so I can't do anything but give advisory texts. The dealership of course wants $300 to hook it up, I told him to shop for an indy. Do you guys know of any obvious "Oh yeah it's the ABS module" kinds of things or are we on our own?

Should I tell him to kick his friend in the nards and make him buy it back?

Just pull the fuse that's powering that component and strap the seat belt in tight

WEEEEEEE

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

What I don’t understand is how they put a license plate on the front and said “yeah this looks good.”

to be fair it probably looks better with a plate, to help break up that massive grill

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

this may infact be the first time in history where people mod their car to eliminate more of the grill, rather than adding to it!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

fknlo posted:

That black poverty spec looks like a loving Grand Prix.

GAH!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Thoughts on the M340i ?

Is it basically a 3 series with some M parts tacked on and a tuned engine?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If you're looking at 2020 models then yeah, the M340i is a lot more car than the 330

3.0-liter inline 6-cylinder at 382 HP compared to a 2.0-liter inline 4-cylinder at 255

Plus lots of Ms and color stripes all over everything, of course

The M340i also has the advantage of not looking anything like the 2021 M3!

Right, the reviews I've read/watched are saying basically 'it's as close to an M3 as we can get until the new M3 drops'

Also from looking around the available tune's for it are now 460 - 510 stage 1-2 respectively

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why would you buy this car and not wait for the new M3 (other than the awful grille)

price mainly, as I imagine the new M3 will be at least 10-20k more than a fully loaded M340i

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Interesting turn of events tonight while driving to the parents

2019 x2 I’ve had since March with zero issues , it just had its first service a month ago

Tonight , Hour 3 into my 3 1/2 hour drive , goto pass another BMW driver , gas it and pull into the passing lane, start to accelerate more and then I get a warning on the dash about drivetrain problems and drive carefully with reduced power ... power cuts off and I limp past the other driver sheepishly and then he rides my rear end for the next 10km because I passed him slow as molasses

Made it to my destination but it was feeing very jerky and def had something wrong , I parked it and turned it off , hoping it would come back with no issues but the warning was still there

Drove a bit more and the warning went away but check engine light is still on

Is this ... common on a car with less than 20k ? It’s of course under full warranty but I’m wondering how bad it’s going to be

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Crunchy Black posted:

I suppose its important to note here that they were running on style 203s slightly lowered on an e46 touring, in Atlanta. I don't think I'd want them any bigger and they sure as poo poo didn't see anything other than downpours. They handled that one snow we got ~3 years ago okay but they were fairly new.

Bad gas?

I drove 500km on that tank without any issues, nothing changed the entire day I was driving , so not sure

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Oh I plan on it. I just have another 3 hour drive to bring it back home to the dealer. I wonder how much harm it will do to drive it that distance now

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Picked up this guy today

Immediately took it to the body shop guy I know, and had the spoiler and front lip added

I feel like I'm 19 all over again

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It’s my first “performance” car. And I also had trepidation regarding the fake M status

This thing is no slouch , it handles and pulls like a rocketship , I would 100% say it’s worthy of the badge

Sure it’s not an M3 , but it’s veryyyy close

Lip I bought off eBay , it’s not real Caron how never because I don’t want to pay for real carbon and have it all dinged up

Was about 160$ cdn from overseas , if you search m340 lip you’ll see a bunch of them for sale all similar pricing

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the color match between the hood and fascia is weird, like even weirder than normal plastic/metal differences

also nthing the big lol at the grille, and also the fact that the color is pretty much a dead copy of Audi Nardo Grey.

edit: i bet it is pretty fun to drive though so congrats!!

it is a hoot

I find the grill not as insulting as the new new 2021's though, even in person those are a sight to behold

Funny enough that's what I thought of the color since my friend had a Nardo Grey S4

Nardo is more flat, this is metallic and depending on the light can be the grey you see there, or almost black grey, and in direct sunlight you will see gold shining through from the metallic flakes

It's actually a pretty cool color !

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

MrOnBicycle posted:

I think a debadge would improve the look even more. It's great looking but I have a hard time with the grille surround on these newer BMWs.

This spec has the blacked out package, it's even worse with the chrome surround, which I would have instantly deleted had it not been done from the factory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

I got to see the new M3/M4 in person a few weeks ago. The yellow and green ones that have been making the circuit. Could not open it up or sit in but got nice and close. Those new carbon seats look real great. In some ways they work better in person than in pics.

The M3 is big enough that with the mew thinner seats I might consider one when the lease on my M5C is up...

The seats look crazy, like I was afraid to try and sit in it even though the sales guy offered, because I probably wouldn't be able to get out easily