Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My first experience with BMWs was actually with my wife's Mini. I know its not a 'proper' BMW, being front-wheel-drive and all, but all the parts are stamped with the familiar roundel. We bought this in March of 06, it is a 2003 loaded base model, 5-speed. I drove it for a year and a half while my wife (slowly) learned stick on it, and I fell in love with not only how it drove, but how it was put together. That was the first car that I really did more than oil changes on - belts, brakes, plugs, etc. I loved it and I loved the resources available for it.

When I was back to my Altima, I pined for something better. I didnt know how much I wanted to spend, so I looked at WRXs, Mazda3s, and by chance I saw an E36 vert for sale at a local car lot, so I took it for a spin. I fell in love. The vert was too expensive, so I waited for awhile... I ended up driving something like four different E36s before I got this one in Oct 07. 1997 328i 5-speed, 131k when I bought it, impeccable condition. I paid $6800. She now has almost 141k on it.

And there they both sit

Its been butt-cold this winter so all Ive done is oil changes and I got better headlights (still OEM, the ones on there had a bunch of salt on the insides). In the spring I hope to redo the whole cooling system, just in case, because I dont have any records for the car.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Understeer posted:

I don't own a BMW, but there is a used-car dealership near me that specializes in locating hard to find BMWs (http://www.enthusiastauto.com/). I think it's fun browsing through their inventory, checking out the E30 M3s and the E34 M5 Tourings they always seem to have.

As an F1 fan, I also thought it was great how BMW kept Sauber in their name after buying the team. Classy move.

I'm hundreds of miles away and I regularly check their inventory. I love the M5 tourings they have. And not too long ago, they had a 332ti in stock (a 318ti with the 3.2L M3 motor, and it was done properly with documentation it looked like).

Whats weird is that they'll have all these rare E30 M3s and supercharged M3s and such, and then out of nowhere, whoa a Jeep?. Trade-ins I guess.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

stump posted:

Fuel computer currently read 36.2 UK mpg average (30 US mpg), which seems a bit low, I'm not sure if perhaps there is something wrong with it or if I should just lay off the LOL pedal. Out of interest what mpg do you guys see out of your petrol models?

I get about 24-25 combined city/highway, if I keep it on the highway I get 32+ easily if I do 60-70.

Which I never do.

I get 26-27 mpg at a steady 80mph.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

XCPuff posted:

How much are most of you all paying on insurance for these? I've been looking at E36 328's and every quote I get is almost 400/month? I'm 25 and have one ticket on my record from almost 3 years ago?

I am a 26yo male with an E36 328, and I pay about $65-$70 a month. And I have a few points on my license, and one accident.

I do get a bunch of discounts though, like multi-car, and Ive been with them for 10 years. Being married probably helps, too. I have a $500 deductable btw.

My 328 is $5 a month cheaper than my '03 Altima was to insure.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

usurper posted:

I've whored this car around a little on AI, but I'LL DO IT AGAIN:

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, I absolutely loving LUST after your car. The only, ONLY thing wrong with it is that ridiculously long shifter, but you're taking care of that it sounds like.

frozenphil posted:

I think I may have shattered some folks' preconceived notions about BMW drivers the other day. On my way home from work I was blasting Kalmah - Tordah with the windows down and just rocking out in general. This Cherokee pulls up next to me and I see the dude driving and his passenger are rocking out with me and motioning for me to turn it down so they can talk. They are both covered in tattoos and piercings and had a look of amazement in their eyes at the dude in khakis and a polo rocking out to metal in his BMW.

:psyduck: "Who is that?"
:cool: "Kalmah"
:psyduck: "They rock, man!"

They threw up the horns and we went on about our way navigating through traffic.

I typically play some really obscure black/death metal really loud in the summer, and I usually get funny looks. Nothing like a dude in a BMW rocking out to some BOLT THROWER. I usually do this when I can't enjoy my car properly, for instance in city traffic or a long, boring highway slog.

If I happen to break away from traffic though, and especially if Im driving on one of the rare 'curved' roads here in northern Indiana, sometimes Ill turn my stereo off so I can listen to my engine and enjoy my car. Sadly, with traffic around here, this doesn't happen nearly as often as I wish.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

multiprotocol posted:

That looks like a newish 3 series, so pardon me if I say that your current wiring job looks like it goes over as well as a fart in church.

Are you calling his wiring job absolutely hilarious? :)

On-topic, I ordered about $200 worth of cooling parts for my E36 from bavauto... new thermostat, water pump, upper/lower radiator hoses, both belts, OFFICIAL BMW coolant (two gallons @ $18 each, owch) and a new expansion tank... I already have six spark plugs and a fuel filter that Im going to do at the same time, and I just did an oil change/air filter, am I forgetting anything maintenance-wise? Will I need anything else to replace the entire cooling system?

Do I need the special tool to remove the large mechanical fan at the from of the engine? I've heard both yes and no from various places.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 8, 2008

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Also, am I the only one that thinks the taillight cluster setup is AWESOME when it comes time to replace bulbs?

I mean, seriously, it took me longer to open the package than it did to replace the bulb. Open the access door, twist the stick thing, it pops out, the bulb is spring-loaded in it.

I couldn't tell you how it works, other than voodoo, but I wish all cars were this easy to replace bulbs in.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

frozenphil posted:

The PO of my car gave me an aluminum housing and a new thermostat and it got swapped on the day after I brought the car home (thermostat was dead so I was going to be in their anyway). He had already swapped in a new radiator, so I got lucky there.

Im pretty sure I have an aluminum thermostat housing, but Im not sure about the radiator - what should I look for while Im in there specifcally, with regards to the radiator?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

You might consider ordering the parts to do the fan delete mod. I've run this mod in Florida and it has never gone over 12 o'clock. And with the fan out of the way engine work at the front of the car is so much easier.

And like it's been said, give your radiator a good look over. I believe you can see the date of manufacture if you get under the car. If it's more than 5 years old I'd say swap it out while you already have everything out of the way. It seriously takes less than 2 minutes to swap a radiator once you have everything else is removed.

Besides that, how are your belts looking? Are the bearings in the idler pulleys starting to make noise?

The fan doesn't really bother me, and I'm hesitant to remove it in a car that is already notorious for its cooling problems.

My belts look OK, and I don't hear any noise from the pulleys, but when I drive through a puddle one of my belts starts squealing and slipping. That might be normal, but considering I dont know how long these belts have been on the car, I might as well replace them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

milieu posted:

STUFF

Please tell me you're joking for items 7 and 8.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I ordered the proper tool from Pelican Parts, it wasn't as expensive as I had feared. Sure I still paid about $25 for a wrench, but dammit its a special wrench.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
What do you guys think of the new X6?

Personally Im torn. Its too SUV, but looking at it, from certain angles, its more like a car with big wheels, ala the AMC Eagle. But with a twin turbo V8.

I think it looks good, but I want to hate it... and yet I cant... oh god help me make up my mind, internet strangers :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nutsngum posted:

No theyre not. The S in the IS means its the "sports" model which generally meant different gearing and suspension stuff. Youre thinking of CI which appeared on the e46 coupes. The e30 and e36 coupes were just I unless they were the sports model.

No, at least for the E30 and E36, the 's' denoted coupe, at least here in the states. I think the coupe also came with fancy pants suspension upgrades, and different wheels and stuff.

I searched for a coupe for months before giving up and settling on a four-door, and believe me, I looked at a LOT. I came to learn very quickly the differences.

Also, I found out that the coupe and sedan of the E36 share almost no sheetmetal. There's about 1.5" more between the front door and the front wheels, and the roofline/trunkline is different. The more you know...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BabyJesus posted:

I saw a 135i for the first time yesterday. Chicagoland area but it had out of state plates (East Coast?)... Pretty sharp looking car. I don't know if I could justify spending all that on a car when a 3-series is such a close competitor.

I think the thing is, a BASE 3-series is close. What's the base these days, a 328i?

What's the difference in cost between a 135i and a 335i? I know personally I'd rather have the 300HP twin turbo six than the 240HP N/A six, especially if its cheaper.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
OK you guys, what looks better:

The production BMW 2002 (turbo model shown)

Or the 2002 Frua GT4, which is essentially a 2002 but with a different body. This is what the 2002 almost looked like (shown is the prototype, before they decided to go the other direction).

A link to all the other Frua-bodied cars:
http://www.pietro-frua.de/bmw.htm

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I thought this was kind of neat...

http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/engines/6cyl.htm

There is some really neat stuff on that site, like an explaination of VANOS

http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/technology/vanos.htm

EDIT: OH GOD

http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/models/concepts/turbo.htm

The original M1 concept

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 18, 2008

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rear Admiral BOOYA posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/car/649753482.html

"Needs a Radiator."

So would I regret going and getting this for $900?

I'd be more worried about the 'runs and drives but needs a radiator.' Have they been driving without a radiator?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Understeer posted:

Do the E36 and E46 inline sixes require premium gas? I'm looking to get rid of my Evo for something more comfortable that also gets better mileage, and also runs on regular if possible.

My E36 328i says to use a minimum of 89, but I always put in premium (I think its 93 around here). I know its not 'better gas' and I'm usually the first to tell people to use the lowest grade their car tells them to, but it just seems that premium should go in there.

I'm really interested in this, too. Am I wasting my money, or is my car really made for the higher-octane Euro stuff?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

To be honest, both of those were automatics, and the must slower 128i. And verts, and it seemed that was the main problem they were having. OY, THE TOP IS DOWN AND IM SWEATY AND STICKY, I HATE THIS CAR!

Also, Judging by this quote

quote:

If the 128i came with a third pedal and a proper stick, would I buy one? Absolutely not. Our tester stickered at $44,375. For just $3k more I could grab a Shelby GT500 Convertible. It's not only an infinitely superior tanning machine, but the thuggee Ford doesn't look like a pregnant, pygmy hippo. Case– and roof– closed.

I can't really take it seriously. I mean, first of all, they maxxed it out. Second of all, they say they'd rather have a Mustang GT500. Thats like saying I'd rather have a Mustang GT than an E46 328i. Sure they're similar cars, but at the same time, vastly different.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Just posting in to say I did a little bit of easy work on my E36 last night.

- Fixed my swaybar end link, the U-bracket was cocked a little bit so the end link was turned at about a 45° angle from where it should have been.
- Replaced a missing roundel sticker on my wheel
- Replaced a turn-up plastic but underneath the brake cooling duct, it had been hanging down ever since the duct tape I applied wore off.
- Replated the front plate trim with front no-plate trim
- Noticed the rear O2 wires hanging down, their protective harness torn apart, and wrapped the wires in electrical tape and secured them
- Noticed oil on the bottom of the (manual) transmission housing, oh god I hope I dont have a busted seal or something. Will replace the transmission oil hopefully this weekend.

Nothing exciting, just some quick after-work stuff I needed to do.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Moruitelda posted:

I'm coming up on my oil change interval, and I'm wondering how to reset the countdown if I do it myself or visit a local (non-BMW) shop to have it done. Also, my owner's manual talks about the particular BMW oil, what type of consumer oil is the best choice for my purchase?

For reference, mine is a 2002 MINI Cooper S.

Thanks a lot in advance!

1. Locate the trip odometer button and depress and hold.
2. Insert the key into the ignition and partially turn into the first position.
3. Pay attention to the trip odometer to display the word ‘RESET’.
4. Release the trip odometer button, then press & hold it again.
5. The ‘RESET’ message will flash.
6. Release the button, and then press & release again (once only)
7. The service interval is now reset to 10,000 miles

From http://www.minicarparts.net/TechTips/MC-MCS_ResetOilIndicator.cfm

This is what I use on mine, and it works, though I think it resets to 15,000 on my non-S.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Moruitelda posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for what oil to use?

Im pretty sure BMW/Mini say to use Castrol Syntec 5W30.

Thats all Ive ever used, and it seems to make the car happy.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Lufiron posted:

You obviously haven't seen the latest xDrive system with the QMVH rear differential that is found on the x6.

Imagine controlling power to the rear wheels side to side, not by pulsing the brakes, but by actually controlling the flow of power to each rear wheel.

The x6 is ugly, but its AWD is beautiful.

But the question was with regards to an E46 3-series...

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

FastBurner posted:

I actually got one of these last month. It's an amazing car. If anyone is on the fnece about buying one, feel free to ask me any questions. For reference, I have it with the manual transmission and winter package only and I've put about 1200 miles on it.

I'd be interested in some pictures of the car... did you get the 128i or the 135i?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Pissingintowind posted:

:siren: Can any of you OBDII E36 coupe owners help me out by testing some stuff? :siren:

If you want to help, tell me these things for both passenger and driver side doors and the trunk:

1. Do your windows/sunroof open when you hold your key in the unlocked position in a closed door?

2. Do your windows/sunroof close when you hold your key in the locked position in a closed door?

3. Do your interior lights turn on when you lift the handle of a locked or unlocked door (obviously, ignore the trunk for this one)?

4. Does everything (including the gas tank) lock at once when you turn the key to a locked position?

5. Does everything (including the gas tank) unlock at once when you turn the key to a unlocked position?

This is all to help me isolate a problem I'm having.

In my situation:

1. No for both sides, and never did as long as I owned the car
2. Used to for both sides, now only does on passenger side
3. Used to for driver side, can't recall if it did or did not for passenger side, but it doesn't now
4. Everything except for the gas tank
5. Everything except for the gas tank (which doesn't seem to lock for me)

For the record, I have a 03/1999 M3.

Hate to say it, but yes to all.

Here's a simple question for you E36 folks... if you push the 'sunroof close' button in all the way, does it fully close automatically? Mine opens automatically but I have to hold the button to close it, and I want to know if I can replace the switch and fix it, or if its supposed to be like that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

hedge posted:

It's a safety thing for the US market but you can get a Euro market switch that does auto close.

My OBD II sedan is yes to everything on that list except #1.

ah hah, so mine isn't broken, its just a dumb safety feature!

Is it only the switch that would need replacing?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I suspect my clutch may be going (original, Im pretty sure, at 144k miles) cause it seems like its slipping. It still passes the fifth gear test though, so I may have some time. Car is a 1997 328i.

Anyway, I did some looking online at clutch kits, and Im not sure which one to get. I'd prefer an OEM one, since I don't exactly race the car or anything, but Im open to options. I've been looking at the following two:

http://tinyurl.com/4mxtsl
Pelican Parts super clutch kit, $415.75

(no url available)
Bavarian Autosports clutch kit p/n CK M52 EARLY, $404.95
"Our kit contains: an alignment tool, clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, rear engine seal, pilot bearing, all transmission seals, exhaust gaskets, and a pivot pin"

My concern is that the two kits come with a lot of different parts - the bavauto kit comes with tools and stuff, while the pelicanparts.com kit comes with a new slave cylinder and hose... I know I need the tools, but will I need a new slave cylinder?

Also, how hard a job is this? I've never done anything this in-depth, but it seems pretty straightforward, just time consuming.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

unknown poster posted:

I really hate the look of the 1-series, it looks like a fat old man.

I didn't at first, but its really grown on me after seeing some in person. If it ends up being the only BMW left untainted by iDrive, then it'll be the only BMW I'll buy new.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Where is the hood light switch located on an E36? Mine goes on while the trunk is being opened, but after about 30° it goes off again. Very annoying.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Pissingintowind posted:

This might not be the switch. Read this.

oh god I hope its not this... definitely will check it out though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My '97 328i manual transmission says it requires ATF fluid. pelicanparts says swepco 201 is the best, but any gear oil will suffice. I put in Mobile 1 synthetic 75W90. Did I do good?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

snugglz posted:

CornHolio -- FWIW, I stumbled upon this thread that has some mixed opinions on running 75w90 in a ZF tranny (there are another dozen or so just like it of Bf.C). Lots of dick waving in the thread, but maybe some useful info... YMMV would seem to be the consensus.

Reading that thread makes me think my transmission is going to explode now... although Ive put about 400 miles on it without a problem.

Guess I know what Im doing this weekend.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
well I called the dealership and they said if the case says ATF on the side, you'd be a moron to use 75W90.

So, I'm a moron. I guess Ill be changing it this weekend, if not sooner.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well somebody on the pelicanparts.com tech forums posted this:

quote:

You may want to change it, drive a few weeks, and change it again since gear oil is kind of sticky and may not drain out well. It will need to be flushed out.

I once destroyed a 5-speed manual in a 1991 Volvo wagon by doing exactly what you just did. It took several years and 75k miles, but the tranny was unrepairable and I blame the fact that I was using synthetic gear oil rather than ATF as the manual suggested.

crap. I guess let this be a warning to others, gear oil goes in the back, ATF goes in the middle, motor oil goes in the front!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

WarmWaffles posted:

Well I had fun restoring this car for the last 4 years. It still has a long ways to go but I can't afford to do any more to it and I am in the process of selling this car :(

Good ole' fashion 1972 2002.

How much and where are you located?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Replacing a fuel pressure regulator on an E36: A loving PAIN IN THE rear end, CHRIST. Get a second person to help you hold poo poo out of the way while you work.

Results: no more hesitation, instant throttle response, and finally being able to move faster than a snail in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear while lower than 3k RPMs.

How did you know it was going bad? Im curious in case I ever need to do this.

Also, I broke a loving torque wrench today. I was tightening my transmission drain plug (see above) and I had it set to 37 ft-lbs, and its getting tighter and tighter, and Im wondering why the hell it wont click, and well it never did. I must have tightened it to 60-70 ft-lbs before I realized it was never going to click, so I had to back it out (could barely do it) and tighten it to what I think is about the right tightness.

Goddammit, I paid $80 for that wrench, stupid Pep Boys POWERBUILT brand. The worst thing is, since I bought it in the fall, every Pep Boys in the area closed, so I cant even take it in for a replacement.

loving poo poo-rear end torque wrench.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Is there somewhere where I can find a full listing, with photos, of the different stock E36 wheels?

I have no idea what '7JX16 double-spoke style 30' or ''7x15 20-spokes' are.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
According to the latest Roundel, BMW is going to have a 3-series tii. Not sure if it means a concept or a production car, but still... this would be totally awesome.

carbon fiber body parts, an M differential bigger wheels/brakes, and engine mods good for +35HP... :hellyeah:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

When does the Roundel get mailed out? I signed up for BMW CCA a couple weeks ago, and was looking for an issue. waaaaa

Usually around the first of the month. You might have been too late though, I dunno.

You can see it online, I think, if you log in at https://www.bmwcca.org. They also have backissues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I thought this was amusing

M6 SMASH ARMY TRUCK